RS badge coming to a crossover near you?

Nope... not a lot of focuses (foci?) in Alaska.... Now if Ford could come out with an AWD version... I think that would pretty popular. Sure crossovers are the big thing now, but the Escape is such a price jump over the Focus that I feel the Focus could still do well.

Good Lord. Do you even BON, bro?

• Like 1

I've said it before, but as long as it still has a tow capacity, I'd be all over an Escape ST or RS. My Escape handles better than my Mazda 3, although that's because the suspension is shot in the 3 but the roads are terrible around here, so I don't mind too much for a commuter car. As it currently stands, I only drive the Escape when I have 3+ people in the car, need to haul something, or need to tow something. I'd prefer a Focus wagon with a tow capacity, but especially with a lower ride height for better stability (and gas mileage at the same power), but an Escape ST/RS sounds like a great compromise for the US market.

I can confirm that spinning the wheels is fairly easy on a 2.0 FWD Escape. Stock Conti Pro Contact tires don't help either - I get much better performance (including better gas mileage) on my snow tires. Can't wait to get Michelins on the car. Probably next summer at my current rate of driving. Starting to notice wear on the Contis when I changed back to them last weekend. Probably around 30k on them now.

An RS is not going to be a tow rig.

An X5M can tow 6000, a Porsche Cayenne can tow 7700, and a GLE AMG can tow 7200, SQ5 can tow 4,400. Ford should make it be able to tow. The Edge already can't tow much so they would need to beef up the structure in general -- 3,500lbs isn't much, and is the same as the Escape. You also can't get the tow package with the Edge sport -- have to go to the MKX for the 2.7L and tow package.

Edited by jasonj80

I'd love to see a performance ST or RS escape as much the next guy. But if someone has a real trailer to tow, they really should get something more capable than a small crossover with a fwd-based powertrain. Now a small lawn mower trailer or an aluminum john boat is a different story obviously. But I'd be scared to try anything close to 3500 behind an escape or edge regardless of which engine it has. Take a look at the suspension components and drivetrain - there isn't a whole lot of margin in those pieces for a trailer jerking the whole thing around.

Yet the Edge Sport is rated at 2000 lbs. :headscratch:

I also notice that on the Ford towing page, the Edge is listed under crossovers while the Escape is under the SUVs. Again, :headscratch:

Have to get the tow package for either to tow 3500. The package beefs up the transmission and gives a transmission cooler. It is always wise to get the tow package even if you don't tow on any Ford for that reason.

I'd love to see a performance ST or RS escape as much the next guy. But if someone has a real trailer to tow, they really should get something more capable than a small crossover with a fwd-based powertrain. Now a small lawn mower trailer or an aluminum john boat is a different story obviously. But I'd be scared to try anything close to 3500 behind an escape or edge regardless of which engine it has. Take a look at the suspension components and drivetrain - there isn't a whole lot of margin in those pieces for a trailer jerking the whole thing around.

Speaking of FWD-based powertrains, the Explorer Sport is beaten in towing by a BMW X5 xDrive35i. By about 1000 lbs despite the (rated) power deficit.

Have to get the tow package for either to tow 3500. The package beefs up the transmission and gives a transmission cooler. It is always wise to get the tow package even if you don't tow on any Ford for that reason.

Ford doesn't offer the tow package for the Edge Sport, as you mentioned before... well, as I've read elsewhere, all the components are there save for the hitch.

I noticed elsewhere that the Fusion Sport is down-rated for towing much as the Edge Sport is. So maybe they don't trust the transmission to handle 380 ft-lbs of torque AND tow a trailer larger than a ton.

ETA: Maybe the Sport suspension?

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Depending on the model you go up a transmission, On the Explorer Edge and Flex you go from the 6R50 to the 6R55 when you get the tow package. I'm not sure on the escape if you go to the 6R50 or not.

You can get the tow package with the 2.7 on the MKX so it is not a powertrain or chassis issue. I actually know a person that was going to get an Edge Sport but didn't because it couldn't tow his jet skis, ended up with a HEMI Grand Cherokee.

Edited by jasonj80