2018 Kia Stinger Debuts

rmc523

I dont think the KIA Stinger has a chance in hell of doing anything meaningful, it's a completely odd-ball product targeting an audience that Kia simply doesn't have.

It is pretty surprising that they are going through with this considering that the K-900 completely failed.

From the comments I've seen on other sites, they are expecting it to be in the 40-50K range.

Unless your an luxury marquire or have a cheap model you fleet out (aka Charger) I don't see this being successful...heck Ford has had ~$4500 rebate on the SHO for most of its production run and thats dead smack in the middle of the price range this car will be in.

I said a lot of people wanted Ford to make this car... I didn't say the car makes sense for Ford ;)

Kia has the benefit of having Genesis take the lion share of the platform development costs. They are treating it as a 50-year investment to build the Genesis brand so the cost of one RWD midsize sedan is trivia in that sense. That's not Ford's strategy obviously with Lincoln.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Genesis is hardly making headway, still being sold at Hyundai stores, where buyers come in looking for cheap wheels.

I am thinking Genesis will end up like Sterling and Merkur brands, trivia questions,

And Kia is seen as "even cheaper" brand. Them trying to suddenly say "we are a luxury make too!" doesn't work, with all the "dollar store" Kias rolling around. No way will preppy-yuppies buy a Stinger to show off to their Beemer loving friends.

Edited by 630land

Genesis is hardly making headway, still being sold at Hyundai stores, where buyers come in looking for cheap wheels.

I am thinking Genesis will end up like Sterling and Merkur brands, trivia questions,

And Kia is seen as "even cheaper" brand. Them trying to suddenly say "we are a luxury make too!" doesn't work, with all the "dollar store" Kias rolling around. No way will preppy-yuppies buy a Stinger to show off to their Beemer loving friends.

And pushy salesmen....i went and drove a Santa Fe and I told the sales guy specifically that I was just looking to see and not buying anything, and after their test drive loop, he was like "so you want to buy it?" With several calls the following few days asking when I wanted to come buy it.

Hyundai and Kia have a strong market to themselves in Korea so I think that mostly pays for their lofty goals. Hyundai/Kia iterate extremely fast, that's definitely not the case with carmakers like Lincoln which are very slow, steady, and longterm which means they are very risk averse while Kia/Hyundai can get very experimental.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that the discussion on this one has died off a bit. Here's a minor update on the Stinger. The base model will not have the "GT" badge and will simply be "Stinger". It is expected to have a starting price around $35,000. The engine in the base is going to be an evolution of the same turbo charged 4 cylinger that's in the base Hyundai Genesis Coupe. This should give it high 200s horsepower with around 300 lbs of torque or so. This will put it in the ballpark of other smaller luxury RWD entry turbo models (Lexus IS turbo, BMW 2/3 series with the 4 cylinder turbo, etc). Being a Kia, buyers should be able to bargain down into the low $30Ks easily. For that price, this isn't a bad package. Not precisely my cup of tea, but that's much better market positioning.