The Sebring Race

bifs66

For most of the IMSA 12hrs. of Sebring, The Ford GTs appeared to be the class of the GTLM field. However, they seemed to fade at the end resulting in a Corvette victory. Was it speed, strategy, pit stops, mechanical issues, BOP, or something else? Any thoughts?

I think as the track got cooler their setup went away. Team Corvette is very experienced at what their cars need for different track conditions.

I do think maybe the BOP has hobbled the 3.5 EB to no straight line advantage. When handling goes away they are toast in my estimation.

• Like 1

I think as the track got cooler their setup went away. Team Corvette is very experienced at what their cars need for different track conditions.

I do think maybe the BOP has hobbled the 3.5 EB to no straight line advantage. When handling goes away they are toast in my estimation.

That's what I saw too. Looks like the GT handling went away as night fell. They tried a pit strategy that didn't work out for them in the end.

That's what I saw too. Looks like the GT handling went away as night fell. They tried a pit strategy that didn't work out for them in the end.

I believe you nailed it with your last sentence. I had just tuned in and the commentators were basically saying.."they just blew it". Like I said I was not in on it from the beginning but apparently it had something to do with a decision made (or not made) in the pit stop they just made. I was hoping someone might post just what that was. But they were killing it up to that point. These announcers all but said they gave the race away at that point. And if you look at their speed in the end it kept dropping so I'm thinking perhaps it was a tire decision???

I can't believe this was indicative of some advantage the 'vettes had over the GT-because they did not have it at Daytona right? Sounds like it really was a bad choice that resulted in loss.

Poor pit strategy by Ford was no doubt an issue. Why have three cars if they are all on the same pit schedule?

I also can't help but wonder if the Corvette team wasn't sandbagging earlier in the race as well. Same with Porsche. Both cars came on strong at the end. The Porsche probably would have won if not for a late race flat left front while it was closing on the Vette. Those teams have been playing this BOP game with the current ruling body a lot longer than Ford and are probably a little more adept at seeing the big picture. The speed differential increased by about three seconds per lap in the closing laps. Hard to imagine that was all due to tires.

• Like 1