"Real People" experience

MY93SHO

http://jalopnik.com/somebody-from-chevys-dumb-real-people-ads-spoke-out-abo-1795489304

Despite being aware that almost everybody is annoyed by Chevrolet’s “Real People” series of advertisements, the automaker isn’t planning to stop anytime soon. Finally, one of the “real people” has spoken about what the experience is like, and it’s just as cringe-worthy and hilarious as you’d imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

it amazes me that they all say positive things. You would think someone would be a little more critical. Of course that would never make the air!! LOL

It doesn't necessarily surprise me. Put on the spot like that, you're more likely to try to say something positive than negative. And, as you said, anything negative you say wouldn't be put in the commercial anyway.

it amazes me that they all say positive things. You would think someone would be a little more critical. Of course that would never make the air!! LOL

I've never been in that specific situation but I did do a focus group a few years ago where we ended up previewing the 2015? Camry, which was underwhelming. All of us were owners of other makes and models - Fusions, Passats, Malibus, Accords, etc. We really went out of our way to find something nice to say - which for most of us was limited to "nice wheels and headlights". I thought we were going to see a new Ford and when they opened the door and we saw a slightly refreshed Camry there was an audible collective sigh. Privately we trashed it but on the record we were not as harsh.

I wonder how many they go through before finding enough to air one commercial?

• Like 1

I've never been in that specific situation but I did do a focus group a few years ago where we ended up previewing the 2015? Camry, which was underwhelming. All of us were owners of other makes and models - Fusions, Passats, Malibus, Accords, etc. We really went out of our way to find something nice to say - which for most of us was limited to "nice wheels and headlights". I thought we were going to see a new Ford and when they opened the door and we saw a slightly refreshed Camry there was an audible collective sigh. Privately we trashed it but on the record we were not as harsh.

I wonder how many they go through before finding enough to air one commercial?

I have a friend whose dad worked for the JM group (which is one of the main Toyota groups in the southeast), and years ago around 2007 or so, I saw him with his dad who showed up in the then-brand new '07 Camry (pictured below for reference), and I remember him telling me how the grille badge was a design "only Toyota has been able to do" the way it sort of bulged out of the hood/grille. I kept my mouth shut, but I've always thought that nobody has done that design because it's ugly.

2007_toyota_camry_angularfront.jpg

---

I'm sure they have quite a few groups. Even in the commercials, you see several groups of people, so I imagine they'd have more that they don't use.

God I hate my generation

I often wonder how much is just manufactured about your generation, so the press/media has a "whipping boy" to use.

Not to say that Gen X was much better (We had our goths, etc) but seems like millennials get dragged through the mud for EVERYTHING

I often wonder how much is just manufactured about your generation, so the press/media has a "whipping boy" to use.

Not to say that Gen X was much better (We had our goths, etc) but seems like millennials get dragged through the mud for EVERYTHING

It's not even that, it's this whole attitude of a good chunk of millennial. This whole 'don't stereotype me even though I fit every stereotype about millennials there is' attitude' or being offended by EVERYTHING. It drives me nuts.

I actually got called a nazi because I think there should be a time limit on unemployment benefits. It's maddening.

There isn't?

IIRC it was 90 days at one point then went to 52 weeks back about 10 years ago..but that was a special case.

Most of it is true but may only apply to a small percentage of millenials. Some things are almost universal though such as being attached to smartphones and social media, starbucks and not getting your driver's license immediately. :)

Most of it is true but may only apply to a small percentage of millenials. Some things are almost universal though such as being attached to smartphones and social media, starbucks and not getting your driver's license immediately. :)

all of that sounds exactly like my sister in law