April Sales down 7.2% - Cars down 21%

ATP's up $1900, F-series over 70,000.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2017/05/sales/april17-sales.pdf

 Ford Motor Company’s overall U.S. April 2017 sales declined 7.2 percent compared to a year ago, with 214,695 vehicles sold

 Retail sales totaled 140,762 vehicles, a 10.5 percent decline

 Fleet sales flat, with 73,933 vehicles sold

 Ford Motor Company average transaction pricing remains strong, increasing $1,900 last month, outperforming the industry increase of $210*

 Ford F-Series surpassed the 70,000 vehicle mark, with 70,657 pickups sold. This is a 0.2 percent decline versus a year ago, with an overall increase of $3,700 in average transaction pricing*

 Ford Escape sales totaled 25,637 vehicles last month, up 7 percent

 Ford Expedition sales totaled 5,116 SUVs, a 13 percent gain; Ford Edge up 6 percent, with 12,147 vehicles sold

New Expedition should be great, issue is going to be how many trucks/SUV can KTP actually make? The ATP increase makes alot of sense if you're not selling 18,000 Focus and 23,000 Fusions and selling 40K F-150's instead. Wonder if Ford had to do it over if they would have put the Escape overflow in FRAP vs Fusion. (Speaking why does FRAP still have a huge Fusion banner on it?)

Cars are taking a beating at all brands. So no need for panic button {Ford needs all new cars now!!} like someone used to post. If all makers can get more room inside of cars, maybe they can get more sales? The low, swoopy look suddenly is out of style, but at same time, cheap gas.

Heard at dealers nowadays

"Honey, we can afford an SUV now!"

"For a little bit more we can put you in a bigger Utility"

But, at least Continental and MKZ are bucking the trend.

Edited by 630land

Ford Cars taking a beating, trucks and utilities soaring.

Lincoln is cruising right along... I'm expecting a nice boost from the new Navigator, both in terms of sales of that model as well as a halo effect for others.

Interesting that all of Lincoln's utilities were down for the month.

Traditionally, this is the time in the model cycle that Ford will increase rental sales for Focus and Fusion but they seem to be holding the rental volume fairly steady so Ford is cutting back on production instead (as evident in day's supply in inventory - cars sales down 24% vs. 2016 but days supply stay basically the same).

The sales trend does suggest that Ford should seriously consider have more CUV models and production capability.

Edited by bzcat

Truck prices are asnine..my 01 ram will soldier on..id like a new power wagon but ouch...will wait till they start showing up on the used lot...we are waiting on new foci and fiesta before we trade off the 12 fiesta grocery getter...only competion for us to the foci is the mazda 3....while the econo box market is being layed to waste by low gas prices..ford is sittin pretty good with 2 new grocery getters coming on line here shortly..i have no cares for any suv..none...dont need a modern take on a vista cruiser...

Edited by snooter

Traditionally, this is the time in the model cycle that Ford will increase rental sales for Focus and Fusion but they seem to be holding the rental volume fairly steady so Ford is cutting back on production instead (as evident in day's supply in inventory - cars sales down 24% vs. 2016 but days supply stay basically the same).

The sales trend does suggest that Ford should seriously consider have more CUV models and production capability.

With cars YTD sales down -24%, and SUV flat at 2.5% and trucks flat at 1.6%, does not look like Ford car customers are moving to Fords SUV or Trucks. Is Ford losing this consumer to the competition, or are they just not buying?

There's serious talks at 2 plants right now on cutting a shift of production.

and that worries me more than the drop in sales numbers, Ford has obviously predicted this for a few months

but what steps are they actually putting in place... I feel for you guys and the obvious lack of communication.

Anyone know why F Series is +81K in March then 70K last Month, is that all to do with fleet delivery timing

or just when buyers decide to show up?

Edited by jpd80

and that worries me more than the drop in sales numbers, Ford has obviously predicted this for a few months

but what steps are they actually putting in place... I feel for you guys and the obvious lack of communication.

Some plants are better at it than others. MAP slides into the atrocious category.
  • Like 1

Some plants are better at it than others. MAP slides into the atrocious category.

and it's a time when Ford should be talking with staff and the unions to reassure what it plans are

I feel your frustration with them not elaborating on the plan between now and start of Ranger..

Edited by jpd80

and it's a time when Ford should be talking with staff and the unions to reassure what it plans are

I feel your frustration with them not elaborating on the plan between now and start of Ranger..

I got a text from a friend of mine earlier that was a picture of a bulletin their UAW plant chairman posted today that explains exactly what's been happening, and what the plan is for the next several months. . In all my time at MAP, the only time our chairman did anything close to that that was when third shift was eliminated, 2 days after it was publicly announced, and it really said nothing. I still have the letter posted above my desk because it makes me laugh. I cannot wait until our new chairman takes over. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

With cars YTD sales down -24%, and SUV flat at 2.5% and trucks flat at 1.6%, does not look like Ford car customers are moving to Fords SUV or Trucks. Is Ford losing this consumer to the competition, or are they just not buying?

Good question..the market is supposed to contract this year, but other manufactures have been losing sedan sales also.

A proper Fusion and Focus refresh along with dumping the Focus DCT would have greatly improved car sales. They'd still be down but not by nearly as much.

I think a new Expy/Navi would add at least 3K units per month - maybe more.

• Like 2

Personally I think Ford is doing the wrong thing in massively discounting sedans. They need to add more content and keep prices higher. Every Focus / Fusion should have sync 3 standard. The fact a car that that is aimed first time buyers that are tech savvy is a major omission, on the Safety front equipment that is std/available on base and middle versions of the corolla, civic isn't even offered on the Focus along with merely acceptable crash tests hampers parents that might be co-signing or assisting with research and payments cause it to get cut from the list. Ford has moved the position of the Focus and Fusion from Civic/Corolla and Accord/Camry competition back down to where the Koreans occupy in the market.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

A strong high-series mix of Super
Duty models – Lariat, King Ranch
and Platinum, along with strong
demand for our new diesel
powertrain – increased average
transaction pricing by $8,400 per
truck. Super Duty transaction pricing
for April reached a record $58,200
per truck.

Personally I think Ford is doing the wrong thing in massively discounting sedans. They need to add more content and keep prices higher. Every Focus / Fusion should have sync 3 standard. The fact a car that that is aimed first time buyers that are tech savvy is a major omission, on the Safety front equipment that is std/available on base and middle versions of the corolla, civic isn't even offered on the Focus along with nearly acceptable crash tests hampers parents that might be co-signing or assisting with research and payments cause it to get cut from the list. Ford has moved the position of the Focus and Fusion from Civic/Corolla and Accord/Camry competition back down to where the Koreans occupy in the market.

Not sure if you haven't noticed, but the Escape can be had with $2500 off and 6 year 0% financing.

I haven't looked at the Edge or Explorer lately.

Not sure if you haven't noticed, but the Escape can be had with $2500 off and 6 year 0% financing.

I haven't looked at the Edge or Explorer lately.

I would toss the Escape in there too, advantage the Escape has is that it is capacity limited so Ford loyalists will buy it because it is a Ford. When people ask me what they should go look at in that market though I tell them the ’17 CX-5, ’17 CR-V or Forester, cheaper, more equipment, will get better mileage and will have better resale. The 2017 refresh didn't do nearly enough to keep it on top; it is also sticker wise very expensive vs those.

Edited by jasonj80

Escape is not capacity limited, they build around 35K a month plus about 4K or 5K MKC

There is no way they can make 450,000+ units out of that plant. I think it tops out at ~330,000 units. which would be about 28K a month of the Escape and MKC.