MK3 Rear Brakes....anyone else going through brakes REALLY fast?

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Never touched the drums on my wife's 2010 Escape with 157K..partly because I didn't want to mess with them sInce I've only really worked with disc brakes.

Mine have the hub built into the drum which is intimidating me a little bit. It's something I intend to address when the weather warms up in the next month or two.

Mine have the hub built into the drum which is intimidating me a little bit. It's something I intend to address when the weather warms up in the next month or two.

On older focus you can remove the 4 bolts on the back of the backing plate. That will remove the hub assembly and drum together. Makes it easy. Don't have to deal with dust cap and nut. Becareful of abs sensor if equipped. Remove the one 8mm bolt holding the sensor in place, set sensor aside.

Edited by fordtech1

No because you are just removing the hub and drum together. You aren't messing with dust cap and nut. What year is your focus?

2008. I was planning to replace the entire hub/drum assembly. And the cylinder if I can muster up the courage to attempt to bleed the system. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

2008. I was planning to replace the entire hub/drum assembly. And the cylinder if I can muster up the courage to attempt to bleed the system.

If you are changing drum/bearing anyway. Then yes get a new hub nut and dust cap if you can't get it off undamaged. Changing the wheel cylinder is a piece of cake. Most iffy part is getting the line loose. Bleeding is easy. Don't let it run dry. Then you just have to bleed the rears.

That's the thing, I've never dealt with bleeding before and I'm still unsure on how to do it. I'm debating skipping the cylinders and just dealing with the squeaking for however longer I have the car. It's already been going on for 5 years, what's another 2?

Here is what I would do. Pull the drums. Inspect the shoes and drums. If ok. Take some caliper slide grease and apply it to any contact points where the metal of the shoes hit the backing plate and wheel cylinders. Sand the inside of the drums to get rid of glazing. In order not to have to remove the hub nut and dust cap, pull those 4 bolts out the back and pull the drum and hub assembly off.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I would do. Pull the drums. Inspect the shoes and drums. If ok. Take some caliper slide grease and apply it to any contact points where the metal of the shoes hit the backing plate and wheel cylinders. Sand the inside of the drums to get rid of glazing. In order not to have to remove the hub nut and dust cap, pull those 4 bolts out the back and pull the drum and hub assembly off.

yeah, nope. needs complete replacement. I already have the parts, the one question I have is do I need to replace the spindle nut or can I reuse it?