Acura's mission with the TLX: Fix the styling

silvrsvt

They made it worse. I actually liked how it looked before they slapped this ugly grille on it.....it seemed like more of a true (styling) successor to the very good looking 2004-2008 TL.

I don't like this grill on the MDX either. It's just odd and seems like they picked a shape just to be different.

Honda's American designers get the blame for Acura TLX. Both the original TLX and the refreshed 2018 model were designed entirely at Honda studios in the U.S.

So, who is responsible for all the other ugly ass models coming out of the Japanese manufacturers? Let me guess, Ford...

• Like 3

I truly don't understand the Japanese anime styling. The new Toyota Prius is offensive to my eyes. Wonder if I can sue for pain and suffering of my eyes?

The new Lexus stuff is ridiculously over styled. I understand beauty is in the eye of the ? holder. But forget beer, straight liquor is needed to get past the ugly front ends.

• Like 5

Going against the grain here, but that doesn't look bad to me. The same nose treatment on the Acura MDX is an improvement over the previous beak, and looks better in the real world than in the photos.

Honda/Acura styling is far superior to that of recent Toyota/Lexus styling (granted, that's not saying much today).

If anyone wants to see example of a bizarre and/or confused styling from Honda/Acura, I'd suggest that the new Civic hatchback is a far more vivid example.

It's marginally better than the beak, not that that's saying very much. There are actually some nice themes happening here, but they're all out of scale with eachother. This is one area where I applaud Ford's recent designs: They've done a great job of keeping the scale of theme elements proper.

I truly don't understand the Japanese anime styling. The new Toyota Prius is offensive to my eyes. Wonder if I can sue for pain and suffering of my eyes?

The new Lexus stuff is ridiculously over styled. I understand beauty is in the eye of the holder. But forget beer, straight liquor is needed to get past the ugly front ends.

...And crash them into other objects... which may make them look better!

• Like 1

Many are still mad at Acura for dropping the Legend and Integra.

Those models are still around with different names. Honda Legend is mostly the same as Acura RLX Sport Hybrid. Integra's successor is ILX.

Neither RLX nor ILX are competitive with the better cars in their respective segments. That's what Honda and Acura fans are mad about.

Those models are still around with different names. Honda Legend is mostly the same as Acura RLX Sport Hybrid. Integra's successor is ILX.

Neither RLX nor ILX are competitive with the better cars in their respective segments. That's what Honda and Acura fans are mad about.

I owned one of the first Integras (86 Blue 3 door hatchback manual) and my buddy had one of the original 2 door Legend coupes. Those are nothing like the current Acuras. I think the 2 door Legend coupe is still one of the best looking vehicles ever made.

acura-legend-coupe-automatic-05.jpg

• Like 3

I think the 2 door Legend coupe is still one of the best looking vehicles ever made.

acura-legend-coupe-automatic-05.jpg

Yes sir, I agree! Second gen Legend coupe is a great and timeless design. It performed very well too. I can understand why many people who loved older Acuras are disappointed with Acura's current cars other than NSX.

One former Honda designer said "It's not as if Acura doesn't have a design heritage. They had this great second-generation Acura Legend coupe, which was seen at the time as a Japanese BMW." http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-detroit-honda-acura-exclusiv-idUSKCN0UN0IJ20160109

Edited by rperez817