5 New SUVs/Crossovers in North America.

Today at the Expedition event, Hinrichs once again said that Ford has five more SUVs/Crossovers coming over the next few years. Two of them have been confirmed, the Bronco and the Electric CUV (Model E, or the platform-mate of the Model E?). What else could these things be? What segments could they cover? For now I'm assuming that they are not including Lincoln in this count of five.

Option 1: I do have a concept that the Flex could be replaced with a long-wheelbase Explorer (similar to a Tahoe v Suburban or Expedition v Expedition Max), giving more room in the third row or more cargo space. It could share interiors, engines, tailgate and front doors, but have a unique front end...they could even called it an Explorer Flex to capture loyal Flex buyers.

Option 2 : Ford has a habit of calling performance or specialized models as unique nameplates, such as the Raptor, Focus ST, Fusion Energi, etc. I wonder if the next generation Escape will get a Hybrid/PHEV version, sharing powertrains with the next generation Fusion's Hybrid/PHEV. I also wonder if the Bronco will get a performance version, like the Raptor.

Option 3: Since a lot of the growth will come from the bottom end of the market, I wonder if the current/next gen EcoSport (I REALLY wish they had changed the name for North America) would be paired with a "funkier/sportier" model. Nissan has the upcoming Rogue Sport to cover the "B-CUV segment" on the conservative end, and the Juke to cover the "Sporty/Funky/Unique" end. Could Ford do the same? I bet this kind of model would do well in Europe, as Citroen and other carmakers have had great success.

Any other ideas out there?

Ecosport, Aviator, Bronco, Model E for sure.

For the 5th one - Everest? Assuming it's new (as in not currently in production in NA) nameplates and just refreshes like Explorer, Expy and Navi.

Do we know for sure they're counting Aviator as one of them? I was under the impression that it was for the Ford brand and Lincolns counted separately.

Still have the idea that the Everest might still showup here. Smaller truck based offroad & tow vehicle that can still hold a family aimed at the Grand Cherokee/4 Runner. Those buyers also wouldn't be interested in a 2 or 4 door Bronco and those buyers are not looking at anything in the Ford stable currently; if you have the vehicle developed, space at a plant and a market why not launch it, even if its 30K-40K in sales it is still good profitable sales. Another possibility is when the next Explorer is launched it is slightly longer allowing the 3 row Edge to show up.

Edited by jasonj80

Ecosport, Aviator, Bronco, Model E for sure.

For the 5th one - Everest? Assuming it's new (as in not currently in production in NA) nameplates and just refreshes like Explorer, Expy and Navi.

I don't think Aviator counts, as it's a Lincoln. In his presentation, he also said 2 have yet to be shown/named. Technically that was said before they drove out the Expedition, so whether that counts as one of the remaining 2, I don't know.

He specifically mentioned EcoSport, Model E, and Bronco. And obviously Expedition. I would assume that would be counted as the 4th of 5?

Again. These will be new nameplates, and the usuallyvreliable Automotive News implies that the other two new SUVs/CUVs coming to the Ford brand will be on the small side.

Well, in that case, EcoSport, Model E, Bronco, ?#1, ?#2.

What else small could they do? Split Escape into short and long (that'd be one)? What else?

According to Automotive News:

Ford Motor Co. plans to expand its lineup of SUVs and crossover vehicles in the U.S. to 13 models from seven by 2020, according to company officials and supplier sources, in response to rapid growth in SUV sales. At least three of those future models have been approved for production in the past two years, sources said. Ford Division, which makes the company's Ford-branded cars, said its current four-model SUV lineup, which includes the Escape, the Edge and the Explorer, will be joined over the next three years by the compact EcoSport, which will be imported from India in early 2018; the mid-size Bronco, which goes into production in late 2019 in Wayne, Mich., and a battery-powered compact crossover with a 300-mile range that begins production in Flat Rock, Mich., in 2019.

Ford Division officials did not disclose details on two other unidentified models. Supplier sources said thos e vehicles likely are new compact models, where consumer demand is greatest. One is based on the next-generation Focus small car, the sources said, while the other could be based on the next-generation of the subcompact Fiesta.

Full article: http://www.autonews.com/article/20170207/OEM04/170209850/1221

Could the new models be version of those jacked up wagon thingies* that Ford have shown in Europe (the Fiesta, I believe).

*Industry term

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

From Ford's media release "Ford revealed four distinctive production variants of the Fiesta, including the stylish Fiesta Titanium, the Ford Performance-inspired Fiesta ST-Line, the upscale Fiesta Vignale and the Fiesta Active crossover."

Edited by MKII