2018 Explorer shown

But if you want maximum sales you need enough difference to get repeat buyers.

I feel this is the most important factor. I like to buy a new F-Series every 3-4 years and Ford obviously changes them up enough to assure those trades happen. If they didn't, my incentive to buy a new one would surely be reduced.

• Like 1

We were informed about nine months ago by an insider that full financial review was being carried out on all product cycles going

forward and that projects like CD6 (NG Explorer) had been delayed indefinitely and that most platforms would continue with evolution

or variations on existing platforms...

Jpd, do you have a Link handy?

some of that I can remember :idea:& some I can't

Edited by 2b2

I'm hearing April. Either way, Ranger can't get here fast enough.

I'm in the market for a pickup in the next couple of years. Ranger might fit the bill nicely. Will be a bit different from my 90 and 95 though.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 2

I'm in the market for a pickup in the next couple of years. Ranger might fit the bill nicely. Will be a bit different from my 90 and 95 though.

I'm hoping that the better Nth American trim levels filter through to the ROW trucks

and that Ford does something unexpected with gasoline Ecoboost engines

the 2.7 EB 10AT would make Ranger a level above Tacoma and Colorado

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

it was a big order going to China. I've heard everything from 5k to 20k units ordered.

Ok that makes sense. Ford did introduced the C-Max Energi at the auto show last year in China but I don't think sales ever began.

The latest news release from this year's Shanghai Auto Show says C-Max Energi is already in fleet service in China: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/04/06/ford-announces-ambitious-china-electrification-strategy.html

The locally assembled Mondeo hybrid just went on sale.

• 4 weeks later...

I will probably be in the market soon as my '06 creeps toward 150,000 with its attendant repair needs. I don't really see anything here worth waiting just for the '18. I will still miss the opening rear glass which I use all the time in my current Explorer.

I don't understand why that isn't a thing anymore. It's super useful.
  • Like 1

I don't understand why that isn't a thing anymore. It's super useful.

It's easier to engineer a fixed panel. Fewer parts, which means cheaper to make. That's my guess. The new Expedition and Navigator did retain them, though everything else dropped it. I agree, I liked it too. Though power liftgates negate some of the usefulness, but there are still times where just quickly popping the liftglass would do.

Ok so then what would be the issue with having to forgo the power liftgate in favor of the traditional liftgate and opening glass? I just can't see it being that much cheaper for one or the other, maybe they can both have the same upcharge?

You'd rather have a manual liftgate + liftglass than a power liftgate?

Or you're saying to offer both?

I like the idea of both (power liftgate and liftglass, like the Expy and Navi have), but these days if you don't have a power liftgate available, it's looked upon badly.

• Like 1

You'd rather have a manual liftgate + liftglass than a power liftgate?

Or you're saying to offer both?

I like the idea of both (power liftgate and liftglass, like the Expy and Navi have), but these days if you don't have a power liftgate available, it's looked upon badly.

I'm saying offer both.

Personally, I can do without the power liftgate. I would rather have the glass opening/manual liftgate option.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1