2018 Explorer shown

I do think the grill looks a little better, but what was the point of this MCE? It is so underwhelming. To those not interested in the auto industry, they will hardly notice the difference. I found this to be a little irritating.

Edited by tbone

I do think the grill looks a little better, but what was the point of this MCE? It is so underwhelming. To those not interested in the auto industry, they will hardly notice the difference. I found this to be a little irritating.

Just to keep it fresh till the replacement explorer comes out in another 3-4 years.

its a very popular and competitive market...its going to be competing with new/heavily refreshed utilities from GM later this year.

Which is also a problem. You MIGHT ( extra emphasis on might) be able to get away with that for the F-150, but to go this long without a total redesign is a problem IMO.

I'm not saying it shouldn't have been redesigned by now, just saying it is it's second refresh. It'll be 7 years old going into the 2018 model year......and seemingly 9 or 10 by the time it's replaced.

Which is also a problem. You MIGHT ( extra emphasis on might) be able to get away with that for the F-150, but to go this long without a total redesign is a problem IMO.

The Explorer came out in December 2010 as a '11 MY. The MCE came out in 2015. This slight MCE came out 3 years later or so.

The platform might date back to the 2000s' but its been significantly massaged in the meantime.

I'm wondering if these "underwhelming" MCE's we've been seeing recently from Ford is from the effects of the auto market back in 2008-2010. Ford decided to spend money up front unifying the lineup as much as it could, which cost $$ and decided to play it safe with MCEs til it recovered. Guess we'll find out when the next gen of Products-Focus, Ranger, Bronco etc are due updates about 5 years from now.

I'm not saying it shouldn't have been redesigned by now, just saying it is it's second refresh. It'll be 7 years old going into the 2018 model year......and seemingly 9 or 10 by the time it's replaced.

Platforms last about 10 years, if not longer...like the Camry or Fox/SN95 ;)

The Explorer came out in December 2010 as a '11 MY. The MCE came out in 2015. This slight MCE came out 3 years later or so.

The platform might date back to the 2000s' but its been significantly massaged in the meantime.

I'm wondering if these "underwhelming" MCE's we've been seeing recently from Ford is from the effects of the auto market back in 2008-2010. Ford decided to spend money up front unifying the lineup as much as it could, which cost $$ and decided to play it safe with MCEs til it recovered. Guess we'll find out when the next gen of Products-Focus, Ranger, Bronco etc are due updates about 5 years from now.

Also, the alternative would be letting the current model sit there without any upgrades from 2015 until 2020. Granted, this is a minor update, but it's still an update.

Yeah, many of Ford's MCEs have been disappointing lately.

Platforms last about 10 years, if not longer...like the Camry or Fox/SN95 ;)

Haha, except D3/4 dates back to what? 2000? 2005 in Ford use, but Volvo used it before that, no?

That's a hell of a theory. Perhaps Ford has perfectly timed the natural cycle of the industry so all new models are introduced at the beginning of an upswing with refreshes to ride the wave when people will pretty much buy cars anyway. Now that the wave is starting to go down it's the perfect time with the Ranger, Bronco and all of these new Hybrids and Electrics in the pipeline to start the cycle over now that Ford has all that extra cash in hand from the last few very profitable years to fund it.

If Ford has timed it perfectly for 2 cycles now good lord there's some genius in there. Has that ever been done in this industry?