Jaguar Land Rover April 2017 US sales up 35%

rperez817

Holy shit!! TStag is back!!

PS: It was still smart of Ford to off-load JLR...it would have never become what it is if it had stayed in the Blue Oval family and even you can admit that it was the right thing to do. Alan Mulally did the correct thing when he cue'ed up "One Ford", it saved the all of the companies so that you could continue to gush over the designs of JLR...welcome back.

Second Best Land Rover April sales month driven by strong performance of Range Rover Evoque

Evoque and the Discovery specs elude to a 250 hp 4cyl turbo engine. Would it be correct to assume this is the Ford 2.0 Ecoboost engine? So Ford still has some skin in this game - no?

Second Best Land Rover April sales month driven by strong performance of Range Rover Evoque

Evoque and the Discovery specs elude to a 250 hp 4cyl turbo engine. Would it be correct to assume this is the Ford 2.0 Ecoboost engine? So Ford still has some skin in this game - no?

For 2018 model year, Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport should get the 2.0 liter Ingenium gasoline engine. There are 247 hp and 296 hp versions of the engine. I don't know if U.S. market Evoque and Discovery Sport will get both. This engine was designed completely in-house by JLR with no involvement from Ford. https://blog.caranddriver.com/ingenium-inline-four-will-join-land-rovers-powertrain-offerings-for-2018/

2017 Evoque and Discovery Sport use the first generation Ford Ecoboost 2.0L turbo. This engine has been criticized for turbo lag and uneven power delivery.

....2017 Evoque and Discovery Sport use the first generation Ford Ecoboost 2.0L turbo. This engine has been criticized for turbo lag and uneven power delivery.

Then it must be something JLR is doing since turbo lag and uneven power delivery is not an issue when the 2.0L Ecoboost is installed in a Ford...

Then it must be something JLR is doing since turbo lag and uneven power delivery is not an issue when the 2.0L Ecoboost is installed in a Ford...

Just the opposite. There is NO turbo lag but it does run out of steam past 4500 rpm.

I don't know where these people get this turbo lag crap unless they're confusing it with the Electronic Throttle delay.

My 2.0LEB Fusion can chirp the tires from a standing stop without torque braking.

• Like 1

The few times I've driven the Evoque, I've found it slow.

I'd love to know how much money Ford made out of the ten year engine supply contract to Jaguar/ Land Rover.

I'd have to imagine that was the cherry on top of a fairly cheap sale price..

Up until the Ingeniums, all engines In those Jaguar land Rovers came form a Ford engine plant.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

^ icon_thumbs1.gif

sounds like the afaik-typical dealer business plan:

try to break even on the sale + 'get them' on maintenance

biggrin.gif

Yep, every one of those engines earned a profit for Ford - not as much profit per car as J/LR makes

but absolutely nowhere near the exposure to risk that Ford had when it had PAG either...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For 2018 model year, Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport should get the 2.0 liter Ingenium gasoline engine. There are 247 hp and 296 hp versions of the engine. I don't know if U.S. market Evoque and Discovery Sport will get both. This engine was designed completely in-house by JLR with no involvement from Ford. https://blog.caranddriver.com/ingenium-inline-four-will-join-land-rovers-powertrain-offerings-for-2018/

U.S. 2018 Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport both get 237 hp and 286 hp versions of JLR's Ingenium 4-cylinder gasoline engine. Confirmed yesterday. http://media.landrover.com/en-us/news/2017/10/2018-land-rover-discovery-sport-and-range-rover-evoque-get-performance-bump-latest

This officially marks the end of Ford supplied 4-cylinder engines for Jaguar and Land Rover.

U.S. 2018 Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport both get 237 hp and 286 hp versions of JLR's Ingenium 4-cylinder gasoline engine. Confirmed yesterday. http://media.landrover.com/en-us/news/2017/10/2018-land-rover-discovery-sport-and-range-rover-evoque-get-performance-bump-latest

This officially marks the end of Ford supplied 4-cylinder engines for Jaguar and Land Rover.

Back in 2012, Ford advised J/LR that it would not be able to guarantee full supply of 2.0 GDIT engines to it

and that it should explore other avenues of supply...

So now Ford supplies the 3.0 TT V6 gas engine, the 5,0 V8 gas engine and the two diesels, the 3.0 V6 and the 4.4 V8.

All of those engine supply contracts will either end or be extended next year.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

And then I found this article that Exposed J/LR's Q1 results (June 2017)

Jaguar Land Rover Weaker Profit Outlook Alarms Investors

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2017/08/11/jaguar-land-rover-weaker-profit-outlook-alarms-investors/#432cab6c18f1

The headline numbers looked good. In the first financial quarter ended June 30, JLR’s profit before tax rose to 595 million pounds ($772 million) from 399 million ($518 million) in the same quarter last year. But the profit included a one-time gain of 437 million pounds ($567 million) as the company changed the way it calculates pension liabilities.

So instead of a real $115 Million profit from operations, they added a $567 Million paper shuffling trick to get a conjured $772 Million result.

Beginning to think that $6.6 Billion war chests consists mostly of chocolate teapots.......

• Like 1