'19 Ranger Spied Testing

post-22574-0-52268700-1487180301_thumb.jpg

Hey, it can still be BOF, anyone here remember the early 60's F Series "Unibody" pickups? They used a conventional frame, but cab and bed were integrated.

I have never seen one in person that I can recall but it must not have worked all that well as it was only available from '61-'63...

Although I suppose any large BOF SUV (Expedition, Suburban, Avalanche, etc.) could be considered in the same category.

I seriously doubt Ford would do this with the Ranger. They do sell chassis cab versions in other markets. In other words, the current Ranger can be had without a bed and you can add your own stake bed, etc. That would not be so easy with a unibody design.

Hey, Bob...wanna have some fun? Where's that extra camo tape...

Which shows how easy it would be to cover that area with camo tape and make it look like one panel.

T6 is continuing and evolving to include Nth American needs.

You joke, but that's probably all this is. Camo is often a decal that is stuck to the side of the vehicle.

That appears to be a frame rail, not a unibody pinch weld.

You guys are making me feel better already. Guess I'll stop beating the wife! :)

That appears to be a frame rail, not a unibody pinch weld.

Actually, I think it is a pinch weld where the inner and outer rocker panels meet. Look at this photo of a chassis cab model without the standard bed. That pinch weld extends past the gap between the cab and a standard bed, if there were a bed. The bed apparently wraps around the outside of the cab, if that makes any sense. Odd. But it is obviously still BOF.

post-22574-0-92344500-1487195096_thumb.jpg

Edited by blksn8k2

Actually, I think it is a pinch weld where the inner and outer rocker panels meet. Look at this photo of a chassis cab model without the standard bed. That pinch weld extends past the gap between the cab and a standard bed, if there were a bed. The bed apparently wraps around the outside of the cab, if that makes any sense. Odd. But it is obviously still BOF.

This seems to be the best explanation. I believe it was the '97 F150 where Ford introduced that bed wraparound so that you couldn't see daylight through the bed/cab gap anymore.

• Like 2

I think there are things to be learned from looking at the current model since Ford has already said that the Ranger we are getting will be based on the T6 platform. For instance, there should be little question that it is and will continue to be BOF.

I would also be surprised if there were any major changes to the chassis layout. I honestly doubt we will see a solid front axle, especially on the Ranger and probably not on the Bronco either. The fact that Dana is supplying the axles and differentials does not mean they will be solid on both front and rear. Again, look to the current T6. It is generally regarded as a better than average off-road performer even with IFS.

The body is potentially a different story. I doubt it will be a major change in size from the current T6 Ranger but I am hoping it gets more of an update than just a different grill and an "Americanized" interior. I realize this could be considered an "entry level" truck by some but I hope Ford learned something from the last North American Ranger and acknowledges that stagnant styling and engineering also contributed to stagnant sales. The styling of the current ROW Ranger is getting a little long in the tooth even if it hasn't been available here.

This is also one case where they could learn something from GM's approach to their midsize twins. Smaller trucks don't have to be boring and they can actually generate decent profits.

I think there are things to be learned from looking at the current model since Ford has already said that the Ranger we are getting will be based on the T6 platform. For instance, there should be little question that it is and will continue to be BOF.

I would also be surprised if there were any major changes to the chassis layout. I honestly doubt we will see a solid front axle, especially on the Ranger and probably not on the Bronco either. The fact that Dana is supplying the axles and differentials does not mean they will be solid on both front and rear. Again, look to the current T6. It is generally regarded as a better than average off-road performer even with IFS.

The body is potentially a different story. I doubt it will be a major change in size from the current T6 Ranger but I am hoping it gets more of an update than just a different grill and an "Americanized" interior. I realize this could be considered an "entry level" truck by some but I hope Ford learned something from the last North American Ranger and acknowledges that stagnant styling and engineering also contributed to stagnant sales. The styling of the current ROW Ranger is getting a little long in the tooth even if it hasn't been available here.

This is also one case where they could learn something from GM's approach to their midsize twins. Smaller trucks don't have to be boring and they can actually generate decent profits.

I agree that the Ranger will be IFS whether it's 4x2 or 4x4. But I believe that the Bronco will be 4x4 only and will have a SFA, despite being T6 based. The Expedition is based on the F150, yet it has IRS versus using the F150's SRA and has a totally different frame. I also believe the Bronco will have a multilink, coil sprung SRA as well versus the Ranger's leaf sprung SRA. The Bronco is going to be an expensive competitor to the Jeep Wrangler, I don't see them cheapening out by making it a 2 door Ranger wagon like they did when the made the Bronco II.

Edited by NLPRacing

Wow that would be huge. If that's true maybe it's launching sooner than anyone I've talked to even thinks.

My best contact left there isn't on the project directly, but he's in a place to know. We're less than 2 years from debut, and probably less than 1 year from a "concept" version. I was told the first mules would be out this summer.

As it was described to me: This is a segment they aren't currently in, so they don't have to worry about killing short term sales by dripping info out on this one. Their goal is to keep buzz alive, and maybe stop a few Wrangler and 4Runner sales along the way.

• Like 2