2020/21 Fusion/Mondeo/ Autonomous Car?

Hi guys, thought I'd start this thread to speculate.

Do we think these two will still be related? Moray Callum has said One Ford has done its job and cars will be more region specific, but a large car in Europe would need to be amortised I would think.

I'm guessing it will also form the basis for the autonomous ride-sharing car, since the majority of these are currently Fusions.

I'm also guessing the car will be several hundred kilos/ pounds lighter. The Fusion Lightweight would be a good indication- carbon fibre engine cradle and certain parts should be suitable for mass-manufacturuing by then. I think it would need this to compete with lighter Malibu and significantly lighter Insignia in Europe.

This means a weight range of 2700lbs to maybe even 3200 for the Sport. I'm assuming they'll keep the Sport drivetrain, since V6's are still very popular in America, probably shift to a 9-speed automatic though.

I predict the base engine will be the 1.5 3-cylinder Ecoboost seen in the latest Fiesta ST, giving it a weight advantage over Malibu 1.5T. Stop-start, cyl deactivation and a 3-cylinder engine for the hybrid will help the car meet 2025 CAFE targets.

In Europe these will be far more aggressive. So I'd expect 1.0EB will be retained, and a 48V mild-hybrid added to petrol and diesel. Does anyone know if the 2.0 PowerBlue diesel engine is modular? Currently the 1.6 diesel used in Focus/Fiesta and Mondeo in Europe is PSA unit- I don't expect this to continue now they've purchased Ford's arch-rival...

The Euro-centric hatch will take on more styling flair, so that an 'active' crossover verison would look like an X6 or Mercedes GLE Coupe. I expect a floating roofline etc. Sedan will be a US and China only proposition as it is today.

Not sure about platform- 2018 Focus is expected to be carryover, so maybe an all-new one? I expect USA would call the shots here.

I know it's early days but anyone else have some information to share?

• Like 1

Next gen Fiesta and Focus are on the same platform, Not sure if escape is switching as it's expected to grow in wheelbase.

Dragon based Ecoboost 1.5 EB I-3 will be released in Europe either later this year or early next year

and probably seen in NG Focus...one of the resons why Ford NA won't eb changing 2.0 /Powershift

before production ends at Michingan AP.

Product cycles begin rolling as of next year so by then we should get a clearer picture of the landscape

moving forward, I's expect to see more embracing of hybrid and PHEV tech iin strategically important

vehicles like Focus and Mondeo as well as Escape, maybe Edge as well..

New Ecoblue diesel has arrived and will roll out further in other products like Ranger and Mondeo

as Ford switches away for old Puma 2.2 and the 2.0 and 2.2 PSA JV engines.

I'm not convinced about the robustness of autonomous vehicles but perhaps four years on the

situation is a little different - I simply can't get my head around vehicle sharing or self drivng

vehicles with so many uncontrolled erratic human drivers still on the roads. My opinion is

that driverless tech may roll out in different areas to what we expect, perhaps large

interstate semi trucks are a better application where other drivers respect the size

and avoid interaction.

• Like 1

An Uber self-driving car ended up on its side yesterday when a human driver failed to yield the right of way to the Uber car. There was a human in the driver's seat of the Uber car monitoring the operation.

The Uber car is a Ford Fusion Hybrid.

My favorite test case is a four way stop sign intersection with three human drivers and one self driving car that all arrive at the intersection simultaneously.

My experience is that many drivers have no clue what the protocol is in this situation.

Edited by murphy62

Hi guys, thought I'd start this thread to speculate.

Do we think these two will still be related? Moray Callum has said One Ford has done its job and cars will be more region specific, but a large car in Europe would need to be amortised I would think.

I'm guessing it will also form the basis for the autonomous ride-sharing car, since the majority of these are currently Fusions.

I'm also guessing the car will be several hundred kilos/ pounds lighter. The Fusion Lightweight would be a good indication- carbon fibre engine cradle and certain parts should be suitable for mass-manufacturuing by then. I think it would need this to compete with lighter Malibu and significantly lighter Insignia in Europe.

