Busch wins Daytona 500

blksn8k2

No, the other Busch. Good to see a Ford in victory lane but not much has changed in plate racing. 40 some cars running around in a big pack waiting for somebody to screw up and cause a huge wreck. I can't wait for the "real" season to start next week at Atlanta.

Edited by blksn8k2

No, the other Busch. Good to see a Ford in victory lane but not much has changed in plate racing. 40 some cars running around in a big pack waiting for somebody to screw up and cause a huge wreck. I can't wait for the "real" season to start next week at Atlanta.

Well no doubt-regardless of it being a plate race, the Fords did well until they were wrecked! And Ford money seems to be doing much better with Stewart Haas than the "cat in the hat"!

I still believe the real reason for restrictor plates was to end the Bill and Ernie Elliot domination of the superspeedways. They were stinking up the DW and Dale Sr show and GM didn't like it...money talks.

It's safety. Without plates they'd be doing 220-230 or higher on the straights. Way too dangerous for the drivers and the fans and probably dictated by the track insurance companies.

Out of all current forms of motor racing I prefer V8 Supercars and if they replace the out-of-production Falcon with the Mustang it will be even more interesting. I suppose there is also a chance they could switch to the Mondeo (Fusion) instead but most of the rumors seem to be leaning toward the Mustang.

Back to the restrictor plate issue, I thought the knock on restrictor plates was the cars were unresponsive at speed. Like you had to build momentum to get yourself out of a situation. True?

If so I often wondered why they didn't control top speed with axle ratios? Cars would be responsive within the limits as determined by final drive ratio and max RPM. As always fine balance then between finishing the race and oiling the track half way through the race.

Opinions??

And by the way, I guess I should softn my knock on Roush- two cars and while one wrecked in last big wreck, they were both there until that point-and the "6" car was in top ??5-10??

• Like 1

Back to the restrictor plate issue, I thought the knock on restrictor plates was the cars were unresponsive at speed. Like you had to build momentum to get yourself out of a situation. True?

If so I often wondered why they didn't control top speed with axle ratios? Cars would be responsive within the limits as determined by final drive ratio and max RPM. As always fine balance then between finishing the race and oiling the track half way through the race.

Opinions??

And by the way, I guess I should softn my knock on Roush- two cars and while one wrecked in last big wreck, they were both there until that point-and the "6" car was in top ??5-10??

None of the Roush cars lead a lap, did they?

she's been in top tier equipment her whole career and has one win across how many series to show for it.

It's not just having good equipment although that is a prerequisite. It's having the best equipment AND having a crew chief who knows how to set it up AND having a driver who can work with the crew chief and having a driver who doesn't make mistakes.

Take the top 10 drivers and swap cars and the best cars will be up front regardless of the driver. A great driver can't win with a so-so car but a so-so driver can win with a great car.

A great driver can't win with a so-so car but a so-so driver can win with a great car.

Read about Mario at Daytona in '67, Senna in the McLaren MP4/8, Schumacher in the Benetton B192. There is truth on both sides of your statement, but the "greatest" drivers can shine through . . . .

Read about Mario at Daytona in '67, Senna in the McLaren MP4/8, Schumacher in the Benetton B192. There is truth on both sides of your statement, but the "greatest" drivers can shine through . . . .

Oh that was definitely true prior to the last 20+ years or so. And to be clear I'm only talking about NASCAR and only the last 10-15 years. Look at the qualifying times. In the 80s there would be several seconds difference between first and last qualifiers. Today it's only a few tenths and the cars are much easier to drive. Miss the setup just a little and you're toast. Leave a few HP on the table with the engine and you're toast. A so-do driver in a great car will eat your lunch if they don't make a mistake. That's the difference in today versus 30 years ago.

Edited by akirby

Restrictor plate racing is not always about who has the best car or driver. There are too many variables that cannot be accounted for. Just the fact that they are forced to run in these huge packs makes the outcome extremely unpredictable. Look at how many times a driver who would typically have little chance elsewhere has won races at Daytona or Talladega. David Ragan, Trevor Bayne, hell, even Dale Jr could fall into that category.

There are other ways to control top speed besides restrictor plates. They could reduce the engine displacement which would make the engines more responsive and the cars less dependent on aero and each other. Even better, they could reconfigure those tracks by reducing the banking or the length of the straightaways or they could add chicanes or run part of the race on an infield road course similar to the Rolex 24.

Unfortunately, anything they would do to change the way they race would break up the big packs and also reduce the likelihood of wrecks and then they would loose more than half of their audience. There is a reason why Daytona and Talladega get the most media and, therefore, fan attention and it's not because it is the best form of racing. It's become gladiators on wheels, not racing.

Oh that was definitely true prior to the last 20+ years or so. And to be clear I'm only talking about NASCAR and only the last 10-15 years. Look at the qualifying times. In the 80s there would be several seconds difference between first and last qualifiers. Today it's only a few tenths and the cars are much easier to drive. Miss the setup just a little and you're toast. Leave a few HP on the table with the engine and you're toast. A so-do driver in a great car will eat your lunch if they don't make a mistake. That's the difference in today versus 30 years ago.

Gotcha! :thumbsup: