Lincoln MKZ to be Discontinued?

Premier is the lowest trim level and besides, it seems kind of generic.

I don't love it but Sentinel would be a new production name and they do have history with it.

Premiere and Select make no sense to me as trim levels - I can never remember which one is the base model.

• Like 1

^ yeahBUT...

Premiere and Select make no sense to me as trim levels - I can never remember which one is the base model.

thumb.gif

don't like the pLeather/Premiere At ALL

& agree "Select" sucks as a descriptor.

I'd 'prefer' the base trim be UNnamed and include availability of ALL the Select options-pkgs (slightly re-arranged)

(( don't mind Select when demoted to a series of Pkgs

wondering if Lincoln can get by with just 3 levels?

regular/base + pkgs/opts ...replacing Select as (one of the/)a series of Pkg(s)**
Select 'Climate' Package
_ _ _ • Heated Steering Wheel • Automatic Rain-Sensing Wipers • Auto High-Beam Headlamps • Windshield wiper de-icer
Select Confidence Package
_ _ _ • adaptive-cruise • cross-traffic • 360°camera(s) • BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert
Select Comfort Pkg (rear compartment)
_ _ _ • deluxe rear armrest (trim) • Heated-Cooled Rear-Seats • Rear Duct B-Pillar Registers • inflating seatbelts?
with either 1-2-or-3 Pkgs includes • Leather & • Configurable LED daytime running lamps (DRL) • rear sunshade OR panoroof?
& INTERIOR/COMFORT: Power tilt/telescoping steering column with Memory, Premium leather-wrapped steering wheel
& SAFETY & SECURITY: AutoDim driverside mirror, Driver Assist Tech, SYNC®3 Pinch-to-Zoom when with Voice-Touchscreen Navigation
& FUNCTIONAL: Hands-free, foot-activated liftgate(Suv-Only?); Lincoln Experience II Package — Headlight Signature Lighting Light Up Sequence — Ambient Lighting Light Up Sequence — Autofold power sideview mirrors — Remote Software update Functionality — Universal Garage Door Opener — Personalized Service Write Up
IndividualOpts? ...Only available with at least one 'Select' Pkg
_ _ _ • Navigation System +Revel? • sunroof(Std?)(dual panel only?) • 30way PerfectPosition seats • inflating seatbelts? • CDplayer • wheel boutique
** also wondering about offering a lowTech/highLUX variant = 'special-but-easy'

maybe with pre-set skins for any unavoidable Tech?

( maybe I just think 'Select' is a dumb name for a trim-level & want 'Premier' saved for Merc...)

RESERVE needs as STD
* 'Climate' Package: • Heated Steering Wheel and • outboard rearseats • Automatic Rain-Sensing Wipers • Auto High-Beam Headlamps • Windshield wiper de-icer
* rear upgrades: airvents, deluxe rear armrest (trim), inflating seatbelts, reardoor windowshades
other Opts/Pkgs look OK so far...

[blackLabel] upgrading next...
...possibly mainly more color/theme choices (as above)

>> I'm STILL wondering how affordable all these add-ons could be if they were ALL just &%#^@ made STD??

ange003.gif ))

Edited by 2b2

At least on Fords you can tell the model by the option package - e.g. the base model Edge SE is 201a, SEL is 301a, Titanium is 401a, etc. etc. (don't quote me on those exact models but you get the gist)

Titanium Escape is 300/301 packages. Used to be 400 on my 2013 though. I think they changed it on the Escape Mid 2014 model.

I really do like the looks of the Continental Black Label in Rhapsody blue int./ext.

I think I prefer the sound of the EU Vignale sub brand name better than Black Label but Vignale is for Ford not Lincoln. According to Wikipedia there was a Lincoln Vignale concept car in 1987.

No sport. The 2013 had a SEL model which was 300 but that was dropped for the 2014 year. Titanium eventually moved from 400 to 300 to fill the gap.

A loaded SEL actually cost more then a Ti model, so it was superfluous.

No Sport trim, only an appearance package.

I saw an MKZ and Continental sitting side by side at the local dealership lot this afternoon. Based on exterior dimensions they are virtually the same size. I can see why the Zed may be dead.

I had the same thought. When a customer realizes they can get most of the same features on the MKZ at a lot less money, they may pass on the Continental. I have to wonder if the MKZ will be replaced by another sedan or something entirely different?

I had the same thought. When a customer realizes they can get most of the same features on the MKZ at a lot less money, they may pass on the Continental. I have to wonder if the MKZ will be replaced by another sedan or something entirely different?

As has been said a few times already, MKZ will be replaced. The MKZ nameplate is going away, that's all. So the replacement midsize sedan will have a name.

I reviewed and test drove MKZs and Continentals extensively. While the Z offers some of the same features, the driving experience is quite different. The Z drives like a Fusion or any other nice mid-sized sedan - and most are pretty good these days. However, the Continental is quieter, more isolated and has a much more solid and refined feel. The steering in the Conti actually feels quicker and more direct than the Z, too. Additionally, the front seat comfort, rear seat room, fit/finish, sound and feel of door closure are all vastly superior in the Continental.

A customer working with a tighter budget might choose the Z over the Conti and they would probably be happy with it. Another reason to choose the Z is that it is available with driver's package that includes sportier interior and firmer suspension. Those looking for a smaller and sportier car would prefer that over the more luxury oriented Conti.

• Like 1

Make the MKZ replacement a 4 door coupe with hatchback like BMW 4 series or Audi A5

The current MKZ already has a coupe like roof line and profile. Just missing the functional hatchback aspect.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1