Here’s what to expect at the 2017 New York auto show

Rumored Ford stuff:

Refreshed Ford Explorer

Ford Fusion police responder HEV concept

Redesigned Lincoln Navigator

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/new-york-auto-show/heres-what-expect-2017-new-york-auto-show#ixzz4coyHtj27

Any idea what the heck that Fusion is supposed to be? Police Interceptor replacement?

It's obviously a Ford Fusion hybrid police service vehicle concept based on the name... ;)

Fusion hybrid police service package already exist... NYPD has hundreds of them.

9302638613_c762d23a88_z.jpg

The concept probably signals Ford's intend to end the production of Taurus based PIS.

Edited by bzcat

only problem with that is neither car is a hybrid, which the HEV designation would indicate.

You take the lengthened CD4 chassis and put in the Fusion Energi drivetrain. They're both CD4 so it should be a direct fit especially since it's FWD only so there is no rear driveshaft to worry about.

• Like 1

Could be using the Chinese Taurus/Continental longer wheelbase.

The only thing that buys them is engineering. They'd need a whole bunch of new stampings for a limited market. Only way Taurus makes sense is if they import them from China, but that is a big political issue for the PI market. How big of a difference are the dimensions? I thought the interior dimensions between Taurus and Fusion aren't too far off.

The only thing that buys them is engineering. They'd need a whole bunch of new stampings for a limited market. Only way Taurus makes sense is if they import them from China, but that is a big political issue for the PI market. How big of a difference are the dimensions? I thought the interior dimensions between Taurus and Fusion aren't too far off.

Interior dimensions between the current Taurus and current Fusion are pretty close but I thought the CD4 Taurus and Continental back seats were considerably larger which would work better for a PI. Using the Chinese Taurus would give them the extra room with an existing vehicle which would also keep it separate from the retail vehicles. I don't think importing it from China is realistic for government vehicles.

If the back seat room isn't a big issue then the current Fusion is probably fine.

I still wonder if we won't see some CD6 sedans for both retail and PI duty at some point.

Interior dimensions between the current Taurus and current Fusion are pretty close but I thought the CD4 Taurus and Continental back seats were considerably larger which would work better for a PI. Using the Chinese Taurus would give them the extra room with an existing vehicle which would also keep it separate from the retail vehicles. I don't think importing it from China is realistic for government vehicles.

If the back seat room isn't a big issue then the current Fusion is probably fine.

I still wonder if we won't see some CD6 sedans for both retail and PI duty at some point.

Here's a thought........do we know for sure that whatever they're showing off will be a Fusion hybrid police vehicle? I know the article said so, but doesn't mean it's right.

My reasoning behind this.....we know from that electrification announcement a few months ago that they're going to be building 2 police vehicles in Chicago, one of which we know is Explorer (well, PIU), but there was no information given on the other. Is it possible that this could be related to that? And maybe it's just a preview of what's coming when they retool Chicago for CD6 production (therefore meaning this vehicle would be on CD6)?

I'm just thinking out loud.

Here's a thought........do we know for sure that whatever they're showing off will be a Fusion hybrid police vehicle? I know the article said so, but doesn't mean it's right.

Obviously, we don't know for sure, but given that it's AutoEveryOtherWeek(tm akirby) reporting, rather than some random car blog, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not all police vehicles need big back seats. Supervisor cars, f'rinstance, don't normally tote arrestees. I'm not sure what a "police responder vehicle" is, but it doesn't sound like a normal patrol car.

There will be a 2018 Taurus, per "Ice Capades" post of production dates in Taurus forum here. But it's the same old one, not China's. They'd have to re-tool for any new design, the MY switch is only one day, and no way are they spending cash for shrinking segment.

There will be a 2018 Taurus, per "Ice Capades" post of production dates in Taurus forum here. But it's the same old one, not China's. They'd have to re-tool for any new design, the MY switch is only one day, and no way are they spending cash for shrinking segment.

Wasn't Taurus production extended out into something crazy like 2023 or something?

Wasn't Taurus production extended out into something crazy like 2023 or something?

If it was it would be only as fleet type vehicle. It wouldn't be competitive otherwise..much like the Crown Vic.

With that said, that would mean the Explorer isn't moving to a new platform either anytime soon, because it wouldn't really make sense to have two different platforms at the same plant that might require a separate line to build basically a dinosaur

If it was it would be only as fleet type vehicle. It wouldn't be competitive otherwise..much like the Crown Vic.

With that said, that would mean the Explorer isn't moving to a new platform either anytime soon, because it wouldn't really make sense to have two different platforms at the same plant that might require a separate line to build basically a dinosaur

This is what I'm thinking as well. De isn't going anywhere before a major change early next decade.

There's just no need to switch at the moment, a lot of upgrades will be power train based as well

as driver / HUD and what not. Taurus is now incremental product, selling both to police fleets and

to customers wanting V6 and TTV6 in SEL and SHO....

A hybrid Police support vehicle sounds like an extension of an already available police vehicle option,

I think places like California and the twelve ZEV state may go for that big time.

Edited by jpd80

My reasoning behind this.....we know from that electrification announcement a few months ago that they're going to be building 2 police vehicles in Chicago, one of which we know is Explorer (well, PIU), but there was no information given on the other. Is it possible that this could be related to that? And maybe it's just a preview of what's coming when they retool Chicago for CD6 production (therefore meaning this vehicle would be on CD6)?

I'm just thinking out loud.

remember the old pix of stretched Fusion testcars with enormous trunks?

not saying they're finally leading to anything But

now wondering if they were an attempt to turn the Fusion into an Interceptor that would have (near) as much cargo and rearseat capacity as the PIU?

remember the old pix of stretched Fusion testcars with enormous trunks?

not saying they're finally leading to anything But

now wondering if they were an attempt to turn the Fusion into an Interceptor that would have (near) as much cargo and rearseat capacity as the PIU?

Those where just mules for the Conti and Chinese Taurus

New Hybrid Explorer, with a PI version.

That would have to be a next-gen version then, as I don't know if D4 can accommodate a hybrid option (and if it can, they should've offered all the D4 products with a hybrid option. I just can't see them adding that for a limited production PI model this late in its lifecycle.