The EPA Will Accuse Fiat Chrysler Of Using Software That Allowed Excess Diesel Pollution: Report

silvrsvt

FCA Response:

FCA US is disappointed that the EPA has chosen to issue a notice of violation with respect to the emissions control technology employed in the company’s 2014-16 model year light duty 3.0-liter diesel engines.

FCA US intends to work with the incoming administration to present its case and resolve this matter fairly and equitably and to assure the EPA and FCA US customers that the company’s diesel-powered vehicles meet all applicable regulatory requirements.

FCA US diesel engines are equipped with state-of-the-art emission control systems hardware, including selective catalytic reduction (SCR). Every auto manufacturer must employ various strategies to control tailpipe emissions in order to balance EPA’s regulatory requirements for low nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions and requirements for engine durability and performance, safety and fuel efficiency. FCA US believes that its emission control systems meet the applicable requirements.

FCA US has spent months providing voluminous information in response to requests from EPA and other governmental authorities and has sought to explain its emissions control technology to EPA representatives. FCA US has proposed a number of actions to address EPA’s concerns, including developing extensive software changes to our emissions control strategies that could be implemented in these vehicles immediately to further improve emissions performance.

FCA US looks forward to the opportunity to meet with the EPA’s enforcement division and representatives of the new administration to demonstrate that FCA US’s emissions control strategies are properly justified and thus are not “defeat devices” under applicable regulations and to resolve this matter expeditiously.

Watching this bubble up this morning, my initial reaction mirrored Anthony's: They cannot survive even a fraction of what VW just had.

Reading the notice, I don't see how this could be described as anything *other than* a defeat device (or, rather, a series of devices).

Get your popcorn, and buckle up.

Sergio might just be robbed of his opportunity to ride off into the sunset before the wheels come off.

• Like 1

Watching this bubble up this morning, my initial reaction mirrored Anthony's: They cannot survive even a fraction of what VW just had.

Reading the notice, I don't see how this could be described as anything *other than* a defeat device (or, rather, a series of devices).

Get your popcorn, and buckle up.

Sergio might just be robbed of his opportunity to ride off into the sunset before the wheels come off.

Does this mean Alfa can't take over the world now??? :cry:

• Like 1

So this is the VM Motori Engine and not the Cummins that was rumored to be affect...at least they could blame Cummins if that was the case, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

Hope Ford and GM have their new Diesels dialed in so they don't get hit by this.

FCA US has proposed a number of actions to address EPA’s concerns, including developing extensive software changes to our emissions control strategies that could be implemented in these vehicles immediately to further improve emissions performance.

FCA US looks forward to the opportunity to meet with the EPA’s enforcement division and representatives of the new administration to demonstrate that FCA US’s emissions control strategies are properly justified and thus are not “defeat devices”

Translation: We cheated

Translation: We hope that Trump is not a publicity loving nut, and that he won't seize this opportunity to 'make an example of us.'

Translation: We cheated

Translation: We hope that Trump is not a publicity loving nut, and that he won't seize this opportunity to 'make an example of us.'

Translation: We hope the new administration will bail us out of this ginormous hole we just dug for ourselves.

I wouldn't count on it.

I wouldn't count on it.

I don't think so either. At some point, I expect the gov't will bail out the Chrysler portion of FCA, and that Sergio will be shown the door. Heck, a gov't sponsored merger w/GM post 2020 isn't out of the question, IMO. Of course, it'd be like the PennCentral fiasco in the late 60s/early 70s, but...

I'm having a hard time believing that the outgoing administration would go out of its way to hurt FCA just to put Trump on the spot. The bailout and its prevention of both GM and Chrysler going out of business were heavily touted during the 2012 presidential campaign.

At any rate, this doesn't mean that Chrysler is going to vanish completely. The pickup truck, minivan and Jeep segments of the company would still be attractive to another car company. If, for example, Hyundai gets them for cheap, it becomes a full-line manufacturer in the U.S., right up there with GM, Ford and Toyota.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

Sure. And smug assumptions about Trump have proven to be oh so accurate thus far, haven't they?

I'm not being smug, EPA is moving toward pro-busiess leadership under Trump rather than pro-envrionemntalism and regulation. FCA really has nothing to worry about and I think the celebrating in here is kinda silly. I think you'll see a dramatic shift away from regulation under the new administration especially since the entire EPA staff and their researchers are leaving for the private sector. They simply won't have the capability to run the agency from a research and envrionmental activism perspective. The rest will be up to the states and corporate governance. I think the primary goal of the EPA going forward will be to ensure energy independence and stability so completely dismantling it won't make sense from a stability perspective, but the environmental aspects will largely be reduced, especially those that target reduced consumption or increased expenses.

Edited by BORG