2018 Kia Stinger Debuts

rmc523

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/08/2018-kia-stinger-sport-sedan-detroit/

A little more than five years ago, Kia rolled out the GT Concept - a sheetmetal hypothetical musing on where the brand's sporting aspirations might go. Today on the eve of the Detroit Auto Show Kia unveiled the Stinger, the production version of that 2011 show car. While Kia Motors America says "the Stinger really is a dream car for us," enthusiasts anticipating something a lot racier have sobered up over the distance between the concept and the production reality. Nevertheless, the new Stinger will be the sportiest Kia ever, and not by a little.

When the Stinger goes on sale late this year customers get a choice of two engines that are currently still in development. The base model employs a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with around 255 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. The upper trim goes with the 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6 found in the Genesis G90 and expected to put out the same numbers: 365 hp and 376 lb-ft. Both motors will shift through the eight-speed automatic shared with the Kia K900 but refined with a centrifugal pendulum absorber for reduced vibration. If all goes to plan, the dash from zero to 62 miles per hour will take 5.1 seconds with the 3.3-liter V6, with top speed capped at 167 mph.

Kia picked up ex-BMW M honcho Albert Biermann in 2014 specifically for this kind of exercise. To make the most of the Stinger's talents, Biermann's team tuned five available driving modes: Personal, Eco, Sport, Comfort, and Smart. Each mode commands a particular specific steering feedback, throttle and transmission mapping, and handling feel via the MacPherson front and multi-link rear suspension. Putting the power down falls on 18-inch, 225/45 performance tires on the base model, whereas the 3.3-liter trim comes standard with staggered tires on 19-inch wheels and vented Brembo brakes.

The two drivetrain choices are rear-wheel drive for purists, and all-wheel drive for purists who live in regions with seasons. The AWD option comes with a brake-based torque vectoring. A mechanical limited-slip differential graces the all-wheel drive. Kia says it will announce pricing closer to the on-sale date.

More at the link above.

12148-2018-stinger-2.jpg

12120-2018-stinger-2.jpg

12116-2018-stinger-2.jpg

I wish Kia would change their logo.....hard to take them more seriously for me when their logo is 3 block letters in an oval.

Why don't they use the South Korean logo instead?

Vintage_K_Emblem_Replacement__48046.1420

I think thats an Aftermarket one though.

Next up...will this sell better then the Pontiac G8 or the Chevy SS is the next question....esp with the sedan market dying off.

• Like 1

Why don't they use the South Korean logo instead?

Vintage_K_Emblem_Replacement__48046.1420

I think thats an Aftermarket one though.

Next up...will this sell better then the Pontiac G8 or the Chevy SS is the next question....esp with the sedan market dying off.

+ no manual transmission option which means the enthusiast crowd interest will be lower

You're missing my point completely.

I get it. You don't like their logo. I'm just saying your rationale is flawed.

Logos I don't like include Mazda, Toyota, Lexus and Infiniti as being very unimaginative and clearly just an ad agency output. They don't give any emotion.

The MB star, Chevrolet bowtie, Audi rings, BMW propeller, Honda "H" and Blue Oval give an emotion. They stand for something.

+ no manual transmission option which means the enthusiast crowd interest will be lower

Not like the SS was sales success with selling less than 500 units a month!

I don't forsee a non-luxury RWD sedan doing all that well with the changes in the automotive market place and the demand for CUVs

Not like the SS was sales success with selling less than 500 units a month!

I don't forsee a non-luxury RWD sedan doing all that well with the changes in the automotive market place and the demand for CUVs

Charger?, (somewhat) 300?.

This is the car that a lot people want Ford to make... decent sized RWD sedan (well this one is hatch but the Genesis version will be a sedan) with V6 engine with reasonable (I'm guessing this one will start in the high $30k range) price tag.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

This is the car that a lot people want Ford to make... decent sized RWD sedan (well this one is hatch but the Genesis version will be a sedan) with V6 engine with reasonable (I'm guessing this one will start in the high $30k range) price tag.

From the comments I've seen on other sites, they are expecting it to be in the 40-50K range.

Unless your an luxury marquire or have a cheap model you fleet out (aka Charger) I don't see this being successful...heck Ford has had ~$4500 rebate on the SHO for most of its production run and thats dead smack in the middle of the price range this car will be in.

The mainstream compact and midsize sedans have peaked out and it will be the first segment to decline in the move to mainstream SUVs. Ford believes this so much that they eliminated a tremendous amount of capacity for Fusion and Focus by the end of the decade and canceled a plant in the middle of construction.

Luxury cars are another thing, they still sell in VERY low numbers and growing modestly, but their profits and traditional customer base are very different and more profitable.

I dont think the KIA Stinger has a chance in hell of doing anything meaningful, it's a completely odd-ball product targeting an audience that Kia simply doesn't have.