2019 Silverado spied

rmc523

@NLPRacing has mentioned in the past that GM has a pretty cool step coming. NLP, have you seen it in person? Maybe part of a focus group? What are your thoughts?

That is exactly what I saw. It was a focus group and they showed us this and a lot of other stuff like interiors, trailer towing accessories, etc. It was actually pretty cool and worked well as a step, but was a little heavy. There was also a questionnaire about powertrains where they listed a Turbo 2.7L I-4 and a Diesel 3.0L V6.

• Like 1

If you haul any kind of dirt or rock, I see it sticking in that crack of the extra tail gate. Not as clean as Ford's design.

Amen- from a maintenance or longevity perspective- too complicated vs. Ford design. To say nothing of the first cost-has to be far more expensive than the Ford design-at least as far as my understanding of the Ford system-have never used one.

As an additional piece of news......Chevy will be adding another feature they made fun of Ford for having (first aluminum) and now a tailgate step.....it appears to basically be a tailgate within a tailgate within a tailgate.....or tailgateception.

2017-02-02+%281%29.jpg

2017-02-02+%282%29.jpg

Wait until Howie Long uses it in a commercial!!! :hysterical:

Also, is that diagram a prelude to the rear of the new Truck? It has square wheel wells...

Edited by danglin

As an additional piece of news......Chevy will be adding another feature they made fun of Ford for having (first aluminum) and now a tailgate step.....it appears to basically be a tailgate within a tailgate within a tailgate.....or tailgateception.

2017-02-02+%281%29.jpg

2017-02-02+%282%29.jpg

How often do you think these will get destroyed by a tow hitch?

I would think GM thought about that and a standard hitch would not interfere but I could be wrong.

What's a standard hitch though? I've seen all sorts of different tongue lengths and sizes. Yeah, at some point it's "user error". Doesn't mean we won't see a lot of these with dings and dents.

The Chevy step looks convoluted and unnecessarily complex. I don't like the idea of putting part of your tailgate further down in harms way. I guess we will have to wait and see its execution for final judgment.

I will say I absolutely love the step on my F150. It was a great innovation that is very useful.

And the strangest thing is that I didn't even know it had that feature until I saw it in a Chevy ad and thought that was a great idea! Then the next Chevy ad in that superbowl showed the Dodge with a heated steering wheel and then I was convinced that Chevy's ad agency must have been pissed about a late payment from GM that they were pointing out all the great things the Chevy couldn't do.

Howie Long and GM in 2008 demonstrating the 2009 F-150 side-step: In an hour long infomercial with Gary White on the 2008 Silverado vs the 2009 F-150, Howie Long says, "That's what I call the man step. It doesn't fix the problem. It's like a jump shot to get in there. (Then discusses how the Silverado cargo bed is a lot shallower and doesn't need a step.)"

GM in 2009: runs Ford man step ad.....you left your little "man step" down.

Ford's response from Ford truck marketing manager Doug Scott:

I hope they keep running the spot because they're doing a great job advertising that feature for us.Thirty-two percent of the 2009 F-150s we've sold have that tailgate step. We're doing really well with it, and we're really happy they're running that ad because it's proven to be a popular feature."

GM in 2013: raises bed rail height on the 2014 Silverado to match F-150 bed cargo capacity, and adds steps to bumper.

GM in 2015: Adds the articulating side "man step" to running boards of the 2016 Silverado.

"One of the great technologies designed to make the customer's life a little bit easier."

GM in 2018: Adds full blown man step to tailgate.

smh.

Edited by Bryan1
  • Like 2