2018 Explorer shown

I had a BMW rental this weekend (4 Series Convertible - put over 2,000 miles on it). I forgot how much I hate pumping gas without the capless filler. The capless filler and keypad are not enough to keep me in a Ford, but lack of them is a knock on any other vehicle I would consider.

You can lock the fob in the vehicle with the keypad and it disables the fob until you unlock the vehicle with the keypad or another fob. That way even if a thief breaks the window to get in they can't use it to start the vehicle.

It was a rhetorical question directed at the comment about the keypad being obsolete.

I have always locked my fobs in our vehicles so I don't have to carry them around. I love this feature.

I had a BMW rental this weekend (4 Series Convertible - put over 2,000 miles on it). I forgot how much I hate pumping gas without the capless filler. The capless filler and keypad are not enough to keep me in a Ford, but lack of them is a knock on any other vehicle I would consider.

Yes, for sure. You don't realize how nice those features are until you don't have them anymore. We learned that with our new Infiniti.

This system?

es7z-14a626-a-20130723184207.jpg

Doesn't keyless access (keep the fob in your pocket and touch a door handle to open a door) make this obsolete?

Not always. I am a runner and running shorts and shirts don't have pockets that can carry a car key. You can get an I.D. in the pocket at best. I lock the key in the car and use the keypad to get back in, when I go to a race or to a park to run. I always call that keypad a runner's keypad.

Thank you everyone for your explanations regarding the keypad. Also I didn't know that locking keyless access fobs inside the car using the keypad disables the fobs. Now I understand its value.

The used '84 Lincoln Continental turbodiesel I owned many years ago had a keypad, but the keypad didn't work.

Edited by rperez817

Yes, for sure. You don't realize how nice those features are until you don't have them anymore. We learned that with our new Infiniti.

Yup. I have as my daily driver a 2011 Lincoln MKX Elite package and when I take the 1983 Mustang GLX convertible out for a spin and have to reach over to the console to turn up the radio or worse yet, have to manually crank down the windows makes me appreciate my Lincoln all the more...lol

Edited by twintornados

Yup. I have as my daily driver a 2011 Lincoln MKX Elite package and when I take the 1983 Mustang GLX convertible out for a spin and have to reach over to the console to turn up the radio or worse yet, have to manually crank down the windows makes me appreciate my Lincoln all the more...lol

I call my Mustang the dinosaur car because it only has a CD/Radio in it with no way to talk hands free...

With Firestone's history, it would be a mistake to shoe any Ford with a Firestone product IMHO. Consumers have a long memory when it comes to perceived life endangerment, regardless of how a company has addressed the issues causing said endangerment. The "Ford and Firestone" combination left a lingering bitter taste in the public's mouth, and not one that either company would like to revisit methinks.