'19 Ranger Spied Testing

Why do you say that? Would it be more efficient to build one truck with unique styling and equipment for different markets rather than two completely different trucks the way GM and Toyota do it? Although I have read that the Holden Colorado shares it's roof and door panels with the Chevy version but not much else.

I still think we'll just get an all new model that will also replace the ROW model.

Why do you say that? Would it be more efficient to build one truck with unique styling and equipment for different markets rather than two completely different trucks the way GM and Toyota do it? Although I have read that the Holden Colorado shares it's roof and door panels with the Chevy version but not much else.

I still think we'll just get an all new model that will also replace the ROW model.

I still think we'll just get an all new model that will also replace the ROW model ... eventually

afaik there will be 3 (THREE) Ranger factories globally with MAP.

I wouldn't expect/suggest that Ford break the budget to switch them All simultaneously

&

- the RotW has been On-Schedule for an MCE = can wait

- the market that doesn't have one at all gets the new one first

QED-imho

I still think we'll just get an all new model that will also replace the ROW model ... eventually

I wouldn't expect/suggest that Ford break the budget to switch them All simultaneously

&

QED-imho

Yeah, that could be true too.

&

QED-imho

4 factories.

Ranger is currently made in Thailand, South Africa, Argentina. And soon it will be in MAP.

• Like 1

&

QED-imho

I think something similar to that has already happened with the T6 Ranger. When it first went on sale in Mexico the T6 still had the original frontend styling while other markets had already received the current trapezoidal grill. I think it may also have been limited on engine choices. I assume trucks for the Mexican market are built in Argentina so there may have been a delay at that plant or there may have been a capacity issue wherever those parts are sourced.

• Like 1

According to this site http://focus2move.com/world-best-selling-pick-up/ global 2016 Ranger sales were 222,553

Thanks for the link.

I copied out the data for the top 10 places.(site is copy-paste protected)

WORLD BEST SELLING PICK UP. TOP 50 IN THE 2016

LINK to focus2move.com

RANKINGS

Following the decision of car makers to sell similar/same models with different nameplates around the

world, all global sales reported are aggregates for those nameplates, we do not assemble data. ......

TOP 10 BEST SELLING NAMEPLATES

1..........Ford F Series...................986,773 (920,333) +7.2%

2..........Chevrolet Silverdo............651,291 (670,993) -2.9%

3..........Ram Pick Up....................573,402 (543,397) +5.5%

4..........Toyota Hilux....................533,419 (597,611) -10.7%

5..........GMC Pick Up....................289,145 (289,911) -0.3%

6..........Ford Ranger.....................222,533 (213.307) +4.3%

7..........Isuzu D-Max....................221,377 (275,455) -19.5%

8..........Toyota Tacoma................213,245 (200,369) +6.4%

9..........Chevrolet Colorado...........132,483 (107,872) +22.8%

10........Toyota Tundra..................128,083 (131,484) -4.6%

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

What other countries is the Holden Colorado sold in besides Australia and what other countries besides the US and Canada is the Chevy Colorado sold in? Are there any countries where the Holden is sold as a Chevy or vice versa? Regardless of the answer 22k for the Holden seems pretty pathetic. Even if you combine both Colorados with the Canyon, GM still didn't sell as many midsize trucks worldwide as the Ranger and it isn't even sold in the US and Canada yet. My prediction is that once the Ranger goes on sale here it will come close to doubling the total worldwide GM midsize sales numbers.

• Like 1

That's what I've been saying about Colorado on the past, globally it's a huge fizzer compared to the Ranger (222K)

but both of those are dwarfed by Toyota Hilux with 533K sales last year.

What we're noticing with Ranger sales is the popularity of crew cabs and even though a decent volume of single cabs

are sold as work trucks, it looks like buyers are attracted to the better equipped Super cabs and Crew cabs.

With the right engine and trans combinations in Nth America, we could see sales of ranger equaling the combined

totals of Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon.....

Edited by jpd80

I assume you mean in the US only as the Ranger already outsells both GM trucks globally.

Of course...Ranger is already miles ahead of Colorado in ROW.

Edit,

I'm just visualizing the Nth American Ranger with appropriate engines, trim and styling packages,

part of me wants to see Ford gun down the others with just one gas engine, my head says 2.3 EB

but my heart says the 2.7 EB and the 3.0 V6 Powerstroke for good measure.

Edited by jpd80

Any possibility the Ranger will be aluminum (I hope)? or maybe discussed already!

