Lincoln MKZ to be Discontinued?

Yeah, that's been known. They made it sound more dramatic than it will be. It'll be "discontinued" in name only. There will be a replacement/next-gen "MKZ", but it's likely to get a name, so thus, "MKZ" is to be discontinued. It's misleading that McElroy wouldn't mention that, instead implying that there's nowhere to produce it (mentioning Flat Rock is full, ignoring the coming expansion), so they'll drop it.

Based on what a Lincoln rep told me, REALLY old people who remember the original Lincoln Zephyr are not likely buyers. Just OLD people remember the Fairmont clone and that is not the right image. Younger people remember the last Lincoln Zephyr and know it was a Fusion with a different grill. So, basically, the name Zephyr is screwed no matter the age group.

Edited by brucelinc
  • Like 2

Man I forgot out horrible the Sentinel Concept looked like!

http://www.carscoops.com/2009/07/lincoln-sentinel-concept-car-could-be.html

Not sure what else Ford could use that has a name worth a damn to be called a Lincoln. Travel names seem work well (Navigator, Aviator (next gen Lincoln Explorer or the MKX gets called that))...maybe something like Compass? Or is Jeep still using it?

Not sure what else Ford could use that has a name worth a damn to be called a Lincoln. Travel names seem work well (Navigator, Aviator (next gen Lincoln Explorer or the MKX gets called that))...maybe something like Compass? Or is Jeep still using it?

Or if you believe Kumar Galhaltra, Lincoln will continue to use both real names and alphabet names.

Or if you believe Kumar Galhaltra, Lincoln will continue to use both real names and alphabet names.

I think he meant in the sense that there's not going to be a sweeping, instant change from alphabet names to full names like what Infiniti did going from the G, M, Q, FX, JX, etc. straight to Q#0 for sedans and QX#0 for SUVs without redesigns, just rebadging existing models.

Instead, we'll see a gradual shift toward names, with the alphabet names being dropped as each model is replaced. We've seen it with MKS being replaced by Continental, and MKZ is next.

Man I forgot out horrible the Sentinel Concept looked like!

http://www.carscoops.com/2009/07/lincoln-sentinel-concept-car-could-be.html

Yeah, it was tough to come up with travel names last time I tried. Mariner would fit with the theme, but I think they want to stay away from using it to avoid the inevitable "tarted up Ford" reference that invites (whether valid or not). These are about all I could come up with (and they're not that good):

-Aeronaut

-Reconnaissance

-Enterprise

-Cavalcade

-Gallivanter

The last two are GTA names for those that play video games.

• Like 1

I think he meant in the sense that there's not going to be a sweeping, instant change from alphabet names to full names like what Infiniti did going from the G, M, Q, FX, JX, etc. straight to Q#0 for sedans and QX#0 for SUVs without redesigns, just rebadging existing models.

Instead, we'll see a gradual shift toward names, with the alphabet names being dropped as each model is replaced. We've seen it with MKS being replaced by Continental, and MKZ is next.

I hope this is the case, I hate alphabet names.

As an aside, when the Edsel was being developed back in the late 50's, Ford hired a poet to suggest names for the car. Here are some of her suggestions:

Mongoose Civique

Pastelogram

Utopian Turtletop

The Intelligent Whale

Pluma Piluma

There are others too, all equally bad.

Sentinel?

Town Car and placed above Continental. This is the model Lincoln customers keep asking for. I think the MKZ may be taking away sales from Continental, since they look so much alike up front. They can also option it up including the 3.0 and come in way below Continental. I know it's still early, but only about 2000 Continentals sold?

Edited by MKX1960

Town Car and placed above Continental. This is the model Lincoln customers keep asking for. I think the MKZ may be taking away sales from Continental, since they look so much alike up front. They can also option it up including the 3.0 and come in way below Continental. I know it's still early, but only about 2000 Continentals sold?

Continental has sold 7,507 units in its 6 months of sales.

• Like 1