Ford to show all-new vehicle tomorrow. New Expedition?

It's usually completely logical but doesn't always take into account the real world. E.g. that door may look like it's easily installed on paper/in the CAD system but in the real world it just doesn't work.

The other experience I've had on the software side is that they don't want to compromise their designs to meet business goals. E.g. give me something that works for 90% of the use cases delivered in 3 months instead of 12 months for 1/3 the cost.

my experience goes beyond the nonsense I see on the assembly line. I remember stories my Dad used to tell me back in the days he worked on instrument panels and some of the utter BS the engineers wanted him to do (he is a designer). Even now I still hear about it. I have a cousin that worked on D544 (Continental) and he even told me that some of the crap I saw during the retooling at FRAP was child's play compared to what went on in body CAD.

On the other side I have seen instances where no matter how engineers try to solve a problem using their special brand of textbook logic or math, a simple part fixes their problem by someone with 1/3 of the education (my dad).

It's usually completely logical but doesn't always take into account the real world. E.g. that door may look like it's easily installed on paper/in the CAD system but in the real world it just doesn't work.

The other experience I've had on the software side is that they don't want to compromise their designs to meet business goals. E.g. give me something that works for 90% of the use cases delivered in 3 months instead of 12 months for 1/3 the cost.

Engineers get pulled in a lot of directions. Lots of constraints that appear simplistic until you actually have to make shit work. Engineers are practical but not perfect, experience is important.

"E.g. give me something that works for 90% of the use cases delivered in 3 months instead of 12 months for 1/3 the cost."

All hell would break loose If I delivered this. Those 10% missing use cases would turn out to be the most important parts. Doesnt matter which ones they are.

Engineers get pulled in a lot of directions. Lots of constraints that appear simplistic until you actually have to make shit work. Engineers are practical but not perfect, experience is important.

"E.g. give me something that works for 90% of the use cases delivered in 3 months instead of 12 months for 1/3 the cost."

All hell would break loose If I delivered this. Those 10% missing use cases would turn out to be the most important parts. Doesnt matter which ones they are.

I hear you and I should have been more clear - the 90% is coming from the client who says having 90% in 3 months is far better for me than waiting 12 months for 100%. Or the engineer at least giving the client the option.

What most people don't realize are all the tradeoffs that an engineer has to consider - many of which the average consumer doesn't know or care about. I know I've done things with software that at first glance makes no sense whatsoever until you sit down and go through the 10 or 12 seemingly unrelated things that together dictated the final solution.

• Like 1