2018 Explorer Production Information

Here's the latest information available for the 2017/2018 Explorer production schedule.

• 07/14/2017 - 2017MY Fleet Final Order Due Date
  • 08/03/2017 - 2017MY Last Day to Spec Change
  • 10/15/2017 - 2017MY Job Last Date

• 08/01/2017 - 2018MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 08/31/2017 - 2018MY Scheduling Begins
  • 10/16/2017 - 2018MY Job #1 Date

• 3 weeks later...
Last week, I ordered a 2018 Explorer Platinum at Acton Ford in Acton, Massachusetts.

I have only a single "green" Massachusetts license plate for the rear of the vehicle, so I asked if could order my new Platinum without the front license-plate bracket. My sales guy explained that all Explorers built for delivery in Massachusetts come with a front license-plate bracket affixed at the factory because Ford Motor Company believes (incorrectly) that all vehicles in Massachusetts require two license plates. (See Page 20 of the 2018 Explorer Order Guide).

When I ordered my existing 2016 Explorer Platinum, it came with a front license-plate bracket even though I had requested otherwise. Because I don't have a front Massachusetts license plate, I had to remove the factory-mounted bracket and plug the holes in the front bumper with ugly plastic "warts." It looks better than it would with a vacant front license-plate bracket, but I regret having unnecessary holes in the front bumper.

During our discussion about this, my sales guy mentioned that the Ford Mustang can be ordered without a front license-plate bracket. Is there any way to do the same for my 2018 Explorer?
  • Like 1

Last week, I ordered a 2018 Explorer Platinum at Acton Ford in Acton, Massachusetts.
I have only a single "green" Massachusetts license plate for the rear of the vehicle, so I asked if could order my new Platinum without the front license-plate bracket. My sales guy explained that all Explorers built for delivery in Massachusetts come with a front license-plate bracket affixed at the factory because Ford Motor Company believes (incorrectly) that all vehicles in Massachusetts require two license plates. (See Page 20 of the 2018 Explorer Order Guide).
When I ordered my existing 2016 Explorer Platinum, it came with a front license-plate bracket even though I had requested otherwise. Because I don't have a front Massachusetts license plate, I had to remove the factory-mounted bracket and plug the holes in the front bumper with ugly plastic "warts." It looks better than it would with a vacant front license-plate bracket, but I regret having unnecessary holes in the front bumper.
During our discussion about this, my sales guy mentioned that the Ford Mustang can be ordered without a front license-plate bracket. Is there any way to do the same for my 2018 Explorer?

The Front License Plate Bracket is technically a free standing option on the Explorer and has to be selected to be included on each order. However, the order guide states that the front license plate bracket is "Standard in states requiring two license plates and optional to all others". The best I can advise is to make sure that your Dealer has not included the license plate order code. If it does include the code, the bracket will definitely be installed at the factory. If not, it just might get built without the bracket. If the Dealer puts through an AVO "Alter Vehicle Order" to remove the plate bracket code (if included on the original order submission) they'll get a new DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) the following day which will show whether or not the Ford order system is overriding the issue and generating the plate bracket for MA.

Most other vehicle lines are shipped with the front plate bracket in the trunk and then installed by the Dealer as part of the vehicle "prep" process. Our dealership has a specific policy of NOT installing the front plate bracket on any Mustang unless the customer specifically requests that it be installed.

• Like 1

The Front License Plate Bracket is technically a free standing option on the Explorer and has to be selected to be included on each order. However, the order guide states that the front license plate bracket is "Standard in states requiring two license plates and optional to all others". The best I can advise is to make sure that your Dealer has not included the license plate order code. If it does include the code, the bracket will definitely be installed at the factory. If not, it just might get built without the bracket. If the Dealer puts through an AVO "Alter Vehicle Order" to remove the plate bracket code (if included on the original order submission) they'll get a new DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) the following day which will show whether or not the Ford order system is overriding the issue and generating the plate bracket for MA.

Most other vehicle lines are shipped with the front plate bracket in the trunk and then installed by the Dealer as part of the vehicle "prep" process. Our dealership has a specific policy of NOT installing the front plate bracket on any Mustang unless the customer specifically requests that it be installed.

I appreciate your response and insight, ice-capades. I will check with my sales guy to make sure he did not include the license-plate bracket order code (153) on my order for a 2018 Platinum.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest update for the 2017/2018 Explorer production schedule.

• 07/14/2017 - 2017MY Fleet Final Order Due Date
  • 08/03/2017 - 2017MY Last Day to Spec Change
  • 10/20/2017 - 2017MY Job Last Date

• 08/01/2017 - 2018MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 08/24/2017 - 2018MY Scheduling Begins
  • 10/20/2017 - 2018MY Job #1 Date

The 2018MY Job #1 Date is probably a typo in Ford's FDNB Report. Expect the actual production to start on 10/23/2017.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Things are moving along. I ordered my 2018 Explorer on August 9, received an Order Number on August 28, and received the VIN on September 14. According to my sales guy, my Explorer is scheduled for production during the week of November 6.

Given that I now have the VIN, I thought the online Ford Order Tracking app (http://www.cotusb.ford.com/) would work. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

• 4 weeks later...

I received another production update on my 2018 Explorer.

Original schedule was for production to happen during the week of November 6. Latest update from my sales guy says schedule has slipped a week and now calls for vehicle to be built during week of November 13. Not surprised.

• 5 weeks later...
Finally, some progress on the order I placed on 8/10/2017 for a 2018 Explorer Platinum ...

Yesterday (11/8/2017), status was updated to "in production" and I was able to view the window sticker today (11/9/2017).

If I'm deciphering the codes imprinted on the window sticker correctly, my Explorer will be built on 11/16/2017.

The "Okay to Buy" status has been achieved for Explorer except for Sport (K8G) orders. Retail orders will begin to schedule the week of November 27th.

This explains why the online window sticker for my soon-to-be-built 2018 Explorer does not have "SPECIAL ORDER" printed on it. According to my sales guy, my Explorer was ordered as dealer stock to expedite delivery. Like you, he said retail orders will be scheduled after the initial batch of stock orders have been processed, built, and shipped.

It is weird, though, to see my Explorer listed among the inventory of vehicles at my dealership's website. However, it does say, "This vehicle is in transit."

Are you sure that's yours? They typically don't show up on the Ford website until they've been shipped.

Also understand it's possible yours gets held at the factory for up to a few weeks until it can be inspected and repaired before shipping. Just depends on how many they had to hold.

Are you sure that's yours? They typically don't show up on the Ford website until they've been shipped.

Also understand it's possible yours gets held at the factory for up to a few weeks until it can be inspected and repaired before shipping. Just depends on how many they had to hold.

Yup, it's my Explorer that's listed as part of the dealership's inventory. I know because the VIN specified at the dealership's website is the same as the VIN given to me by my sales guy on September 14. No question about it.

Just for yucks, I submitted an online inquiry to the dealership to express an interest in buying "my" Explorer. A few minutes later, I received a polite e-mail reply from the dealership letting me know "my" Explorer had already been sold.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...