Rolex 24 Update

blksn8k2

The Caddy's are in the "prototype" class. As I understand it there are two types of prototypes. There are factory prototypes and there are global prototypes.

The global prototypes and the factory prototypes can choose from any one of four approved chassis manufacturers such as Dalarra or Multimatic.

The difference is the globals use a spec Gibson engine while the factory's use their manufacturer's engine and styling cues of said manufacturer.

Thus the Caddy uses an LS based power plant and Caddy front end cues while the Mazda uses a 2.0 turbo four and Mazda cues on the nose.

The Caddy's are in the "prototype" class. As I understand it there are two types of prototypes. There are factory prototypes and there are global prototypes.

The global prototypes and the factory prototypes can choose from any one of four approved chassis manufacturers such as Dalarra or Multimatic.

The difference is the globals use a spec Gibson engine while the factory's use their manufacturer's engine and styling cues of said manufacturer.

Thus the Caddy uses an LS based power plant and Caddy front end cues while the Mazda uses a 2.0 turbo four and Mazda cues on the nose.

SK- Thx- In any case, nail biter- I was getting worried when the 66 started puffing smoke or fluid toward the end but seemed to get stronger.

• Like 1

My son attended the Rolex 24 hr. race again this year; and called me numerous times throughout the race with updates of the action. It was a very happy call when the Ford GT won the GTLM class. Last year's 24hrs. was a disappointment; as well as the race at VIR where we both attended. I may have to consider going with him to VIR this year in hopes of witnessing another Ford GT victory (and Mustang in the Continental Tire series).

• Like 1

Tommy Kendall gave a very good explanation of how the Ford GT has a clever advantage.

In essence he said the narrow greenhouse (afforded by the compact engine package) and the "flying buttress" design allows the Ford GT to have a better aero/drag curve. This is unique to the Ford GT.

Put another way they get better down force while delaying the occurrence of high coefficients of drag. This helps the car stay planted AND accelerate like a champ down the straights.

It seems Ford has really done their homework. Did anyone else notice that the Ford GT's profile makes most of the other cars look gigantic by comparison?

• Like 1

My son attended the Rolex 24 hr. race again this year; and called me numerous times throughout the race with updates of the action. It was a very happy call when the Ford GT won the GTLM class. Last year's 24hrs. was a disappointment; as well as the race at VIR where we both attended. I may have to consider going with him to VIR this year in hopes of witnessing another Ford GT victory (and Mustang in the Continental Tire series).

I watched on the television, what surprised me was the RSR Porsche collided with the #67 GT and the #62 Ferrari in it's charge to the front (which clearly wore out it's tires), I could see thinking one collision was an accident but two? Clearly the #67 GT was negatively impacted by the collision, IMO Patrick Pillet deserved a punch in the face after the race. Also why is the RSR Porsche allowed to compete - there is no mid-engine 911 Porsche available to the public.

In my opinion the IMSA Prototype, GTLM and GS classes are the only races worth watching

Edited by meyeste

I don't remember the contact with the 67 but I thought they were 23 laps down. On the Ferrari contact I thought that was clean, hard racing. Just because there is contact doesn't mean it's a foul. That last minute deal with the Caddy prototypes for the win was far more egregious and they let it go.

I read that there was some controversy around the Caddy's win but didn't see an explanation. What happened?

The two Caddies bumped which caused the #5 to spin he did a 360 and continued on. They were looking at to see if it was intentional. It was ruled a racing incident.

The winning car was in second place with a few laps to go, dove under the lead car in turn 1, barely got the nose in and hit the lead car in the left rear, spinning him. I think the only thing that kept him from getting a penalty is that I think he held his line on the inside and did not initiate the contact with the lead car. The lead car either didn't see him or tried to shut the door too late. Had the other driver gotten in too hot and pushed into the lead car I think it would have drawn the penalty.

I didn't see anything wrong with the Porsche pass on the Ferrari either.