Ford to make large manufacturing investment announcement on 3/28

New Ranger and Bronco at Michigan Assembly

The work to transform Michigan Assembly Plant begins next May. Following the same pattern used during vehicle changeover at Dearborn Truck Plant in 2014, Michigan Assembly will take just four weeks to remove and reinstall the tooling necessary to build the all-new Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco.

The iconic Ranger and Bronco will further expand Fords truck and SUV leadership in North America two of the companys profit pillars.

During the last five years, sales of midsize pickups have grown nearly 50 percent. Many truck buyers want an affordable, functional, rugged and maneuverable pickup thats Built Ford Tough. Ranger is built to meet their needs.

Rugged utilities have been the second fastest-growing SUV segment during the last five years, making it the time right for Broncos return especially with its legendary 4x4 off-road capability.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia-mobile/fna/us/en/news/2017/03/28/ford-investing-one-point-two-billion-in-three-michigan-facilities.html

I'm 90% sure that had more to do with the projected further decline in sedan sales than in any political factors.

Not saying it wasn't but I think the more favorable political climate played some part. Otherwise they could have simply found other products to go into the new plant.

The 3.0L Lion diesel is currently built at Dagenham, correct? Where else is that engine currently used besides Land Rover? How much longer will Ford be their diesel engine supplier?

Yes sir, Dagenham Diesel Centre is the assembly site for 3.0L AJD V6 engine. In addition to Land Rovers, this engine is currently used in Jaguar XF 30d and Jaguar XJ.

My guess is that JLR will completely phase out the use of Ford designed engines (both diesel and gasoline) by the end of the decade. The Ingenium inline sixes should be in production by 2018.

Future engine for Romeo? It's not far from Wayne compared to Lima or Cleveland.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2017/03/28/ford-investment-michigan-plants/99705820/

My guess would be a large displacement twin cam naturally aspirated 4 cyl with port and direct injection for the Ranger. It would be smaller than the base V6 in the F-150 and at least equal to the base 2.5L in the GM twins. I doubt the base engine will be an EB but I'm hoping the optional gas engine is the 2.7L EB although that is a big if considering it would far outclass anything the competition has to offer.

My guess would be a large displacement twin cam naturally aspirated 4 cyl with port and direct injection for the Ranger. It would be smaller than the base V6 in the F-150 and at least equal to the base 2.5L in the GM twins. I doubt the base engine will be an EB but I'm hoping the optional gas engine is the 2.7L EB although that is a big if considering it would far outclass anything the competition has to offer.

That's plausible. A derivative of the current 2.5 from the Fusion, with maybe the 2.3EB in between that an the 2.7 with potential for a diesel option later on if the F-150 and GM twin diesels take off at all.

2015 UAW Contract pdf HERE

Go to pages 7. 8 and 9 for details of product commitment....

Notice under Flat Rock that Fusion was continuing yet was balanced out in early 2016...

Also current model MKC was supposed to balance out at Louisville and make room for more Escape..

Lots of changes to the projected product commitments have already happened........

That's plausible. A derivative of the current 2.5 from the Fusion, with maybe the 2.3EB in between that an the 2.7 with potential for a diesel option later on if the F-150 and GM twin diesels take off at all.

Why would they create a new NA engine when they have 1.0EB, 1.5EB and 2.0EB readily available? Unless they want something dirt cheap for fleet sales.

I'm hearing the base Ranger engine will be a reworked 2.0 coming out of DEP, similar to what is currently in the Focus.

Hmmm thats interesting given the fact that the Colorado's I4 is rated at 200HP/191 ft-lb

The 2.0L DI in the Focus is only 160 hp/146 ft-lb

Unless they are losing some weight with the Ranger, it might be at a disadvantage...unless its going just to fleet sales.

Hmmm thats interesting given the fact that the Colorado's I4 is rated at 200HP/191 ft-lb

The 2.0L DI in the Focus is only 160 hp/146 ft-lb

Unless they are losing some weight with the Ranger, it might be at a disadvantage...unless its going just to fleet sales.

I'm guessing it will have more than 160/146 when it's done.

I wonder if we should read into the fact that Ford itself specifically mentioned the changeover of DTP in the press release......in other words, does that hint at aluminum, or is it just a timeline reference?

The Ranger will not be aluminum. I saw that on a Q&A with Joe Hinrichs on the in plant bulletins.

What I'm hearing is they are going to completely gut and rebuild the entire plant (except for paint shop) in the same manner as DTP.

The Ranger will not be aluminum. I saw that on a Q&A with Joe Hinrichs on the in plant bulletins.

What I'm hearing is they are going to completely gut and rebuild the entire plant (except for paint shop) in the same manner as DTP.

Guess that means that the Bronco won't be either.

Hmm...guess they just didn't see the benefits for it at the price point?

Also, that makes me wonder if we are just getting a refreshed version of the existing ROW Ranger. I still find it hard to believe that they'd tool up an entire plant with an old design that would be completely replaced in a couple of years.

Guess that means that the Bronco won't be either.

Yeah, it would seem so.