Lincoln MKZ to be Discontinued?

Don't forget there is a huge expansion planned for FRAP - announced when they cancelled the new plant in Mexico.

Right, I know about that - I don't know the scale of expansion.....if it's expanded enough to make room for the others plus Fusion, then obviously this talk makes sense.....I just didn't realize it's to be that big of an expansion.

Right, I know about that - I don't know the scale of expansion.....if it's expanded enough to make room for the others plus Fusion, then obviously this talk makes sense.....I just didn't realize it's to be that big of an expansion.

I've been trying to find out what exactly the scale is because it sounded like a new second plant was going to be built. At this point I think everything is still in the planning stages because nobody seems to know anything or isn't willing to say anything yet.

I've been trying to find out what exactly the scale is because it sounded like a new second plant was going to be built. At this point I think everything is still in the planning stages because nobody seems to know anything or isn't willing to say anything yet.

Wow, that'd certainly be a huge expansion.

Wow, that'd certainly be a huge expansion.

As the plant is currently laid out, I have no idea how/where the autonomous cars could/would be built. There's also a large patch of unused land on the grounds west of the test track for something to go in. I live literally right across the freeway from the plant so it's going to be very interesting to see everything progress.

Maybe a Mustang based, but bit longer, for better ride.

Have a hardtop version that actually has a backseat with headroom for someone taller than 5' 6".

Only AWD, more luxury ride and handling, not for just going fast.

Yea, I've said this before:

Cougar, by Lincoln.

Or, the hell with hit, bring back the Zephyr.

The buyers Lincoln wants won't remember the Mercury Zephyr from the late 70s to early 80s.

When was the last time you saw one?

The Lincoln Zephyr nameplate was only here for what, a year?

Before the went with the alphabet soup concept.

Not sure if it will matter, there are times I have to wonder if Lincoln will make it.
I want it to succeed, just not sure if it will.

Maybe a Mustang based, but bit longer, for better ride.

Have a hardtop version that actually has a backseat with headroom for someone taller than 5' 6".

Only AWD, more luxury ride and handling, not for just going fast.

thumb.gif

How about calling the new MKZ "Continental" as well but with an adder such as Sport, Coupe, or an alphanumeric designator like Z, MKR or something like that? Lincoln will have 2 sub brands of cars. Continentals and name based SUVs. I really do like the Continental name.

How about calling the new MKZ "Continental" as well but with an adder such as Sport, Coupe, or an alphanumeric designator like Z, MKR or something like that? Lincoln will have 2 sub brands of cars. Continentals and name based SUVs. I really do like the Continental name.

Eh, I think they'd like to keep some exclusivity to the Continental name.

• Like 1

As far as there being room for two sedans, I'd say there is room if you have the traditional luxury sedan (Continential) and the second could be the four door coupe style which is popular... a long as it had the performance to back up the looks.

Another possibility is a luxury hybrid sedan, although on second thought, a luxury hybrid CUV would be a better option.

There is a president for this when Lincoln was a two model lineup between 1968 and 1976... There was the full-sized Continental and the Continental Mark.

Eh, I think they'd like to keep some exclusivity to the Continental name.

At one time, Continental was its own division in the FoMoCo empire, then it got folded into the Lincoln brand. As for naming more cars in the Lincoln line "Continental" would likely dilute the cache of the name itself....I can remember when Oldsmobile tried to cash in on the Cutlass name and tagged damn near everything in their lineup with the Cutlass moniker....destroyed the name itself....

I think he meant in the sense that there's not going to be a sweeping, instant change from alphabet names to full names like what Infiniti did going from the G, M, Q, FX, JX, etc. straight to Q#0 for sedans and QX#0 for SUVs without redesigns, just rebadging existing models.

Instead, we'll see a gradual shift toward names, with the alphabet names being dropped as each model is replaced. We've seen it with MKS being replaced by Continental, and MKZ is next.

Yeah, it was tough to come up with travel names last time I tried. Mariner would fit with the theme, but I think they want to stay away from using it to avoid the inevitable "tarted up Ford" reference that invites (whether valid or not). These are about all I could come up with (and they're not that good):

-Aeronaut

-Reconnaissance

-Enterprise

-Cavalcade

-Gallivanter

The last two are GTA names for those that play video games.

Cavalcade would fit better in Cadillac's lineup, eh? I have one in white with large chrome rims and limo windows with every performance upgrade..... My vehicle of choice on GTA.....

Cavalcade would fit better in Cadillac's lineup, eh? I have one in white with large chrome rims and limo windows with every performance upgrade..... My vehicle of choice on GTA.....

Well, considering the GTA one was designed to look like an Escalade, yeah haha. I just couldn't think of anything.

• Like 1

Spent some time looking through Hemmings Classifieds. Interesting to look at the nomenclature over the years. I agree Zephyr, Capri, Versailles, Cosmopolitan and Town car won't work anymore. Mark and MK were nice until the latest MKX, MKZ, MKT abused the idea. There was a Continental Coupe period as was the Lincoln Premiere. I believe there is a Premier trim level now though.

• Like 1