NASCAR Rules Changes

blksn8k2

I get what the end game is, make races more digestible for average viewers, but why you gotta make it so complicated?

I don't understand the aversion to shortening races, especially at typically painfully boring tracks like Kansas or Chicago. It worked wonders for Pocono when weather doesn't get involved.

I agree about the complication factor. I also get it that by awarding points throughout the race the intent is to make the entire race more exciting, not just restarts and the last five laps. However, the only way the average fan will know where their favorite driver or team stands is to log on to the NASCAR website after the race to see how many points they earned. And you will probably be wasting your time unless you wait till the day after the race.

All the nonsense they have tried since Brian France took over we are told has been intended to attract new, younger fans. Unfortunately, it has also alienated a lot of traditional fans (I haven't watched a complete race in at least five years) and because most kids today have the attention span of a mouse NASCAR is just spinning their wheels (pun intended). It's to the point where NASCAR actually rents portable cell towers so people can use their phones at the track! Really? If you didn't want them to pay attention to the race you couldn't have tried any harder.

If you look at the history of when a lot of these changes were implemented over the years it appears as though they were done in response to an outcome that the Heir Unapparent's fans didn't like because their boy didn't win more races and the championship. I wonder what they will do when he (Dale Jr) retires in another year or two? He and Danica have a lot in common. Neither are there because of their superior driving talent. The only races either of them have been competitive at are the plate races and anyone can win there as long as they avoid "The Big One". I suppose when he retires all the Earnhardt fans will switch over to whichever of the Dillon boys is driving the 3 car.

I believe the cell towers also support the Nascar app via LTE data as well as just being able to make a simple phone call or text (meet me over here, I'm leaving now, etc.) and for true emergencies. It's not just for FB and instagram and it's pretty standard for stadiums and large events now.