Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Continental • Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Self Reporting Door Ding system with Camera

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   meyeste

meyeste

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Joined 13-August 05

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

I have so many door dings on my daily driver, I shutter to think about replacing it, last fall was really thinking about taking advantage of the fall sales, then I took my son to a birthday party and changed my mind. I was away from my car maybe 10 minutes came out and there were new dents on both sides caused by door dings. I had just washed my car, so I was absolutely sure the dents where new. At that point I abandoned the idea of getting a new car, as the only solace was at least my current vehicle is paid off. Since manufacturers are making cars so smart and capable, surely we can generate a protocol that would have a car that detected one of its' doors made contact with another, communicate to the other car that it happened. Also a camera in the rearview mirrors what would switch on when an impact is detected and possibly get license plate numbers. 

If people believe they aren't going to get away with damaging someone else's property they'll be more careful - it's the "keeping honest people honest" theory. 

If there were a new car that had a way of recording a door ding and whom was responsible, I'd definitely go for that feature. 

Edited by meyeste, 06 March 2017 - 10:49 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   tbone

tbone

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 10-October 05
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Raptor Supercrew

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

Absolutely! I hate door dings with a passion. I would pay extra for something like this. I am very consciousness around other people's vehicles, but unfortunately that is not always the case with others. This is why I park in the back 40 in parking lots and my wife tends to get annoyed with me.

#3 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 24,521 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Ti (Ruby Red)

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

I don't see it being technically feasible.  Even if you could detect the event, the vehicle is beside you so you can't see the license plate.  And nobody is going to allow their own vehicle to tattle on them.

2013 Fusion Titanium (Ruby Red)
2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve (Luxe/Cappucino)

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·