Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Continental • Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rolex 24 Update

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blksn8k2

blksn8k2

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Joined 22-March 06

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

#66 Ford GT leading GT Le Mans class.

Other three GTs running in 3rd, 4th and 6th in GTLM.

Ford GTs qualified 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 6th in class.

My current rides:
07 Sport Trac Limited 4x4 V8
99 Mustang Cobra (Roush Body Kit)
75 Bronco (393 Windsor, NV3550 5-speed)
70 Mustang Mach 1 (428 CJ, 4-speed)
68 Cougar (390 GT, C6)
67 Ranchero (460, C6, Pro Street)

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   bdegrand

bdegrand

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 433 posts
  • Joined 14-April 11
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKZ, 2015 Explorer

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

#66 Still leading in GT Lemans class.....as of this hour!

#3 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,328 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

What class are the "cadillacs" in?  What defines these classes?

#4 OFFLINE   Stray Kat

Stray Kat

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 28-July 03

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

The Caddy's are in the "prototype" class. As I understand it there are two types of prototypes. There are factory prototypes and there are global prototypes.

The global prototypes and the factory prototypes can choose from any one of four approved chassis manufacturers such as Dalarra or Multimatic.

The difference is the globals use a spec Gibson engine while the factory's use their manufacturer's engine and styling cues of said manufacturer.

Thus the Caddy uses an LS based power plant and Caddy front end cues while the Mazda uses a 2.0 turbo four and Mazda cues on the nose.

#5 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,328 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

The Caddy's are in the "prototype" class. As I understand it there are two types of prototypes. There are factory prototypes and there are global prototypes.

The global prototypes and the factory prototypes can choose from any one of four approved chassis manufacturers such as Dalarra or Multimatic.

The difference is the globals use a spec Gibson engine while the factory's use their manufacturer's engine and styling cues of said manufacturer.

Thus the Caddy uses an LS based power plant and Caddy front end cues while the Mazda uses a 2.0 turbo four and Mazda cues on the nose.

SK- Thx- In any case, nail biter- I was getting worried when the 66 started puffing smoke or fluid toward the end but seemed to get stronger.

• twintornados likes this

#6 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX Elite

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

Ford wins GTLM class!!!

http://sportscar365....-24-gtlm-crown/

Dagys_2016_16732.jpg

• NLPRacing and bdegrand like this
Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

#7 OFFLINE   bifs66

bifs66

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 260 posts
  • Joined 16-February 04

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

My son attended the Rolex 24 hr. race again this year; and called me numerous times throughout the race with updates of the action.   It was a very happy call when the Ford GT won the GTLM class.   Last year's 24hrs. was a disappointment; as well as the race at VIR where we both attended.  I may have to consider going with him to VIR this year in hopes of witnessing another Ford GT victory (and Mustang in the Continental Tire series).

• bdegrand likes this
1966 Mustang Fastback Restomod
1985 Mustang GT (Preserved)
1997 F-150 4x4
2011 Edge SEL

#8 OFFLINE   coupe3w

coupe3w

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Joined 06-October 99
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Focus SE, 67 Mustang FB, 34 3 Window Coupe

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

Congratulations to Ford and the Ford teams, Multimatic and Chip Ganassi Racing. Great job!

Wonder if there will be BOP adjustments going forward?

• bdegrand likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Stray Kat

Stray Kat

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 28-July 03

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Tommy Kendall gave a very good explanation of how the Ford GT has a clever advantage.

In essence he said the narrow greenhouse (afforded by the compact engine package) and the "flying buttress" design allows the Ford GT to have a better aero/drag curve. This is unique to the Ford GT.

Put another way they get better down force while delaying the occurrence of high coefficients of drag. This helps the car stay planted AND accelerate like a champ down the straights.

It seems Ford has really done their homework. Did anyone else notice that the Ford GT's profile makes most of the other cars look gigantic by comparison?
  • bdegrand likes this

#10 OFFLINE   blksn8k2

blksn8k2

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Joined 22-March 06

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Interesting article about BoP. The ensuing debate in the comments afterward is educational as well.  ;)

http://sportscar365....cess-explained/

My current rides:
07 Sport Trac Limited 4x4 V8
99 Mustang Cobra (Roush Body Kit)
75 Bronco (393 Windsor, NV3550 5-speed)
70 Mustang Mach 1 (428 CJ, 4-speed)
68 Cougar (390 GT, C6)
67 Ranchero (460, C6, Pro Street)

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan

#11 OFFLINE   meyeste

meyeste

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Joined 13-August 05

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

My son attended the Rolex 24 hr. race again this year; and called me numerous times throughout the race with updates of the action.   It was a very happy call when the Ford GT won the GTLM class.   Last year's 24hrs. was a disappointment; as well as the race at VIR where we both attended.  I may have to consider going with him to VIR this year in hopes of witnessing another Ford GT victory (and Mustang in the Continental Tire series).

I watched on the television, what surprised me was the RSR Porsche collided with the #67 GT and the #62 Ferrari in it's charge to the front (which clearly wore out it's tires), I could see thinking one collision was an accident but two? Clearly the #67 GT was negatively impacted by the collision, IMO Patrick Pillet deserved a punch in the face after the race. Also why is the RSR Porsche allowed to compete - there is no mid-engine 911 Porsche available to the public. 

In my opinion the IMSA Prototype, GTLM and GS classes are the only races worth watching

Edited by meyeste, 30 January 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 24,706 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Ti (Ruby Red)

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

Also why is the RSR Porsche allowed to compete - there is no mid-engine 911 Porsche available to the public.

For the same reason the Corvette and the Aston Martin in previous years were allowed to move their engine further back in the engine bay.

2013 Fusion Titanium (Ruby Red)
2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve (Luxe/Cappucino)

#13 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 24,706 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

I don't remember the contact with the 67 but I thought they were 23 laps down.   On the Ferrari contact I thought that was clean, hard racing.   Just because there is contact doesn't mean it's a foul.   That last minute deal with the Caddy prototypes for the win was far more egregious and they let it go.

#14 ONLINE   CurtisH

CurtisH

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 431 posts
  • Joined 23-December 02
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Mustang GT

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

I read that there was some controversy around the Caddy's win but didn't see an explanation. What happened?

#15 OFFLINE   coupe3w

coupe3w

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Joined 06-October 99
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Focus SE, 67 Mustang FB, 34 3 Window Coupe

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

I read that there was some controversy around the Caddy's win but didn't see an explanation. What happened?

The two Caddies bumped which caused the #5 to spin he did a 360 and continued on. They were looking at to see if it was intentional. It was ruled a racing incident. 

#16 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 24,706 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

The winning car was in second place with a few laps to go, dove under the lead car in turn 1, barely got the nose in and hit the lead car in the left rear, spinning him.   I think the only thing that kept him from getting a penalty is that I think he held his line on the inside and did not initiate the contact with the lead car.   The lead car either didn't see him or tried to shut the door too late.    Had the other driver gotten in too hot and pushed into the lead car I think it would have drawn the penalty.

I didn't see anything wrong with the Porsche pass on the Ferrari either. 

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·