2018 Taurus??

Can run all the TV commercials [most fast forward them on DVR anyway] you'd like, but nothing will convince buyers that who wants higher seating and room to go to a "traditional" big car. Falcons would be suffering same fate.

Even if gas prices go up, may get more compact sales, but big cars are a niche and who knows if any will stick around. Fusion will be the 'big car' soon, and maybe they should make it a hatch.

Edited by 630land

It would be more correct to say Freestyle -> Taurus X -> Flex, but you can really only say that the Flex superseded the Freestyle/Taurus X. You can't really say that the Freestyle became the Explorer, as the Flex and Explorer coexist(ed), and they occupy different niches.

I think Mulally was more concerned with not throwing away 20 years of brand equity. The basic structure of the Five Hundred/Taurus was set before Mulally came on board; it would've been hard to make it more or less car-like when all they were doing was moving the name from a dead platform to a current vehicle and fixing the blah styling of the Five Hundred.

I know this was about MKS and not Taurus but he did send the design back a couple of times saying do more,

the Taurus then followed on from that. It's clear the brass were focused on Utilities and by inference preparing

for the huge exodus of buyers that has been occurring in the past ten years. Using the Taurus name was clearly

a measure to help to transition buyers especially once the plan to kill Crown Vic was announced.

The D3 Taurus already had the advantage of shared floorpan and higher H Point, often criticized over the years

but probably the reason Taurus is hanging around for so long. I''m simply wondering whether a next gen large car

design could take that into consideration and be more closely based on Explorer, pick up a few more features like

added interior room (over Fusion) and more utility thanks to a rear hatch while still looking a bit like a sedan.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I know this was about MKS and not Taurus but he did send the design back a couple of times saying do more,

the Taurus then followed on from that. It's clear the brass were focused on Utilities and by inference preparing

for the huge exodus of buyers that has been occurring in the past ten years. Using the Taurus name was clearly

a measure to help to transition buyers especially once the plan to kill Crown Vic was announced.

The D3 Taurus already had the advantage of shared floorpan and higher H Point, often criticized over the years

but probably the reason Taurus is hanging around for so long. I''m simply wondering whether a next gen large car

design could take that into consideration and be more closely based on Explorer, pick up a few more features like

added interior room (over Fusion) and more utility thanks to a rear hatch while still looking a bit like a sedan.

You mean something along the lines of this?

volvo-40-2-concept_100554668_m.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, when I said Crossover, I was talking BMWs and Honda Cross tour

I think something more notchback looking like that Volvo would be more successful than something looking like the Crosstour.

I dunno but if it was tasteful in the flesh, maybe buyers would accept it..

Edited by jpd80

I haven't seen it in person (and FWIW, the Volvo concept I posted is small - compact size), but I like it in pictures.

Did anyone else hear the rumors of a few Crown Vics running around Dearborn with the 3.5eb under the hood back in 2011 or so? I'd really like to get my hands on one of them......

And that about sums up the Panther Mafia....love them Crown Vics, as long as you buy it used.....lol

Not as all, think crossover in terms of 5-door hatchback car on raised ride height.

perhaps like this...

imagem2102_2.jpg

A Full sized car that's basically a 5-door hatchback crossover would not step on the toes of Explorer,

it would offer a superiorexperience to the current D3 Taurus and encourage more buyers back to Ford.

Of course the Germans would design a car that looks like a zeppelin...

The

I think that will be a big hit for Volvo!

Keep in mind that's a compact and we're talking about something the size of a Taurus/Explorer,

sometimes those styling cues don't quite transfer onto a larger design.

As someone mentioned, the earlier EUCD Mondeo Hatchback has a similar bustle on its hatch,

add that to the CD4 Taurus and turn the whole thing into a crossover and you'd have a basically

and enlarged version of the Volvo concept..

2012-Ford-Mondeo-Zetec-PwrShift-TDCi-MC-

Ford did try the "elevated sedan" with the Five hundred/ Taurus, but when they turned it into the sexy Taurus, much of the usefulness was thrown out the window. The Five Hundred was the right idea, but the wrong execution of the plan. It is almost like the Aztec/Rendez-vous was the right idea of coming out with the CUV market, but the plan was badly mangled.

Some kid who goes to my gym bought a Five hundred and put new wheels and a few other subtle after market parts on it and it was night and day better looking! If I see this car in the daytime I'll snap a pic.

• Like 1

Only "big" cars that are selling OK are luxury makes, like new Continental. The "Chinese" Taurus would be criticized for "looking too much like a Fusion" if attempted to sell here.

The sales are just not strong enough to justify the change.

