Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Continental • Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Smoke from Transmission fill port?

transmission escape

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rocko9999

Rocko9999

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 21-March 17
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Escape

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

I recently drained and filled my 2015 Escapes transmission. I made sure it was filled to the correct fluid level. Now a small amount of smoke/fumes are coming out of the fill port/vent and being pulled into the cab through the a/c vents while idling or stopped. Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Fusion SEL, 2007 Volvo C70, 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, 2005 Ford Focus

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

Did you check the level after you have driven it? It needs to be checked when really hot. The fluid expands a lot. Drive it at least ten miles. Then check the level. The thermostat in that trans doesn't open until 180 degrees fluid temp.

#3 OFFLINE   YT90SC

YT90SC

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

Also it has to be on flat level ground. As Fordtech said, IF you filled it cold, you WAY overfilled it.  

Dad always said,"Knowledge is limited but stupidity knows no bounds."

#4 OFFLINE   Rocko9999

Rocko9999

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 21-March 17

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Did you check the level after you have driven it? It needs to be checked when really hot. The fluid expands a lot. Drive it at least ten miles. Then check the level. The thermostat in that trans doesn't open until 180 degrees fluid temp.

I thought I had gotten it hot enough. Is there anyway to tell if its at full temp besides driving long distance? Will freeway driving suffice?

#5 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Fusion SEL, 2007 Volvo C70, 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, 2005 Ford Focus

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

I thought I had gotten it hot enough. Is there anyway to tell if its at full temp besides driving long distance? Will freeway driving suffice?

Without a scan tool, I don't know of a way to see the trans temp. Freeway driving will do fine. It has an internal thermostat so it will get to tempature no matter what kind of driving. Ten miles will be enough to get it hot.

#6 OFFLINE   Rocko9999

Rocko9999

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 21-March 17

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:47 AM

Without a scan tool, I don't know of a way to see the trans temp. Freeway driving will do fine. It has an internal thermostat so it will get to tempature no matter what kind of driving. Ten miles will be enough to get it hot.

Got a tool, made sure fluid was 195, level is now correct. I am still getting some trans fluid smell in the cabin while stopped idling. Any other reason this would be happening? Operating temperature of trans is 190-200F.

#7 OFFLINE   Escapism

Escapism

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 29-August 12
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Escape Titanium 4WD Build Date 09/12

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

Check this out.

http://www.fordescap...luid-smell.html

#8 OFFLINE   MKX1960

MKX1960

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Joined 12-June 07
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Explorer Platinum

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

Looks like the same person over there that asked in this thread.

#9 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

Got a tool, made sure fluid was 195, level is now correct. I am still getting some trans fluid smell in the cabin while stopped idling. Any other reason this would be happening? Operating temperature of trans is 190-200F.

I don't have an ideas other than what you checked. The fluid isn't puking out the vent is it? Just "smoke" like a mist?. Interesting it only turned into an issue after you drained and filled it.

#10 OFFLINE   Escapism

Escapism

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 29-August 12
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Escape Titanium 4WD Build Date 09/12

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

Hope the OP used mercon LV.

#11 OFFLINE   Rocko9999

Rocko9999

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 21-March 17

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

I don't have an ideas other than what you checked. The fluid isn't puking out the vent is it? Just "smoke" like a mist?. Interesting it only turned into an issue after you drained and filled it.

No, no fluid puking. Just a tiny amount of vaporized/smoke fluid smell. Hard to see without a flashlight even in the day.  If I cover the fill port the smell can't escape and goes away.

#12 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

The fill port doubles as a vent. I wonder if the vent cap is stuck open/defective. You checked the level with the plug on the side of the transmission next to CV axle correct?

#13 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

With the vehicle on a level hoist, the engine running in PARK, remove the oil leveling plug and allow the transmission fluid to drain until its even with the oil leveling plug hole. If the transmission fluid does not drain from the oil leveling plug hole add transmission fluid in increments of .25 L (0.264 qt) until the transmission fluid is even with the oil leveling plug hole. Install the oil leveling plug.

#14 OFFLINE   Rocko9999

Rocko9999

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 21-March 17

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

The fill port doubles as a vent. I wonder if the vent cap is stuck open/defective. You checked the level with the plug on the side of the transmission next to CV axle correct?

With the vehicle on a level hoist, the engine running in PARK, remove the oil leveling plug and allow the transmission fluid to drain until its even with the oil leveling plug hole. If the transmission fluid does not drain from the oil leveling plug hole add transmission fluid in increments of .25 L (0.264 qt) until the transmission fluid is even with the oil leveling plug hole. Install the oil leveling plug.

Yes, I triple checked to make sure the fluid was at the exact level needed.

I am not sure if the cap is defective. If it's supposed to constantly vent air/fumes, it's working.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·