GM April 2017 sales down 6%

Fgts

Buick isn't the only GM brand that is changing into a CUV/SUV brand. The XT5 - along with the Escalade - is carrying Cadillac.

At Chevrolet, it appears as though the Cruze is eating into both Malibu and Sonic sales.

Edited by grbeck

I noticed that Chevrolet sells more Cruze and less Malibu where Ford sells more Fusion and less Focus.

U wonder why that is, just the newness of Cruze and perception of Malibu?

I'm thinking that those stronger incentives over at GM are finding their marks

and making sales (especially cars) look a lot better than they would ..

Colorado and Canyon sales are trending down. I guess GM will keep Wentzville factory on 3 shifts anyway... gotta book those revenue!

At the moment sales growth is definitely slowing - has GM found its mid sized truck sales level?

I'm thinking that the pent up demand is now sated and we're seeing sales numbers supported by incentives.

Another month or so of figures heading into summer will give us proof either way

Utilities continue to gain while car sales slowly ebb away, GM holding onto sales with incentives

is masking the trend to a degree, I don't thnk it can continue throwing money at segments coming

off the boil, GM needs to keep going a bit longer until those production cuts filter through..

Edited by jpd80

I noticed that Chevrolet sells more Cruze and less Malibu where Ford sells more Fusion and less Focus.

I'm thinking that those stronger incentives over at GM are finding their marks

and making sales (especially cars) look a lot better than they would ..

Because Cruze is cheaper than Focus, Fusion and Malibu? That makes a big difference in sales.

I have 3 words to explain why Fusion sells more than Focus. Dual. Clutch. Transmission. That thing did irreparable damage to the Focus' (and Fiesta) reputation as well as Ford as a whole.
  • Like 5

I have 3 words to explain why Fusion sells more than Focus. Dual. Clutch. Transmission. That thing did irreparable damage to the Focus' (and Fiesta) reputation as well as Ford as a whole.

Fusion has been outselling Focus since 2009. Fusion sold 305K at its peak a couple of years ago. Focus hasn't gone over 245K within the last 15 years.

Funny enough the ROW Focus doesn't use either 2.0 DI or Powershift, the Escape's 1.5EB and 6F and 6MT get the nod.

That simple change would have given the aging Focus the shot in the arm it needed to continue with better sales.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

Since November, GM has cut 4,400 jobs at mostly car plants - 3,300 of them permanent positions and shifts.

Most of those are only recent and not representative of the change in relation to current inventory levels.

GM is still left with a lot of '17 cars to move so it will probably continue those strong incentives well into summer

and the lower build rates of '18 models take over.

Now contrast that with Ford's decision to idle a few plants for a week in the past six months, it's clear that Ford

is doing a much better job of managing production and with lower inventory levels, there's less need to defend

with higher incentives - apart for the usual model year run out programs.

It's funny to see Cruze still more popular than Malibu and then see Fusion still strongly outsell Focus

and while it's sad to see Focus stuter and putter along, that is preferable to Fusion taking a huge dive.

GM's pickups are down in a truck crazy market. Why??

Pickup truck market in U.S. is getting saturated. All full size pickup truck models except Ram and Titan were down in sales last month. Titan was up nearly 300% in April 2017, but that still only amounted to 1/10th of Silverado sales.

It will be interesting to see if GM's truck sales continue to soften or whether ths was a slight bump in the road.

I have a feeling that the summer selling months are going to be strong again this year.

Edited by jpd80