Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Continental • Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Sebring Race

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bifs66

bifs66

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 262 posts
  • Joined 16-February 04

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

For most of the IMSA 12hrs. of Sebring, The Ford GTs appeared to be the class of the GTLM field.  However, they seemed to fade at the end resulting in a Corvette victory.   Was it speed, strategy, pit stops, mechanical issues, BOP, or something else?   Any thoughts?

1966 Mustang Fastback Restomod
1985 Mustang GT (Preserved)
1997 F-150 4x4
2011 Edge SEL

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Stray Kat

Stray Kat

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 479 posts
  • Joined 28-July 03

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:21 AM

I think as the track got cooler their setup went away. Team Corvette is very experienced at what their cars need for different track conditions.

I do think maybe the BOP has hobbled the 3.5 EB to no straight line advantage. When handling goes away they are toast in my estimation.
  • coupe3w likes this

#3 OFFLINE   coupe3w

coupe3w

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Joined 06-October 99
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Focus SE, 67 Mustang FB, 34 3 Window Coupe

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

I think as the track got cooler their setup went away. Team Corvette is very experienced at what their cars need for different track conditions.

I do think maybe the BOP has hobbled the 3.5 EB to no straight line advantage. When handling goes away they are toast in my estimation.

That's what I saw too. Looks like the GT handling went away as night fell. They tried a pit strategy that didn't work out for them in the end.

#4 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

That's what I saw too. Looks like the GT handling went away as night fell. They tried a pit strategy that didn't work out for them in the end.

I believe you nailed it with your last sentence.  I had just tuned in and the commentators were basically saying.."they just blew it".  Like I said I was not in on it from the beginning but apparently it had something to do with a decision made (or not made) in the pit stop they just made.  I was hoping someone might post just what that was.  But they were killing it up to that point.  These announcers all but said they gave the race away at that point.  And if you look at their speed in the end it kept dropping so I'm thinking perhaps it was a tire decision???

I can't believe this was indicative of some advantage the 'vettes had over the GT-because they did not have it at Daytona right? Sounds like it really was a bad choice that resulted in loss.

#5 OFFLINE   blksn8k2

blksn8k2

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Joined 22-March 06

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Poor pit strategy by Ford was no doubt an issue. Why have three cars if they are all on the same pit schedule?

I also can't help but wonder if the Corvette team wasn't sandbagging earlier in the race as well. Same with Porsche. Both cars came on strong at the end. The Porsche probably would have won if not for a late race flat left front while it was closing on the Vette. Those teams have been playing this BOP game with the current ruling body a lot longer than Ford and are probably a little more adept at seeing the big picture. The speed differential increased by about three seconds per lap in the closing laps. Hard to imagine that was all due to tires.

• coupe3w likes this
My current rides:
07 Sport Trac Limited 4x4 V8
99 Mustang Cobra (Roush Body Kit)
75 Bronco (393 Windsor, NV3550 5-speed)
70 Mustang Mach 1 (428 CJ, 4-speed)
68 Cougar (390 GT, C6)
67 Ranchero (460, C6, Pro Street)

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·