Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How about a Falcon?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bikinchris

bikinchris

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 25-July 14
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Transit Connect

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

I woud like to see Ford make a lightweight car tat would compete on the ST level of the Continental Sports Car Challenge. The Miata, Porsche Cayman etc. would the the target. The 2.3L engine used in the Mustang would work great. I know it would likely be a "me too" car, but it would be a good car for young people.

The Falcon was a sporty car built before the Mustang was introduced and would be a good name for it.

Edited by bikinchris, 13 May 2017 - 08:45 PM.

• Trailhiker likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Joined 07-May 17
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Edge Ltd AWD

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:16 AM

Didn't the Falcon and the Mustang share chassis and drivetrain?  The Falcon had a smaller straight six (144cid) than the six in the Mustang tho (200cid).  It was Robert McNamara's project at Ford before be became SecDef for JFK then LBJ.  The '67 Falcon Futura Coupe was actually not a bad looking little car.  (Yes, I can remember back that far.)  It would be cool to see another Ford Falcon come off the line.

'53 Mercury Monterey | '55 Fairlane | '65 Mustang | '72 Maverick | '92 Explorer | '98 Explorer | '11 Edge | ?? |  USCG '77-'83 MSO LA/LB CGC Pt. Evans SAR Team 

#3 OFFLINE   ehaase

ehaase

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Joined 04-November 99

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

The original Falcon had a 144 and a 170. The early Mustangs had the 170 as standard but soon the 200 was standard. I know the Fairlane's 260 V8 was available in the Falcon by 1963, and of course the 289 was around by 1964.  

The 1966 Falcon basically was a short wheelbase  Fairlane, and the 1966 Fairlane and Falcon wagons had the same body. This is a great article on the Falcon platform, but I really don't know how much the 1960 Falcon and 1962 Fairlane really had in common, other than being unibody.  I love these cars and I love how much Ford got off the 1960 Falcon and 1978 Fox platforms. (I admire the Chrysler K platform for the same reason.)

http://www.curbsidec...dth-variations/

#4 OFFLINE   Trailhiker

Trailhiker

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 30-December 13
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fords...always Fords

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

Falcon is a great name, and I would like to see it used again. If not for this, then maybe to replace the Fusion or Taurus name.

#5 OFFLINE   MKX1960

MKX1960

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 271 posts
  • Joined 12-June 07
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Explorer Platinum

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

I woud like to see Ford make a lightweight car tat would compete on the ST level of the Continental Sports Car Challenge. The Miata, Porsche Cayman etc. would the the target. The 2.3L engine used in the Mustang would work great. I know it would likely be a "me too" car, but it would be a good car for young people.

The Falcon was a sporty car built before the Mustang was introduced and would be a good name for it.

Any name ever used on Ford or Mercury would never fly on a Lincoln. Even sharing Ford platforms gets comments like "nice Ford" or "fancy Fusion".

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 26,207 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Ti (Ruby Red)

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

Any name ever used on Ford or Mercury would never fly on a Lincoln. Even sharing Ford platforms gets comments like "nice Ford" or "fancy Fusion".

Who said anything about Lincoln?

2013 Fusion Titanium (Ruby Red)
2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve (Luxe/Cappucino)

#7 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX Elite

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

Didn't the Falcon and the Mustang share chassis and drivetrain?  The Falcon had a smaller straight six (144cid) than the six in the Mustang tho (200cid).  It was Robert McNamara's project at Ford before be became SecDef for JFK then LBJ.  The '67 Falcon Futura Coupe was actually not a bad looking little car.  (Yes, I can remember back that far.)  It would be cool to see another Ford Falcon come off the line.

cough-cough Lee Iaccoca cough-cough

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

#8 OFFLINE   bikinchris

bikinchris

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 25-July 14
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Transit Connect

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Who said anything about Lincoln?

The Mercury equivalent to the Falcon was the Comet. But Lincoln never cared about selling any equivalent auto.

#9 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX Elite

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:02 AM

The Capri and Zephyr are both Lincoln names that were re-purposed at one point for use in the Mercury lineup. I am sure there were others too, just those are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

#10 OFFLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,973 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Focus, 2015 Focus

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

The Capri and Zephyr are both Lincoln names that were re-purposed at one point for use in the Mercury lineup. I am sure there were others too, just those are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

When was Zephyr used for a Mercury?

What? What happened?

#11 OFFLINE   J-150

J-150

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

When was Zephyr used for a Mercury?

IIRC, an early 80s Granada rebadge.
  • fuzzymoomoo likes this
I want a 5.0 equipped Focus

#12 OFFLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,973 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Focus, 2015 Focus

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

ok, did not know that!

What? What happened?

#13 OFFLINE   2b2

2b2

Mercury C557 wannabee

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Joined 21-August 04
  • Current Vehicle:econobox

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

quick google-wiki

https://en.wikipedia...Mercury_Monarch was the Granada sibling.

http://wikicars.org/en/Mercury_Zephyr & https://en.wikipedia...i/Ford_Fairmont

Edited by 2b2, 29 May 2017 - 02:45 PM.

• J-150 likes this

It’s not a journey. Every journey ends, but we go on. The world turns and we turn with it. Plans disappear. Dreams take over. Yet wherever I go, there you are. My luck, my fate, my fortune. MERCURY. It's inevitable.
Posted Image

MMXX

#14 OFFLINE   ehaase

ehaase

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Joined 04-November 99

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

Zephyr was the 1978 to 1983 Mercury version of the Fairmont.

The 1975 to 1980 Mercury version of the Granada was the Monarch.  The Granada and Monarch and later Lincoln Versailles were the last cars based on the 1960 Falcon platform. 

When the Granada moved to the Fox platform in 1981, the Mercury version was Cougar (Cougar XR7 was the Mercury version of the Thunderbird). In 1982, the station wagon model moved to the Granada and Cougar.  There was a Cougar wagon in 1977 (LTD II) and in 1982 only. The Granada and Cougar were replaced by the Fox LTD and Marquis in 1983. 

Ford did a lot of shuffling in those days.  The Fox platform Fairmont replaced the Maverick, but ended up as Ford's intermediate platform, though a little smaller than GM's A body. The Taurus finally made Ford competitive in the intermediate class. 

Edited by ehaase, 29 May 2017 - 05:04 PM.

• J-150 likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·