Ford Q1 sales up 4%

FY profit expected to be $9B. 1Q North American operating margin 8.3%.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2017/04/1q/1q2017.pdf

I think they're investing heavily in electrification, Expy/Navi, Ranger/Bronco, Focus/Fusion and CD6 stuff. Doing that much investment while increasing ATPs and maintaining a healthy market share and profit margin as sales overall are declining is nothing to dismiss.

Ranger listed as 2019, Bronco 2020.

• Like 1

FWIW I've been told Ranger SOP is November 2018

IF SOP is November 2018 it won't go on sale until early 2019 at which point it would be a 2020 model, not a 2019 model.

I think 2019 and 2020 are the publicly available dates, not model years.

IF SOP is November 2018 it won't go on sale until early 2019 at which point it would be a 2020 model, not a 2019 model.

I think 2019 and 2020 are the publicly available dates, not model years.

false. Production begins in 2018, so legally it can't be a 2020 model. Richard Jenson explained how that works once but I don't remember all the specifics. I do remember I has to do with the beginning of production, not the beginning of sales and preproduction trials count. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I thought they might try to push the Ranger up to first quarter of 2018.

They can't - they have to build Focii up until April or May.

There was a weird rumor floating around about 2 months ago saying that we wouldn't be building Focuses last December, which as far as I can tell wasn't ever really much more than wishful thinking. A lot of that I think had to do with that now cancelled C-Max order for China.

false. Production begins in 2018, so legally it can't be a 2020 model. Richard Jenson explained how that works once but I don't remember all the specifics. I do remember I has to do with the beginning of production, not the beginning of sales and preproduction trials count.

The rule is that a vehicle cannot be for sale on more than one January 1st. It can be produced in 2018 and sold as a 2020 model assuming it is not on sale before 1/2/2019.

The 2008 Super Duty is an example. It started production in December 2016. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Super_Duty#Second_generation_.282008.E2.80.932010.29)

1997 F150 is another example. It started production November 1995. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series_(tenth_generation))

Edited by fordmantpw

Model Years '19 and '20, which often get confused with Calendar years.

I predict new Ranger unveiled at 2018 Detroit Show and Bronco a year later.

Ranger at 2018 Detroit is likely with production and sales starting in Q4 2018 (MY2019).

But I'm guessing Bronco will be revealed in 2018 LA with production and sales starting in first half of 2019 (MY2020).

Edited by bzcat

FY profit expected to be $9B. 1Q North American operating margin 8.3%.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2017/04/1q/1q2017.pdf

I think they're investing heavily in electrification, Expy/Navi, Ranger/Bronco, Focus/Fusion and CD6 stuff.

The only people talking about CD6 anymore are you and the goofy emoticon lover from Ford Inside News.

The rule is that a vehicle cannot be for sale on more than one January 1st. It can be produced in 2018 and sold as a 2020 model assuming it is not on sale before 1/2/2019.

The 2008 Super Duty is an example. It started production in December 2016. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Super_Duty#Second_generation_.282008.E2.80.932010.29)

1997 F150 is another example. It started production November 1995. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series_(tenth_generation))

Exactly. It doesn't matter when it's produced, what matters is when it goes on sale to the public.

They could make it a 2019 vehicle then bring out the 2020 model in the fall but since it's not going to start shipping until December anyway it makes sense that they would just go ahead and make it a 2020 model on sale Jan 1st.

If they were able to bring it out a month earlier then I would say it definitely would be a 2019.

Exactly. It doesn't matter when it's produced, what matters is when it goes on sale to the public.

They could make it a 2019 vehicle then bring out the 2020 model in the fall but since it's not going to start shipping until December anyway it makes sense that they would just go ahead and make it a 2020 model on sale Jan 1st.

If they were able to bring it out a month earlier then I would say it definitely would be a 2019.

I would like to point out that Job 1 for the 2015 Edge was late January of 2015.

I would like to point out that Job 1 for the 2015 Edge was late January of 2015.

That was a special case (it was much later than originally scheduled), but I acknowledged it was possible. I just don't think it's likely they'll call it a 2019 if it doesn't show up until January 2019. But possible.

I haven't read acknowledgement from Ford that it even exists. I believe jpd80 said in the last week it was indefinitely postponed.

I have personal confirmation that it existed, and we have other insider confirmation on a new platform for Explorer and Aviator that fits the timing.

What I remember from what jpd80 posted was there was some talk that lots of things were put on hold but nothing specific, and I find it hard to believe Ford would cancel a new Explorer and Aviator and try to continue on with D4.