Lincoln MKZ to be Discontinued?

Back on the names - it wouldn't be crazy for them to call the Explorer-based crossover "Navigator Sport" like Land Rover does with the Range Rover/Range Rover Sport, and then to rename MKX Aviator when it gets a redesign. The MKX was originally going to be called the Aviator - the concept was labeled Aviator and production pictures of it badged Aviator were even released - before they decided to go to the MK_ scheme. This approach would save them from having to come up with another name.

I was also trying to think of more names:

Latitude

Longitude

Equator

Archipelago

Prime Meridian

Zenith

Pioneer

Paladin

Based on what a Lincoln rep told me, REALLY old people who remember the original Lincoln Zephyr are not likely buyers. Just OLD people remember the Fairmont clone and that is not the right image. Younger people remember the last Lincoln Zephyr and know it was a Fusion with a different grill. So, basically, the name Zephyr is screwed no matter the age group.

I'm looking at my AAA vehicle insurance for my 2016 MKZ....they still consider it as: VEHICLE ZEPHYR/MKZ 4DR!

Maybe it'll go with the T-Bird name. The original T-Bird was somewhat of a luxury sport coupe back in its day. Sticking it under the Lincoln name will let them go upscale and maybe make more $$ on it.

I don't think that would be well received and would only reinforce the "tarted up Ford" image that they're moving away from (whether it'd be a legitimate claim or not).

"Town Car" has been generic-ized now to mean 'livery car' or 'black hired car'. Or the vehicle that "the help" drives upper class people around. An all new name for MKZ would be best.

BTW: Latitude is used by Jeep as a trim level.

Edited by 630land

"Town Car" has been generic-ized now to mean 'livery car' or 'black hired car'. Or the vehicle that "the help" drives upper class people around. An all new name for MKZ would be best.

BTW: Latitude is used by Jeep as a trim level.

Yeah, I realized that. I was just trying to think of travel/geographical names.

Huh? Outside of Second or third hand sales, the Town Car name has zero cache.

Most of the first hand buyers of it are dead or in nursing homes now.

Maybe, it's just a handful of people making a lot of noise. I see many comment on videos stating until they bring the Town Car back, I'm not interested. Then, they go on and on about the Fusion platform and front wheel based drive etc etc.

Maybe it'll go with the T-Bird name. The original T-Bird was somewhat of a luxury sport coupe back in its day. Sticking it under the Lincoln name will let them go upscale and maybe make more $$ on it.

If they were to go to a really nice coupe, Mark II might be a good name for it or whatever number they left off at.

Maybe, it's just a handful of people making a lot of noise. I see many comment on videos stating until they bring the Town Car back, I'm not interested. Then, they go on and on about the Fusion platform and front wheel based drive etc etc.

Ah.....the Panther mafia. The same ones that refused to buy a brand new Town Car (or GM or CV) - they would buy them used on the cheap. Which does absolutely nothing for Ford.

• Like 2

I think there is still room for 2 luxury sedans if for no other reason than price point. They could be planning to do a coupe/convertible/sedan like Audi and BMW using CD6 (I still think Mustang moves to CD6) with a larger Continental which would be sedan only.

If they consolidated the CD6 car production to FRAP (and if that included the next gen Fusion) that would free up Hermosillo for Focus and Escape. CD6 utilities would go to CAP and/or OAP.

• Like 1

With S/CUV sales through the roof all over, Lincoln is best to have Continental be the top car, and bring out new Navigator and Aviator ASAP. Cont'y is selling, don't ruin it! And look at how Caddy's "RWD based" cars are flopping like green ketchup.

I think there is still room for 2 luxury sedans if for no other reason than price point. They could be planning to do a coupe/convertible/sedan like Audi and BMW using CD6 (I still think Mustang moves to CD6) with a larger Continental which would be sedan only.

If they consolidated the CD6 car production to FRAP (and if that included the next gen Fusion) that would free up Hermosillo for Focus and Escape. CD6 utilities would go to CAP and/or OAP.

Agreed with just about everything you said - my only uncertainty is your FRAP comment - is there enough capacity there to move Fusion there? I don't think there is, especially considering all the other vehicles Ford will be putting there that we know about. Global production of the "Model E" will be there, hybrid Mustang production, global Conti production (surely they expect that to greatly increase in China), autonomous vehicle production, and we've added MKZ production. I know there's an expansion planned, but would it be enough to add all of those PLUS Fusion production?

With S/CUV sales through the roof all over, Lincoln is best to have Continental be the top car, and bring out new Navigator and Aviator ASAP. Cont'y is selling, don't ruin it! And look at how Caddy's "RWD based" cars are flopping like green ketchup.

Navigator will be out late this year. MKC and MKZ replacements are the next vehicles slated for debuts for 2019 MY, with an MKX refresh coming after that either for 2019 or 2020MY. Then it's looking like Aviator will be after all of that because it's tied with Explorer, so around 2020 or 2021MY.