Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Continental • Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The 551 is Rollin in the Dough (dues)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Decker

Decker

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Joined 05-September 11
  • Current Vehicle:Fucus

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:50 AM

You and I Over Spend All Our Dues by $125,406.33 in One Month

Members of the 551, let me shed some light on our overspending.

It`s been asked, what ever happened to having our Financial Secretary report to the plant, one day a week? The reply I got from our Financial Secretary was, I had a problem with a member of management and got an R&W. It was then explained how the Financial Secretary went to Labor Relations and made arrangements to not have to report to the plant at all. After hearing this I asked, was our by-laws changed? The Financial Secretary said, “No”.

In a discussion with both the President and Financial Sec., I pointed out that they both are paying lost time that isn`t in the by-laws. The Financial Sec. and President both agreed that these payments were not right. Their reasoning behind doing what they both admitted as wrong, was “we just couldn’t get any changes made to the by-laws”. My next question, with both of you knowing and admitting these payments to the Financial Secretary are in conflict with the by-laws, (wrong) why are you still making out the checks while admitting it is wrong? Their response was, we tried to make changes but, we didn`t think it would be an issue.    

Both the Financial Secretary and the Recording Secretary are being paid lost time that is not in our by-laws. I made my point very clear that these payments of lost time are not in our by-laws so legally these payments cannot be paid to either officer. Then in the same discussion I was told our Vice President gave direction and instructions to the Financial Sec. to categorize certain payments of lost time as “wages” when a member doesn’t lose any pay from Ford Motor Company. (Our Financial Sec. stating that is the way Scott trained me to categorize those types of checks) I asked the Financial Sec. and the President would you show me where this is in the by-laws, both said it`s not there. But they continue to make out these admittedly wrong checks.

I asked to go over the locals financial records and was denied. The Financial Sec. stated “you are just a rank & file member, so you will never see those records”. The Vice President stated “if you see the records then what?”... “Then other members would want to see the records?”... “You cannot see the records”. The President stated “you sent your request out to, too many people, so no you can`t see the records”.

The membership has the authority to correct our overspending and stop these admitted wrongful lost time checks. By attending the next membership meeting (Sunday Feb. 19 at 1:45pm) we can put a motion on the floor to view the financial records, I will offer to produce a very detailed report both in print and explain verbally at a membership meeting the findings of this viewing of the financial records.

For those members unaware of the totals, the 551 received from its members just over $266,000.00 in December. The 551 spent just over $391,000.00 in the same month.

“Decker”

Decker

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Decker

Decker

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Joined 05-September 11

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

I`ve got many verbal responses from my post. I`ve got some written responses from different agencies. Now I hold the most respected responses from with in our own union. 

Members of the 551 are way to complacent for many reasons. To distant from their union`s official business for many reasons. This leads to members of the financial branch of the 551 to believe they have been given the authority do as the please. Recording Secretary`s sign vouchers along with members, this gesture is stating the lost time is correct and per the by-laws. The Financial Secretary draws the lost time funds out of the general fund, then produces a check with his signature, this gesture is stating that the funds are correct and per the by-laws. The President and at times Vice President sign the lost time checks in a position above the Financial Secretary`s signature, as a sign of authority.

I`ve been reassured  many time in different classes that I`ve attended that these signatures hold great responsibilities. In the event of any errors, the accountability fall`s squarely on the shoulders of the signature owners. The fines imposed by the D.O.L. in other investigations on these types of lost time infractions`s, misappropriation and fraud are based on the signatures.

There will be even more fall out from these inappropriate checks, not only the possible fines and the repayments of all funds paid that are not listed in the by-laws to elected officials but any member excepting funds that are not listed in the by-laws will also be made to return the money also.

Our Financial Branch has major financial issues.

Decker

#3 OFFLINE   Decker

Decker

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Joined 05-September 11

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

I want to share this response with other members of the 551,

Sent 09 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

Hi Decker, I read your post and was struck by the similarities we had in our Local a number of years ago.

We are a much smaller Amalgamated Local so the numbers were not as large but the underlying issue was the same...fraud.

I was a rank and file back when this happened to us. In early 2010 we were audited by the state DOL and were found to be in non-compliance and fined since there were monthly payments (Officer Expenses) to certain Officers that were different (more) than what our by-laws stated. The President, in an effort to correct this, tried to change the by-laws retroactively and I lead the charge to defeat this change and bring it to the attention of the membership. I did so in a meeting where I publicly called out the President and Financial Secretary for not only doing this (paying more), but continuing the practice even after it was discovered by the DOL. I demanded both of their resignations because of this and because they were also signing blank checks (also discovered by the DOL). They refused but within a week the Financial Secretary resigned (for personal reasons lol).

Since there was a vacancy, I ran for F. Sec. I won by acclamation and contacted the Region for assistance. After a long audit with the help of International, we uncovered that the F.Sec. was overpaid by $3000 and the previous F. Sec. was overpaid by about $2000. When I filled out the LM, I specifically answered yes to the box that asked if the Local "discover any loss or shortage of funds or other property" I informed the President that I was going to do this and he had no choice but to sign the LM. This generated a call from the state DOL specifically asking about this and whether the funds were being recovered. Yes, they were.

After the President's term expired the next year, I ran for President and won by acclamation in 2011.

We also, about 10 years ago, used to have a F. Sec. that would not release the financial statements to the members. She would only read the income and expense totals for the month. If your Local uses Roberts (RCS), which I assume they do, it should be easy to show you the report. You just type in the month and boom, a full accounting is generated. I believe it to be your right to view these reports. In my meetings since 2010, a full report is released to the members for viewing. Transparency is a MUST!

On the issue of income vs. expense...sometimes in my Local we show more expenses than income but usually it is because we are awaiting reimbursement from International or because a few of my units may be behind in their respective company's getting their dues to us. All easy to explain, but nothing like the discrepancy you are seeing.

It sounds as though your Local is setting itself up for some pretty hefty fines from the DOL if they are audited. All expenses are to be approved by the membership not specifically mentioned in the by-laws. Every time a check or payment is made through RCS, it generates a voucher for the President and Recording Secretary to sign. These vouchers MUST be aligned with membership action at a Union meeting.

If I were you, and you were serious about taking on this fight, I would contact you Regional Rep. and the UAW Auditing Department. That's what I did.

I wish you the best of luck. With all the negativity surrounding Union's these days I believe that any appearance of fraud, misdoings, or dishonesty should be stomped out immediately. It only gives our enemies more ammo.

In Solidarity,

Decker

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·