Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FORDS ALUMINUM BODY SECRET:

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rjd75

rjd75

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 04-April 08

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

Amazing that cheap aluminum siding on a house doesn't have these problems, but an expensive SUV does..

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Fusion SEL, 2007 Volvo C70, 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, 2005 Ford Focus

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

Amazing that cheap aluminum siding on a house doesn't have these problems, but an expensive SUV does..

Agreed. However your house doesn't drive 70mph on the interstate subject to bugs and road rash.

#23 OFFLINE   HarryTitus

HarryTitus

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 31-October 17
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 F250

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

A trusted Ford expert told me a few months ago that they finally figured out the problem. According to him, they stamped steel panels on the same dies as the aluminum panels, leaving just a molecular trace of ferrous material as a residual on the dies. When the aluminum panels are  then stamped, the residue transfers to the aluminum. The dissimilar metals then corrode. I know, sounds far fetched, but they have since quit using the dies for steel parts and the problem is supposed to be solved.

By the way, my 2005 Expedition had some small corrosion starting to show about two years ago. It was never garaged, ran Ohio roads in the winter, and only had a few small corrosion spots when I traded it in on the new Super Duty two months ago...however, the Rocker panels (steel) were completely rusted off all the way into and past the door seals. Compared to the rocker panels those aluminum parts held up pretty good I'd say!

Harry  

#24 ONLINE   dennis48755

dennis48755

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 03-July 17
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Expedition

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Not sure what you call it bump/dent guard/shield, but the gen3 Expeditions had a 9 inch vinyl trim layer around the bottom body that would appear to protect the body from dents.

I don't see this in the new Gen 4, is the lower aluminum body exposed to dents especially from opening the door against a gas pump cement post for example? Or is it there and just not apparent from the photos.

Dennis

Current Vehicle...

Ford 2015 Expedition XLT EL 4x4

Previous Vehicles...

Ford 2004 Expedition NBX 4x4

Ford 2001, 1999, 1996, 1993, 1991, 1984, 1979, 1976, 1970 Club Wagons

Ford 1987, 1974 Broncos

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·