As Fuzzy mentioned a while back, the original plan was Mustang-Continental-Taurus across three shifts at FRAP

but when they looked at actual demand, Taurus production would require a third shift but not enough fora full shift.

With weakening demand, Ford decided to leave things as they are and just re-balance Explorer-Taurus production as needed.

It's a case of not doing new product cycles for the sake of it and actually watching what the market and buyers are doing.

After the miss step of adding and then cancelling Fusion overflow at FRAP, I don't think they want a repeat of that situation.

It's a nice car but maybe adding newer engines and power trains to D3 Explorer and Taurus gets the job done more easily.

Edited by jpd80

The sales are just not strong enough to justify the change.

As Fuzzy mentioned a while back, the original plan was Mustang-Continental-Taurus across three shifts at FRAP

but when they looked at actual demand, Taurus production would require a third shift but not enough fora full shift.

With weakening demand, Ford decided to leave things as they are and just re-balance Explorer-Taurus production as needed.

It's a case of not doing new product cycles for the sake of it and actually watching what the market and buyers are doing.

After the miss step of adding and then cancelling Fusion overflow at FRAP, I don't think they want a repeat of that situation.

It's a nice car but maybe adding newer engines and power trains to D3 Explorer and Taurus gets the job done more easily.

To be fair, that seemed like a logical idea at the time, as Fusion sales were continuing to increase, and they were reaching capacity at Hermosillo between Fusion and MKZ production. Nobody saw such a dramatic shift away from sedans coming so quickly.

To be fair, that seemed like a logical idea at the time, as Fusion sales were continuing to increase, and they were reaching capacity at Hermosillo between Fusion and MKZ production. Nobody saw such a dramatic shift away from sedans coming so quickly.

Yes, nobody ( ie, Automakers) saw such a dramatic shift away from sedans coming so quickly.

I think the moment has passed and Ford has higher priorities with near future product deliveries.

It's just easier to maintain the status quo rather than spending money on another Taurus.

New Ecoboost engines and 9-speed auto courtesy of Explorer may be enough for the old girl

• Like 1

But why would Ford want to repeat the mistake Honda had with the Crosstour, when it clearly was not successful? That is with a brand where people come willingly no matter if the car is a POS.

What recipe will it take to make a car with this type of style successful? It seems to be a very niche market.

• Like 1

Styling was the Crosstour (zdx) and Venza disaster. The BMW/MB/Audi coupe crossovers have nicer proportions. Japanese styling has a lot to be desired in the past 10 years. When they needed more style to sell their cars they didn't have it down. Honda seems to at least in the last two years found nicer designs with its latest updates under the Honda brand. Acura on the other hand....

Edited by jasonj80

But why would Ford want to repeat the mistake Honda had with the Crosstour, when it clearly was not successful? That is with a brand where people come willingly no matter if the car is a POS.

What recipe will it take to make a car with this type of style successful? It seems to be a very niche market.

I think it's hard to clinic because buyers are still making up their minds, it's like auto companies

have to try to evolve cars in a certain direction to attract more buyers back.

Maybe that's why Ford isn't trying so hard with large cars, let the shake out happen and

see what's left and what those remaining car buyers actually want and whether that's

space efficiency of performance or both

Edited by jpd80

IIRC, they weren't just reaching capacity--they'd been running at capacity for pretty much the entire production run of the Fusion. That was one of the reasons for the delay in introducing the Fusion Hybrid; they were selling every Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr/MKZ they could make, so they would basically be trading sales for sales while adding complexity to the production line.

Hermosillo production peaked in 2012and Flat Rock came on line in August 2013,

adding 1400 jobs and costing $550 Million.

Just three months after starting production, Ford idles Flat Rock Fusion production

and then cancels it in February 2016, Production for that time was as follows

2015 ........41,452

TOTAL...101,944

So basically, Ford spent $550 Million to build 102,000 Fusion at FRAP but fortunately,

a lotof that equipment could be reused to build the Continental.

• Like 1

I predict 2018 will be last Taurus, with new CEO and all. Cops seem to like Explorers for patrol and they complain of Taurus lack of room.

Exactly and if Ford was that interested in big cars, it would correct those glaring deficiencies.

Under Fields, Taurus would continue as an incremental product with Explorer production

but now I'm not so sure if its better to discontinue it and focus on Explorers at MAP.

We live in interesting times...

Exactly and if Ford was that interested in big cars, it would correct those glaring deficiencies.

Under Fields, Taurus would continue as an incremental product with Explorer production

but now I'm not so sure if its better to discontinue it and focus on Explorers at MAP.

We live in interesting times...

Explorers at MAP would be an interesting development.

;)