2018 Toyota Camry makes its debut

rmc523

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/09/2018-toyota-camry-2017-detroit-auto-show/

The all-new 2018 Camry comes with an equally all-new lineup of powertrains. The vast majority of those you'll see lining the Safeway parking lot will come with a new 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder "Dynamic Force Engine." Rather than going the small-displacement turbocharged route, Toyota adopted a longer stroke and higher compression ratio, direct injection, a variable cooling system, and the latest iteration of the brand's Variable Valve-Timing-intelligent Electric (VVT-iE) system. Output specs weren't released, but Toyota promises better power and torque (the current 2.5-liter produces 178 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque) along with best-in-class fuel economy. The current leaders in the clubhouse manage 31 mpg combined.

Also new is the 3.5-liter V6, presumably shared with the 2017 Toyota Highlander and Sienna. Both four- and six-cylinder engine options are paired to a new eight-speed automatic transmission. The Camry Hybrid makes its return also featuring the new 2.5-liter four-cylinder along with a revised continuously variable transmission that features a new Sport mode capable of simulating six gears. Selecting Sport mode also increases electric boost and thus acceleration.

One key change to the Hybrid is that its battery pack was relocated from the trunk to underneath the rear seat. This should theoretically improve trunk space and improve driving dynamics by relocating the batteries' ample weight toward the vehicle's center of gravity. Toyota anticipates the Camry will achieve "Prius-like city/highway" fuel economy, which would put it in the ballpark of 54 mpg city and 50 mpg highway

More at the link above.

2018-toyota-camry-camry-hybrid-01-560fd7

2018-toyota-camry-xse-01-801a0656131bd1e

2018-toyota-camry-xse-02-88961eaaee6ed52

2018-toyota-camry-hybrid-xle-01-34b6ab87

2018-toyota-camry-hybrid-xle-02-f2f821a3

---

So like Lexus, Toyota design/styling keeps getting more and more bizarre.

Nothing too earth shattering here, but I have to say for me, that it is an improvement over the outgoing model. Certainly not as offensive as the Lexus models. The 10" HUD sounded interesting though.

Edited by tbone

I thought this one finally used a new platform?

If by new platform you mean a new alphanumeric nametag then sure.....

Actually I'm not sure but I would be surprised if this was really a brand new platform. I guess we'll know when we see the muffler from behind.

I like

But it's been 20+ years since there was a Toyota badged anything worth looking twice at (RX300 was a revolutionary vehicle, IMO, but that's a Lexus not a Toyota)

the Toyota 86/former Scion frs(?) whateverthef*** and I thought the last MR2 was damn sexy.

At least this Camry at least has a personality, but unfortunately it is a crazy lady with six cats who believes in astrology but not shaving her mustache personality.

• Like 1