This means a weight range of 2700lbs to maybe even 3200 for the Sport. I'm assuming they'll keep the Sport drivetrain, since V6's are still very popular in America, probably shift to a 9-speed automatic though.

I predict the base engine will be the 1.5 3-cylinder Ecoboost seen in the latest Fiesta ST, giving it a weight advantage over Malibu 1.5T. Stop-start, cyl deactivation and a 3-cylinder engine for the hybrid will help the car meet 2025 CAFE targets.

In Europe these will be far more aggressive. So I'd expect 1.0EB will be retained, and a 48V mild-hybrid added to petrol and diesel. Does anyone know if the 2.0 PowerBlue diesel engine is modular? Currently the 1.6 diesel used in Focus/Fiesta and Mondeo in Europe is PSA unit- I don't expect this to continue now they've purchased Ford's arch-rival...

The Euro-centric hatch will take on more styling flair, so that an 'active' crossover verison would look like an X6 or Mercedes GLE Coupe. I expect a floating roofline etc. Sedan will be a US and China only proposition as it is today.

Not sure about platform- 2018 Focus is expected to be carryover, so maybe an all-new one? I expect USA would call the shots here.

I know it's early days but anyone else have some information to share?

1. Do we think these two will still be related?

Yes, large car sales in Europe is declining and there is no economic case for a standalone Mondeo.

2. I'm also guessing the car will be several hundred kilos/ pounds lighter.

No doubt.

3. I'm assuming they'll keep the Sport drivetrain, since V6's are still very popular in America, probably shift to a 9-speed automatic though.

I'm not that certain V6 will be back but I think it is safe to assume there will be another Fusion Sport. This all depends on what Ford will do with MKZ and whether it keeps V6. The performance model could be a hybrid - e.g. 2.3 EB hybrid.

4. I predict the base engine will be the 1.5 3-cylinder Ecoboost.

I predict we will only get 1.5 I3 EB with hybrid setup as a mid range engine.

5. In Europe these will be far more aggressive. So I'd expect 1.0EB will be retained, and a 48V mild-hybrid added to petrol and diesel.

I think the car will be designed to accommodate batteries and true hybrid across the board so no silly mild hybrid crap. And only the cheapest model will carry on with internal combustion engine only. What that base model engine is in each market likely varies. In Europe it may be 1.0 EB. In US it maybe 2.0 DI.

In the US and China I expect something like this:

2.0 DI (fleet only?)

1.5 EB hybrid

2.0 EB hybrid

2.3 EB hybrid (Sport?)

2.7 EB hybrid (maybe, maybe not)

In Europe I expect something like this:

1.0 EB

1.0 EB hybrid

1.5 EB hybrid

2.0 EB hybrid

1.5 diesel

2.0 diesel

6. The Euro-centric hatch will take on more styling flair, so that an 'active' crossover verison would look like an X6 or Mercedes GLE Coupe.

I seriously doubt it. X6 and GLE are SUVs. Ford need Mondeo to remain a car in Europe because majority of the buyers are fleet (company cars) that have very strict requirements. Mondeo will have to compete with premium brand cars like BMW 3 and 4 series or Audi A4 and A5, Mercedes C-Class, and other mainstream brand company cars like Passat, Insignia, Octavia, 508 etc. not large SUVs.

The wagon is the big question mark. I think Ford is missing the big picture here with something like Volvo V60 Cross Country, VW Passat Alltrack, Opel Insignia Country, Subaru Outback etc.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

Fusion / Mondeo / autonoM.O.U.S.E

...In the US and China I expect something like this:

2.0 DI (fleet only?)

1.5 EB hybrid

2.0 EB hybrid

2.3 EB hybrid (Sport?)

2.7 EB hybrid (maybe, maybe not)

In Europe I expect something like this:

1.0 EB

1.0 EB hybrid

1.5 EB hybrid

2.0 EB hybrid

1.5 diesel

2.0 diesel

I've asked elsewhere about a 2.3EB in any CD4 ... is there?