Toyota March 2017 sales - down 2%

jpvbs

http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/tms+march+2017+sales+chart.download

(it is a .PDF file. )

PLANO, Texas (April 3, 2017) Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) Inc., today reported its U.S. March 2017 sales of 215,224 units, a decrease of 2.1 percent from March 2016 on a volume basis. With the same number of selling days in March 2017 compared to March 2016, sales were down 2.1 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis.

Toyota division posted March 2017 sales of 187,289 units, down 1.2 percent on a volume and DSR basis.

The industry might see its first dip below a 17 million SAAR since June 2016, although it will likely be nearly flat to last March, said Jack Hollis, group vice president and general manager, Toyota division. The Toyota division set a new light truck record for the month and quarter as we saw SUV sales sizzle with a best-ever March for RAV4, Highlander, and 4Runner, all up double digits.

Lexus posted sales of 27,935 units, down 7.5 percent on a volume and DSR basis.

In March, luxury utility vehicles continued to move off dealer lots, said Jeff Bracken, Lexus group vice president and general manager. NX posted sales up 24 percent, and GX rose by 31 percent as our dealers met customers needs with better inventory during our Command Performance Sales Event.

March 2017 Highlights:

Camry posts sales of 35,648 units

Corolla records sales of over 30,000 units

TMNA, Toyota, and Lexus divisions all post new March record for light truck sales

RAV4 sales rise 10.3 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter

Highlander up 20.8 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter

4Runner up 25.5 percent; posts best-ever March and first quarter

Tacoma sales of 16,728

Lexus luxury utility vehicles up 9.5 percent for the month

NX up 24 percent for the month, sets new best ever March

RX posts sales of 9,445 units

GX gains 31 percent in March, up 5.7 percent in first quarter

LX up almost 21 percent for the month

Like other manufactures, car sales are down. Camry, Avalon, Corolla, Prius down. Every Lexus car is down. SUVs up 15% Tacoma and Tundra both down.

4Runner is up 25% to 12k units which I found interesting. Is there still any talk of Ford building a 4Runner type vehicle as an add-on to the Ranger/Bronco?

4Runner is up 25% to 12k units which I found interesting. Is there still any talk of Ford building a 4Runner type vehicle as an add-on to the Ranger/Bronco?

IMO the Bronco is close enough to the 4Runner without warranting a separate model. If they wanted, the Everest would line up better against it.

There has been rumors of a third vehicle being built at MAP.

Maybe Toyota should redesign it to look like the F Series , which Nissan did with the Titan. Titan sales doubled in March to 2400 compared to previous year.

Yes sir! While Nissan Titan is all new this year, Toyota is being lazy with updates to Tundra. They showed the refreshed 2018 Tundra at the Chicago Auto Show this February. It's the same truck underneath and the powertrains are also unchanged. Toyota did make safety features like forward collision alert with auto brake & pedestrian detection, automatic high beams, and lane departure alert standard on all 2018 Tundra models.

Toyota-Tundra-pickup-truuck-chicago-auto

• Like 1

Toyota did make safety features like forward collision alert with auto brake & pedestrian detection, automatic high beams, and lane departure alert standard on all 2018 Tundra models.

Toyota-Tundra-pickup-truuck-chicago-auto

Are these standard on all 2018 F150 models? I don't recall. The foundation of some of these safety features seem to be on the 2017 model, so it would be really nice if they could add this safety tech through an update on the 2017.

Toyota Tundra sales at 9358 for March! Maybe Toyota should redesign it to look like the F Series , which Nissan did with the Titan. Titan sales doubled in March to 2400 compared to previous year.

Well, it was the first redesign for Titan in what, 15 years or something crazy? Sales were bound to increase regardless of what it looked like.

Edited by rmc523

IMO the Bronco is close enough to the 4Runner without warranting a separate model. If they wanted, the Everest would line up better against it.

There has been rumors of a third vehicle being built at MAP.

I think there is room for Ford to compete with the Wrangler and the 4Runner - with a separate Bronco and Everest-like vehicles. Lots of moms in the car pool line around here in brand spanking new 4Runners. The trend is clearly toward SUV's and trucks - at least until the Wall St. bozos decide to screw up oil prices again.

I can't live by the 'golden rule' because if I was driving a vehicle as hideous as that Tundra I would want someone to tell me. Same goes for the 4Runner that is insanely popular in Colorado.

I agree! Both Tundra and 4Runner are insanely popular in Texas too. In the past 20 years, they seemed to get uglier with every redesign.

My favorite Toyota truck is the fourth generation pickup (1984-1988). This is the model shown in the first Back to the Future movie.

Marty-McFly-Toyota-SR5-pickup-back-to-th