Ford to make large manufacturing investment announcement on 3/28

What else uses the 2.0 GDI today in NA? Transit Connect?

The non-turbo 2.0L Mazda engine? The current EcoSport in Mexico uses it. I think it's a port injected version though, not GDI.

Ford Ranger in Mexico offers the 2.5L Mazda gasoline engine as well as 2.2L and 3.2L diesels.

The non-turbo 2.0L Mazda engine? The current EcoSport in Mexico uses it. I think it's a port injected version though, not GDI.

Ford Ranger in Mexico offers the 2.5L Mazda gasoline engine as well as 2.2L and 3.2L diesels.

It's one ofthe few markets that still takes the 2.5petrol engine ,a coulpe of 2.0 Ecoboost Attribute prototype mules

were built years ago for the EB Falcon project. It's possible that Ford will revisit the 2.0 EB engine for Ranger

or the new 3.3 PFDI V6 might be it...

Interesting that Ford's expected budgeting on Ranger/Bronco blew out by so much,

that's not normally seen with a mild evolution on an existing product built

at three other locations...think about it......

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Interesting that Ford's expected budgeting on Ranger/Bronco blew out by so much,

that's not normally seen with a mild evolution on an existing product built

at three other locations...think about it......

Definitely agree....doesn't seem to make sense that it'd just be a refreshed existing product, IMO.

• Like 1

Got home from work and looked up some specs. If Wikipedia is correct on the Ranger curb weight, I don't see how Ford can build a steel bodied Ranger and not compete directly for sales with the aluminum F-150. I think Ford is almost forced to make it lighter.

Got home from work and looked up some specs. If Wikipedia is correct on the Ranger curb weight, I don't see how Ford can build a steel bodied Ranger and not compete directly for sales with the aluminum F-150. I think Ford is almost forced to make it lighter.

What does weight have to do with it ?

Steel is a lot cheaper than aluminum.

Over a year ago, a little birdie told me Ford was working on a whole new family of inline diesel engines. No I5 was planned at that time, but the current PowerStroke 3.2L would be discontinued.

A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then, so who knows it what I said is true.

Hmm,you've got me thinking that the Nth American Ranger may become more Tacoma like

while the Global Ranger stays a Hilux competitor......

To that end perhaps the new 2.0 I-4 Ecoblue Diesel also brings a larger I-5 so that all the Pumas are replaced.

while the American Trucks get the 3.0 V6 Powerstroke....

Edited by jpd80

Hmm,you've got me thinking that the Nth American Ranger may become more Tacoma like

while the Global Ranger stays a Hilux competitor......

To that end perhaps the new 2.0 I-4 Ecoblue Diesel also brings a larger I-5 so that all the Pumas are replaced.

while the American Trucks get the 3.0 V6 Powerstroke....

What's the difference between the Hilux and the Tacoma?

• Like 1

Well now hold on... The old ranger was steel.. And it had smaller engines and people still enjoyed them.

With today's engine technology I don't see why a steel ranger can't keep up with the F150...

Although I'd prefer aluminum... I'm just happy to get a new Bronco period

Well now hold on... The old ranger was steel.. And it had smaller engines and people still enjoyed them.

It was also smaller than what's coming out next year.

Which reminds me, who wants to take bets on when we finally see it? My money is on LA Auto Show.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

What's the difference between the Hilux and the Tacoma?

plenty, the Hilux is a more basic truck with leaf spring rear end that has been evolved into a more civil vehicle

while the Tacoma was sourced from the same platform as the Landcruiser 120 and comes with IRS,

it's actually a better and slightly roomier truckmore in keeping with what North American buyers want.

• Like 1

And perfermance. You take a Ranger in spitting distance of F150's weight and put in half the engine it will be a dog and a lot queen.

and what if I could show you that apples to apples,Colorado and Ranger are near on the same weight?

would you still think that Ranger would be a lot queen when Colorado is selling so well against Silverado?

OK allow me to put some meat on those bones and compare the current Ranger to Colorado and F150,

First off, curb weights of base models

- Chevrolet Colorado as per GM's Press Room Release..LINK

- Ranger weights as per Ford Ranger pdf Brochure.

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 2WD

Colorado 2.5 Auto...............4020 lb/ 1823 Kg

Colorado 3.6 V6..................4190 lb/ 1901 Kg

Colorado 2.8 TD..................4460 lb/ 2023 Kg

Ranger XL 2.5 TiVCT..........3916 lb/ 1780 Kg...(Ford Mexico website - probably 5MT...for V6 Auto, add 200 lbs.)

Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4319 lb/ 1963 Kg

Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4431 lb/ 2014 Kg

Crew Cab 5'6" Box 2WD

F150 3.5 TiVCT..................4489 lbs

F150 2.7 EB.......................4560 lbs

F150 3.5 EB.......................4629 lbs

F150 5.0 TiVCT..................4590 lbs

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 4WD

Colorado 3.6 V6..................4390 lb/ 1991 Kg

Colorado 2.8 TD............. ....4691 lb/ 2128 Kg

Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4525 lb/ 2057 Kg

Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4638 lb/ 2108 Kg

Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 TD......4950 lb/ 2250 Kg

Crew Cab 5'6" Box 4WD

F150 3.5 TiVCT..................4729 lbs

F150 2.7 EB.......................4782 lbs

F150 3.5 EB.......................4890lbs

F150 5.0 TiVCT..................4850 lbs

Ranger Vs Colorado:

When the high series of Chevrolet Colorado is compared to the Global Ranger Wildtrak,

a 400 lbs weight discrepancy is observed because the Colorado's base weight is being quoted.

When we compare Colorado's base model (WT) curb weight with those of the base model Ranger (XL),

that 400 lb weight discrepancy suddenly disappears....and what's more T6 Rangers have been those weights

since 2011, so GM's Colorado has basically caught up but not necessarily surpassed...

And when it comes to gasoline I-4s the two are basically line ball - the Colorado's auto being 100 lb weight addition.

Ranger Vs F150:

Remember that the weights quoted by Ford for the F150 are the minimum base weights for XL versions of the trucks.

Also,the weight of the I-4 and I-5 diesels should be taken in consideration when comparing to F150's gas engines.

The Ranger's 2.5 TiVCT engine is an eye opener as to just how heavy the diesels are....I expect that the gas V6Auto

if fitted to Ranger would be around 200 lb heavier than the 2.5 5MT or about Colorado V6's weight.

I would love Mods to be able to put this info somewhere as a sticky so that people can use for discussion.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Ranger XL 2.5 TiVCT..........3916 lb/ 1780 Kg...(Ford Mexico website - probably 5MT...for V6 Auto, add 200 lbs.)

F150 Crew Cab 5'6" Box 2WD

F150 3.5 TiVCT..................4489 lbs

WOW ! Those numbers are really close !! The NA Ranger base weight will likely be 4000+. Load with options, it will probably be more than a base F150 XL.

It was also smaller than what's coming out next year.

Which reminds me, who wants to take bets on when we finally see it? My money is on LA Auto Show.

Unless they go with a NAIAS debut.

plenty, the Hilux is a more basic truck with leaf spring rear end that has been evolved into a more civil vehicle

while the Tacoma was sourced from the same platform as the Landcruiser 120 and comes with IRS,

it's actually a better and slightly roomier truckmore in keeping with what North American buyers want.

Ah interesting - thanks for the info, I don't know much about the Hilux at all.

Perhaps Ranger for LA and Bronco for Detroit?

But Ford should have a busy auto show schedule of reveals over the next two-three years. That will be nice as o feel like it's been way too quiet over the past 2-3.

I don't think we will see them both that close together with the Bronco being a 2020 model, but I wouldn't rule out a "concept" version that is basically the production version with minor differences.

WOW ! Those numbers are really close !! The NA Ranger base weight will likely be 4000+. Load with options, it will probably be more than a base F150 XL.

300# difference. The Ranger engines better not be too anemic.

A 4400# vehicle powered by an n/a 4 cyl will be a lot queen. It will need grunt or people will just go up to the F150

Edited by J-150

Perhaps Ranger for LA and Bronco for Detroit?

But Ford should have a busy auto show schedule of reveals over the next two-three years. That will be nice as o feel like it's been way too quiet over the past 2-3.

Given the fact that the plant isn't retooling till next May (2018) I think the Ranger will be shown off at Detroit next January and launched in the fall.

The Bronco won't be seen till late 2018 or even 2019, since it won't go into production til the spring of 2019 or so as a 2020 model.

WOW ! Those numbers are really close !! The NA Ranger base weight will likely be 4000+.

And this was always the dilemma of delivering a mid sized trucks given that in essence, it basically a 6" or 7" narrower truck.

Also, T6 Rangers is closer to gen 1 Explorer Sport Trac in size, which probably explains why Ford held off for so long.

The base 2WD single cab low rider 2.5 gasoline Ranger with 8 foot bed is still pretty light at 1530 Kg / 3366 lbs,

I don't see a SC F150 (4152 lbs) getting anywhere near that.....

Load with options, it will probably be more than a base F150 XL.

Mind you, the price of a loaded Crew cab Colorado or Ranger is going to be more profitable than a base model Silverado /F150.

So you can see why GM really pushed the Crew cab version of V6 Colorado - it's actually what those buyers now want.

When you look at the T6 Ranger, it basically covers several markets, the low rider single cab that most would identify as the little

Ranger they remember and then there's the High Rider Single cab, Super Cab and Crew Cab versions in either 2WD or 4WD

and it's this latter group that Ford will want to sell to the majority of Ranger buyers.

With regards to Ranger crew cab versions being closer tin weight to the new F150, lets not forget what Ford just did to

get the current F150 700 lbs lighter than it was, so before alloy bodies, F150 was around 900 lbs heavier than Ranger.

and being around seven inches narrower, the Ranger will have less drag at highway speed.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1