Why no limited slip rear-end for the 2015+ trucks?

KevH

The old mechanical LSDs were replaced by the electronic locking differential.

Don't know about Ram but GM has been electronic for a while now too.

They're kind of "limited locking" at low speeds only.

Edited by MY93SHO

They're kind of "limited locking" at low speeds only.

I didn't think they were necessarily speed limited - just not for use on dry pavement. But if you think about it - the only time you really need it is in slippery conditions to begin with, so if you're slipping lock it and it works the same way.

• Like 1

I didn't think they were necessarily speed limited - just not for use on dry pavement. But if you think about it - the only time you really need it is in slippery conditions to begin with, so if you're slipping lock it and it works the same way.

Speed limited as in they don't activate at 75mph going down I-90.

According to this we're both right.

"The electronic locking differential is a device housed in the rear axle that allows both rear wheels to turn at the same speed. The electronic locking differential can provide additional traction should your vehicle become stuck. You can activate the differential electronically and shift it on the fly within the differential operating speed range. The differential is for use in mud, rocks, sand, or any off-road condition where you need maximum traction. It is not for use on dry pavement."