I think a lot of us would like to see that but the cost of updating three international plants along with MAP might be prohibitive. I would be happy if just the North American version got aluminum bodies but that might sound a little greedy. ;)

I don't think MOW would get aluminum even if they did it for NA. I think we'll get unique styling anyway. The bigger question is whether there would be enough volume in NA to justify it. 100K potential Ranger sales vs. 900K F-series is a big difference. And the weight savings would be smaller.

Honestly, I would expect the Ranger to be Al. If it's not, then it's going to bump up against the F150 in weight, and likely won't see that much in MPG increases over the F150. We've heard rumors of the new Ranger starting here in the US then filtering to the rest of the world, so maybe part of that is to transition to Al?

• Like 2

Of course...Ranger is already miles ahead of Colorado in ROW.

Edit,

I'm just visualizing the Nth American Ranger with appropriate engines, trim and styling packages,

part of me wants to see Ford gun down the others with just one gas engine, my head says 2.3 EB

but my heart says the 2.7 EB and the 3.0 V6 Powerstroke for good measure.

I agree. If Ford can justify the 2.7EB in the Edge surely they can put it in the heavier Ranger.

I want to be able to tow at least 7k and I don't think a 2.3EB would handle that very well and I'm not interested in a diesel or a full-size.

Speaking of diesels I would be surprised if the NA Ranger gets anything better than the 3.2L I5.

What other countries is the Holden Colorado sold in besides Australia and what other countries besides the US and Canada is the Chevy Colorado sold in? Are there any countries where the Holden is sold as a Chevy or vice versa? Regardless of the answer 22k for the Holden seems pretty pathetic. Even if you combine both Colorados with the Canyon, GM still didn't sell as many midsize trucks worldwide as the Ranger and it isn't even sold in the US and Canada yet. My prediction is that once the Ranger goes on sale here it will come close to doubling the total worldwide GM midsize sales numbers.

Holden Colordao is only sold in Australia and New Zealand, plus couple of islands in the Pacific.

Chevy Colorado is sold in Southeast Asia, India, Middle East, Africa, and South America. Ford is a much bigger selling brand in all those markets other than Brazil and Argentina in South America.

A different Chevy Colorado is sold in North America, obviously.

Holden Colordao is only sold in Australia and New Zealand, plus couple of islands in the Pacific.

Chevy Colorado is sold in Southeast Asia, India, Middle East, Africa, and South America. Ford is a much bigger selling brand in all those markets other than Brazil and Argentina in South America.

A different Chevy Colorado is sold in North America, obviously.

Just curious but is the ROW Chevy that is sold in places other than AU and NZ the same as the Holden version? Are the sales totals included with the NA Chevy or the Holden? I assume with the NA Chevy since US and Canadian sales totaled about 115k for 2016 which would leave about 17k for the ROW.

Just curious but is the ROW Chevy that is sold in places other than AU and NZ the same as the Holden version? Are the sales totals included with the NA Chevy or the Holden? I assume with the NA Chevy since US and Canadian sales totaled about 115k for 2016 which would leave about 17k for the ROW.

Holden vs. Chevy Colorado is just a straight up rebadge. Both are also rebadges of Isuzu D-Max, although the GM version has different engine choices and slightly different interior. And not all the markets use the Colorado name. The same truck is actually called Chevy S-10 or Chevy D-Max (not Isuzu D-Max) in some markets. So I wouldn't take the sale statistic posted in this thread seriously.

GM probably sells more Colorado/S-10 than we'd like to acknowledge. And also knowing that GM is basically using an Isuzu truck with GM drivetrain means that it is a very different business model than Ford's case with Ranger.

Original Isuzu D-Max

1024px-2012_Isuzu_D-Max_%28MY12%29_SX_4x

Holdern Colorado (Australia & NZ)

1024px-2014_Holden_Colorado_LT_%28159853

Chevy Colorado (Asia, Middle East, Africa)

1024px-Coloradojf1545.JPG

Chevy S-10 (Brazil)

1024px-Chevrolet_S-10_LS_Crew_Cab_2013_%

Chevy D-Max (Chile)

1024px-Chevrolet_Dmax_2.5_TD_High_4x4_20

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Holden vs. Chevy Colorado is just a straight up rebadge. Both are also rebadges of Isuzu D-Max, although the GM version has different engine choices and slightly different interior. And the truck is actually called Chevy S-10 in parts of South America. So I wouldn't take the sale statistic posted in this thread as gospel.

GM probably sells more Colorado/S-10 than we'd like to acknowledge. And also knowing that GM is basically using an Isuzu truck with GM drivetrain means that it is a very different business model than Ford's case with Ranger.

It also makes it a lot harder for them to respond to anything Ford does with the Ranger.