GM March 2017 Sales - Up 1.6%

Anthony

GM actually phased out the fleet only "classic" models like Cruze Limited, Malibu Limited, and Impala Limited last year. This was part of GM's strategy to reduce fleet sales and focus on real retail customers.

For 2017, there is a GMC Acadia Limited model available to retail customers. That should be it for "classic" models currently sold by GM in the U.S. When the new generation 2017 Acadia came out, it was a class smaller than the original Acadia. For 2017 GM offers both the new, smaller Acadia, as well as Acadia Limited (same as the original Acadia) for customers who want something bigger.

So in other words, their strategy was to stop following a strategy that was stupid and caused artificially high fleet (and overall) sales in the first place?

---

Honestly I think the decision to keep the Acadia "Limited" relates to the fact that they dropped the Saturn Outlook so early and had parts left over.....that's why you saw the Acadia's refresh at the rear use a lot of parts from the Outlook.

So in other words, their strategy was to stop following a strategy that was stupid and caused artificially high fleet (and overall) sales in the first place?

---

Honestly I think the decision to keep the Acadia "Limited" relates to the fact that they dropped the Saturn Outlook so early and had parts left over.....that's why you saw the Acadia's refresh at the rear use a lot of parts from the Outlook.

I think it was more along the lines of the next-gen Acadia coming out a year before the replacement of the other Lambdas and they could keep building the old one along with the others (Traverse and Enclave) with no extra effort.

So, GM no longer doing something they shouldn't have been doing in the first place constitutes progress in your mind?

Yes sir. There are lots of things they did in the past that were not favorable for their customers, employees, and investors. That's mostly gone. GM is a completely different company now.

GM is a completely different company now.

No. They aren't. Not in a good way:

GM pre-bankruptcy: Made bad loans on home mortgages

GM post-bankruptcy: Making bad loans on cars

GM pre-bankruptcy: Spent a fortune on Cadillac sedans that did not significantly expand market share--most profitable product is a Yukon with Cadillac badges

GM post-bankruptcy: Is spending even more on Cadillac, and giving them even more autonomy--most profitable product is a Yukon with Cadillac badges

GM pre-bankruptcy: Build 'em, then sell 'em

GM post-bankruptcy: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2016/12/18/gm-production/95601094/

GM pre-bankruptcy: who cares about our pension obligations?

GM post-bankruptcy: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-opel-m-a-peugeot-pensions-idUSKBN15Z128(net sale price of Opel: ~$1B, after accounting for pension obligations retained)

GM pre-bankruptcy: We'll fix Opel eventually

GM post-bankruptcy: Okay, I'll grant you this one.

• Like 2

I will agree with Perez on one thing: GM is making better cars and trucks, more frequently and consistently and with much better quality now. But I attribute that pretty much entirely to the $60B in government handouts and $70B in debt forgiveness they received and not to better management..... Otherwise, culturally and structurally, they are pretty much the same company. We'll find out what the real "new GM" is made of when gas climbs back to $4-5 a gallon and nobody wants their Suburbans, Tahoes and Escalades anymore.

F-Series outsold, not just Silverado and Sierra, but Silverado + Sierra + Colorado + Canyon COMBINED.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/04/best-selling-pickup-trucks-march-2017.html

Wooo!!!!!

:worship:

Actually a better analogy would be that,

Silverado + Sierra + Suburban + Tahoe + Yukon +Yukon L ++Escalade + Escalade ESV = 82,789

And that,

F Series + Expedition + Navigator = 86,802

Not to gloat too much because Ford has no answer to Mid Sized Trucks like Colorado & Canyon for the next two years....

• Like 1

We'll find out what the real "new GM" is made of when gas climbs back to $4-5 a gallon and nobody wants their Suburbans, Tahoes and Escalades anymore.

And everyone will still buy F-Series?.

Glad to see the Lacrosse increase along with old Regal. Impala actually is decent considering the Classic model is gone and Cruze cleans up, i don't get why Malibu is down but I think the Classic model is gone too, "No Cadillac buyer wants, expensive" CT6 matches "Howard Johnson value, fun-wheel- drive" Continental while XTS destroys it.

GM need to get their new big and mid-sized CUVs out sooner then later, trucks not great but not awful either.

Edited by Fgts

Glad to see the Lacrosse increase along with old Regal. Impala actually is decent considering the Classic model is gone and Cruze cleans up, i don't get why Malibu is down but I think the Classic model is gone too, "No Cadillac buyer wants, expensive" CT6 matches "Howard Johnson value, fun-wheel- drive" Continental while XTS destroys it.

GM need to get their new big and mid-sized CUVs out sooner then later, trucks not great but not awful either.

Most cars are down across the industry, so it really doesn't matter to dwell on reasons why,

the level of buyers is not there let alone the interest in non-utilities.

Just be grateful that GM and Ford are powering on in the segments that make the most money

and worry less about the nice to have but no longer essential car segments.

Edited by jpd80

Actually a better analogy would be that,

Silverado + Sierra + Suburban + Tahoe + Yukon +Yukon L ++Escalade + Escalade ESV = 82,789

And that,

F Series + Expedition + Navigator = 86,802

I know it is hard to remember sometimes since they aren't marketed much, but you included the extended length GM SUVs but not the Ford models.

"And everyone will still but F-Series?" ...... I think we've seen this movie before!

I know it is hard to remember sometimes since they aren't marketed much, but you included the extended length GM SUVs but not the Ford models.

Ford doesn't separate their extended wheelbase models in sales figures, they're included in Expedition or Navigator tallies. Whether they'll continue that when the new models debut, I'm not sure. And I think Yukon and Escalade are only separated because Tahoe and Suburban are separate names, so they continued that with the other two models.

Most cars are down across the industry, so it really doesn't matter to dwell on reasons why,

the level of buyers is not there let alone the interest in non-utilities.

Just be grateful that GM and Ford are powering on in the segments that make the most money

and worry less about the nice to have but no longer essential car segments.

Yea I know the domestics don't really make money on cars but having efficient utilities married to cars will still keep them afloat and in-the-black during high gas prices unlike 08'(except FCA imo).

And there's some good reasons why gas prices may never be as high as some people expect,

I'm betting that rising interest rates and fewer buyers will slow things up long before rising

gas prices take effect.

Edited by jpd80

Yes sir. There are lots of things they did in the past that were not favorable for their customers, employees, and investors. That's mostly gone. GM is a completely different company now.

Wrong. I work at a GM dealership. It is not completely different!

GM still managed to make too many cars last year before planning to trim production,

that ihas been the big driver behind aggressive incentives and its car sales staying higher.

Conversely, Ford has much lower inventory levels and was under less pressure to engage buyers with incentive,

The heart of Old GM beats on with excess production, the consequences both good and bad are:

full factory order books & bonuses, GM booking more revenue, advertising higher incentives to move those excesses.

Edited by jpd80

• 3 weeks later...