Chicago Auto Show Schedule

This was one of the main reason we got the refreshed model instead of an older sport. I'd suggest test driving one at night.

There is a huge difference in headlight quality between our Raptor and our Explorer. It's like night and day, no pun intended.

There is a huge difference in headlight quality between our Raptor and our Explorer. It's like night and day, no pun intended.

I ordered the LED's on my '17 Super Duty, even though I had to add a couple things I didn't really want or need just to be able to get them. They are amazing lights, and I can't wait to get it to really try them out!

I ordered the LED's on my '17 Super Duty, even though I had to add a couple things I didn't really want or need just to be able to get them. They are amazing lights, and I can't wait to get it to really try them out!

Yeah, I believe they're the same units as in my dad's Raptor (the LED light itself, not the entire housing - I know the headlight assembly is different, but I think the actual lights used are the same), and those are great headlights.

I'm just going by the differnce between the Halogens in the Raptor and the LED's in a buddy's '16 Explorer. The older halogens give better distance and more even light distribution at least for my eyes, maybe it is because of the height. The Explorer is super bright in front of the vehicle but is splotchy in pattern. Just because somehting has LED/HID doens't mean they have good distance or light pattern. The HID's in the Raptor gained in later model years are even better at night. The LED's in the new F-150 are great, though in the new Fusion are extreamly bright but have a sharp cutoff at a short distance. The lowbeam Headlights (HID or Not) in the Edge just suck. I will say this some of my headlights expierence with new Ford cars was in rental cars so they might not be aimed properly.

Speaking of Lighting most Euro Fords Fog lights function as turning lights as well, (turn on a turn signal, or turn the steering wheel and the right or left fog light comes on at below 5mph to aid in seeing near the front of the vehicle) any one know the reason why this isn't enabled on US cars and could it be if you can get into the programming module? I think the Transit Connect is the only Ford that has the option here. Seems an easy feature to add at no cost to cars that have Fog lights.

It's most likely illegal based on DOT regulations. I've heard they are contemplating changes to better align with Europe (and the 21st century). Current lighting regulations are silly.

I don't think so. Many BMW, Mercedes, and Audi vehicles have cornering lights either within the headlight assembly or in the fog light area.

I posted this in the Expedition thread, but I feel it also applies here....

I don't know if this is accurate, but this site is saying...

We received an email from Ford inviting us to the Dallas Cowboys’ training facility early next month. The reason? To witness the unveiling of “an all-new vehicle that is the very definition of adaptable, smart and capable,” said the invitation.

Hmmm… what could that be? These three adjectives could be applied to many vehicles, especially when at the hands of a trend-setting automaker’s marketing department. After pondering what Ford could have in store, we believe that when the massive cover comes off next month in Texas, we’ll be looking at the next-generation Ford Expedition. Sure, it’s just a guess. But it’s an educated guess. Here’s why:......

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ford-secret-texas-vehicle-reveal/

I've read this coming Tuesday is when this is supposed to take place.

---

If this is true, that would mean something else debuting at Chicago.....which could lend credibility to the reports of some sort of Explorer (whether another refresh or a full redesign) debuting at Chicago.

I posted this in the Expedition thread, but I feel it also applies here....

I don't know if this is accurate, but this site is saying...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ford-secret-texas-vehicle-reveal/

I've read this coming Tuesday is when this is supposed to take place.

---

If this is true, that would mean something else debuting at Chicago.....which could lend credibility to the reports of some sort of Explorer (whether another refresh or a full redesign) debuting at Chicago.

Expedition Tuesday, Explorer MCE at Chicago is the last I heard. CD6 still on track for MY2020 in mid CY2019.

What kind of changes could be expected for the Explorer for such a short run? I must say I would welcome some more cosmetic changes as I'm not a big fan of the current grill or wheels. While we are at it change the center stack as well to accommodate a bigger screen.

What kind of changes could be expected for the Explorer for such a short run? I must say I would welcome some more cosmetic changes as I'm not a big fan of the current grill or wheels. While we are at it change the center stack as well to accommodate a bigger screen.

I haven't heard specifics, my source likes it... expects the '18 Explorer and Expedition to be the center of a big push.

Well, there's two main camps of thought:

1) Another refresh - a nip an tuck to the front/rear/interior - to last until 2019 or so when a CD6 model would debut (in whatever form that platform takes)

2) A redesign based on CD4 - this would more or less represent a stopgap redesign for a few years before a CD6 model would replace it.

An outlier thought could be that we'll see CD6 debut with this Explorer, rather than the 2019 MKZ as has been thought.

---

A bigger screen would require a complete redesign.

Edited by rmc523

Well, there's two main camps of thought:

1) Another refresh - a nip an tuck to the front/rear/interior - to last until 2019 or so when a CD6 model would debut (in whatever form that platform takes)

2) A redesign based on CD4 - this would more or less represent a stopgap redesign for a few years before a CD6 model would replace it.

An outlier thought could be that we'll see CD6 debut with this Explorer, rather than the 2019 MKZ as has been thought.

---

A bigger screen would require a complete redesign.

I think it would almost have to be a MCE of the current platform - probably to align the styling with the new Expedition.