Unicorn 1986 Taurus

http://autoweek.com/article/junkyard-treasures/junkyard-treasure-1986-ford-taurus-mt-5?utm_source=DailyDrive20170418&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

IIRC, I think this was the last time a manual transmission was ever offered in an American Mid/large sedan, outside of a sporty model or the SHO. Though for some reason I think you might have been able to get one in an Accord up till the early 1990s?

http://autoweek.com/article/junkyard-treasures/junkyard-treasure-1986-ford-taurus-mt-5?utm_source=DailyDrive20170418&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

IIRC, I think this was the last time a manual transmission was ever offered in an American Mid/large sedan, outside of a sporty model or the SHO. Though for some reason I think you might have been able to get one in an Accord up till the early 1990s?

Thanks for sharing this AutoWeek article sir. Manual transmission was also available on GM W-Body sedans during that era. Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 1990-1992, Pontiac Grand Prix 1990-1993.

Motorweek tested a 1990 Cutlass Supreme with 2.3L Quad 4 and 5-speed manual.

Honda Accord has offered manual transmission every year it's been available in the U.S.

Saw the title of this thread and immediately knew it was the MT-5. For some odd reason, I thought that would be a cool car to own, in spite of the anemic 4 cylinder engine. Never ended up buying one of those models though. I remember the Taurus being so much different than everything else at the time and did end up over the years with 3 of them...a 93 SHO, a 2000 SEL, and a 2008 SEL. Still have the 2008 (just a touch over 200k totally trouble-free miles on it) model that our soon to be 16 year old will have as a first car.

I remember that car as a kid, when the car was in Robocop and I would point to it and tell my parents how cool it was. They told me we couldn't afford it because we were poor and that had 4 doors, and only families that could afford kids, could afford 4 door cars. Forget the fact they had 2 new Benz coupe (hard top and convertible), and an F250. Obviously that traumatized me... Another reason I'm sticking her in Shady Pines....

Kind of off topic but I recently saw my own unicorn: an early 2000s focus station wagon up here in Alaska... I thought those were only made in the EU

I still see the odd one on the road. And a few with manual trannies! The owners refuse to trade them in.

This would be a fun car to stick the 2.3L Ecoboost into ;)

If Ford had an ecoboost V6 available in 2003 that might have helped the Lincoln LS. The 3.9L Jag AJV8 cousin was a sweet engine but maxed out at 275 hp. The 4.6L Mod wouldn't fit past the suspension coming in from the bottom so no go for production. A 2.7L or 3.5L EB would have been a beast, albeit a beast with a cheap interior. :)