2018 ford expedition reveal

Dlcorbett

if im not mistaken, the land cruiser was the first suv to be marketed as a luxury sux, the lexus lx 450 also came out in 1996 in fact. the mercedes though smaller also came out with its 3rd row ml450 in 97 as well, the navi did expand the market, gm exploited it best. its crazy that though the full size market isnt very big, its customers actually want the least luxury vehicle, just what looks good.

Actually the navigator came in 97 as a 98 model. Cadillac said oh crap, so they came out in 99 with a Tahoe with thick carpet and a crest. Then when the redesign happened and Cadillac went to 90s stealth fighter looking corners, hip hop everywhere rejoyced and it took off. I really liked the Navi until 07. I just couldn't get that instrument cluster and dated interior. The 15 doesn't do much for me either but it's better. Just need to make it stand out design wise.

I guess you could say the Navi created the domestic luxury SUV craze.

Edited by fordtech1

yea the 03 to 06 navis were absolutely gorgeous and the 05 and 06 my drove like dreams, i still think they drive better than the third gen (including my 09) and if it wasnt for the bluetooth, better mileage amd better reliability of the newer years, would've got one. ford shouldve done a better job refreshening the 15+ years, atleast interior wise but i guess all that money went to making them drive more modern, which they def did a good job on.

Aren't we forgetting the Wagoneer and Range Rovers as the original luxury SUVs?

The wagoneer doesn't make me think of luxury SUV. Ofcourse its prime was before I was driving. Range Rover as I know it only became really luxury as of the 90s. It's always been described as a very capable off road SUV. There again, definition of luxury varies. Still the navigator when was introduced, it and the escalade, created a whole different craze. Maybe it should be called the SUVs that created the "luxury SUV trend".

Even though Jeep and GM had something already. The explorer can not be denied the crown of the SUV craze starter. To some extent the Eddie Bauer and limited editions started a luxury SUV theme also.

I hope the new expedition and navigator can do what they did when they came out in 97+98. They really sold and compared to the GMs it was much nicer experience to drive. However, GM twins have really captured the market. Just like ford has done with the F-series, GM has found a what the market wants and has delivered on large SUVs.

yea the 03 to 06 navis were absolutely gorgeous and the 05 and 06 my drove like dreams

I totally agree with you. I loved that bodystyle. They did a great job disguising it's roots, and it had a unique motor as well. The blacked out version was my favorite.

Then there was the 2007 model, and things went south. I could never really accept that version.

Edited by tbone

if im not mistaken, the land cruiser was the first suv to be marketed as a luxury sux, the lexus lx 450 also came out in 1996 in fact. the mercedes though smaller also came out with its 3rd row ml450 in 97 as well, the navi did expand the market, gm exploited it best. its crazy that though the full size market isnt very big, its customers actually want the least luxury vehicle, just what looks good.

93 Grand Cherokee Limited.

Looks like a big Explorer outside and an F-150 inside. Not totally turned off by it, but thought the styling would be more dramatic. Since it will be easy to compare it with the Explorer, it can't help highlight the shortcomings the current Explorer has, such as seating flexibility.

Edited by MKX1960