2018 Explorer shown

I miss the roll down back window from my first car (Caprice Wagon). I think the 4Runner still has one (Maybe Seqouia too?).

Toyota 4Runner has power retracting rear window and they tout is as a feature to their active outdoorsey customers. I think it is one of those things the people don't think they need until they have it -then can't imagine life without it. Same way I love the Ford Keypad entry - can't imagine ever owning a vehicle without that feature - but the Subaru owners I meet on the trials carrying their keys don't get it.

Same way I love the Ford Keypad entry - can't imagine ever owning a vehicle without that feature - but the Subaru owners I meet on the trials carrying their keys don't get it.

Ford has had that for something like 30 years and no one else has copied it...

Toyota 4Runner has power retracting rear window and they tout is as a feature to their active outdoorsey customers. I think it is one of those things the people don't think they need until they have it -then can't imagine life without it. Same way I love the Ford Keypad entry - can't imagine ever owning a vehicle without that feature - but the Subaru owners I meet on the trials carrying their keys don't get it.

New Subarus offer a similar feature now. You do it by using the button on the back hatch. -- it is not nearly as easy but works. https://youtu.be/rb1uFPbi0vU

I had it on 2 explorers, an aviator and an expedition before switching to the lift gate on the Edge, Escape and MKX. I prefer the lift gate.

Wow, that seems, um, cumbersome.

Dang! That is the best they can do after seeing Ford do it right for 40 years? That system is cumbersome - understatement!

What drives me nuts is the Subaru loyalists will somehow rationalize this as the greatest thing ever! I just don't get that love affair.

I had it on 2 explorers, an aviator and an expedition before switching to the lift gate on the Edge, Escape and MKX. I prefer the lift gate.

I don't ever recall the Explorer having a power retractable rear window....I have owned two Explorers - ???

The advantage for the outdoorsey folks is touted as being able to throw; wetsuits, damp river and camping gear, snow gear, muddy, stinky stuff...etc back there and then drive off with the window down or partially down to get some ventilation in the cargo area. I would think it would be handy when buying 2X10's at Home Depot as well that will need to hang out the back. All things considered, as a Coloradan who does all the outdoor stuff and goes to Home Depot - the power retractable window of the 4Runner is definitely a functional advantage - but the style and appearance constraints that is causes to fit in there are a minus. The 4Runner is hands down one the ugliest vehicles on the road today.

Edited by Kev-Mo

I don't ever recall the Explorer having a power retractable rear window....I have owned two Explorers - ???

The advantage for the outdoorsey folks is touted as being able to throw; wetsuits, damp river and camping gear, snow gear, muddy, stinky stuff...etc back there and then drive off with the window down or partially down to get some ventilation in the cargo area. I would think it would be handy when buying 2X10's at Home Depot as well that will need to hang out the back. All things considered, as a Coloradan who does all the outdoor stuff and goes to Home Depot - the power retractable window of the 4Runner is definitely a functional advantage - but the style and appearance constraints that is causes to fit in there are a minus. The 4Runner is hands down one the ugliest vehicles on the road today.

I think he was referring to the liftglass.

• Like 1

This system?

es7z-14a626-a-20130723184207.jpg

Doesn't keyless access (keep the fob in your pocket and touch a door handle to open a door) make this obsolete?

No. Because you can't lock the keys in the car (purposely) or access the car without the key with those systems like the keypad allows you to.

And let's post the modern version, not the 80s one lol...

13147e680bbb52b09a175d8070ae2a8c.jpg

• Like 1

No. Because you can't lock the keys in the car (purposely) or access the car without the key with those systems like the keypad allows you to.

And let's post the modern version, not the 80s one lol...

13147e680bbb52b09a175d8070ae2a8c.jpg

My 2014 Focus has the 80's one. :(

as does my 2015.

Focus didn't get the fancy B-pillar one until 2015 and even then only on the TI and ST models.

Really? I didn't realize that.

---

The trucks retained the push button version.....but that makes more sense with the buyer (worker gloves, etc).

Doesn't keyless access (keep the fob in your pocket and touch a door handle to open a door) make this obsolete?

No.

Both my Edge and Flex have the modern (somewhat concealed) keypad. I use them a lot. For example if I'm taking the Flex (primarily driven by wife) and want to get my sunglasses from the Edge.

Really? I didn't realize that.

---

The trucks retained the push button version.....but that makes more sense with the buyer (worker gloves, etc).

Yes, and I'm glad they did! I like the button version much better functionally, though the looks of the sleek version are better. The trucks look better now that they are more integrated and not just tacked on.

What if you like to lock the keys in the car so you don't have to carry them around at all?

You can lock the fob in the vehicle with the keypad and it disables the fob until you unlock the vehicle with the keypad or another fob. That way even if a thief breaks the window to get in they can't use it to start the vehicle.

Dang! That is the best they can do after seeing Ford do it right for 40 years? That system is cumbersome - understatement!

What drives me nuts is the Subaru loyalists will somehow rationalize this as the greatest thing ever! I just don't get that love affair.

It could do with a patent that Ford has for the keypad system. Nissan did have it back on the maxima in the 90's but it disappeared.

This system?

es7z-14a626-a-20130723184207.jpg

It's all about not having to carry anything where it can be lost, damaged, or rattling around in your pocket. For example, when you go; biking, hiking, skiing, swimming, boating, or out in a finely tailored suit for that matter - anywhere you don't want to carry your keys. When I meet my buddies at the trail head for a mountain bike ride, they are all clamoring to leave their keys/fobs in my Explorer.

Like I said, it is one of those things that you don't think you need, until you use it - then you wonder how you could ever live without it!

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

I'll never buy another brand for the keypad alone! Glad they didn't dis-continue it when they went to fobs - I like the idea of locking with the pad to dis-able to fob. Ford made a great thing even better.

Edited by Kev-Mo