Ford Bronco will ride again, says CEO Mark Fields at Detroit auto show

The old full-size Bronco always, more-or-less, mimicked the styling of F-Series. I don't think it would be out of line if the new one did the same. For me at least, I'm tired of retro looking cars and would rather have something with modern styling. That doesn't mean it can't still have aggressive styling that would appeal to the potential Wrangler buyer.

I curious if they have any weight reduction plans for the Ranger. If it is truly going to be just a T6 refresh, it will weigh nearly the same as an aluminum F150. A quick googling found a crew cab 4x4 w/3.2 diesel weighs nearly 4800lbs. You could probably spec an F150 to come in nearly the same weight. And considering how weight always seems to go up with refreshes, it might be even closer.

Do you remember 86 when heep went to square headlights...or the probe being the next mustang..some things are iconic like the bronc the heep and the mustang...always risky to reach too far out..its really is ballsy move that ford would rejuvinate the little bronc..i hafta give em some credit...4 doors would be ok...just make sure 2 doors is available....far as courier/ranger goes i have no cares..

No, it is being designed in MI.. that's how my contact saw the pictures from one of the designers.

Sounds like more than one design office could have a hand in it.

http://www.motoring.com.au/scoop-ford-australia-leads-bronco-development-104532/

"While Ford’s Australian operation is laying the early groundwork for both models, engineering input could also be provided by sister product development centres in the US, China, Brazil and Germany.

The new Bronco’s final exterior design, which will be different to the Everest and could take some inspiration from the 2014 Ford Troller T4 concept (pictured), is likely to be signed off at Ford’s Dearborn HQ in the US."

I think a removable top is a must but the execution will be interesting. The main reason I want a Wrangler as my 'summer toy' is because it's a convertible. So if Ford can produce a more polished Wrangler that looks as bad-ass and iconic as a Wrangler (and not a box on roller-skates like the original Bronco), then I'll be thrilled.

I couldn't have said it better. Plus being able to legitimately take it off road.

Edited by tbone

This is apparently on Ford's Facebook page. I'm not sure how to interpret the Ranger comment....it says "coming to North America in 2019." That could either confirm that it's just a refresh or just be meaning that the nameplate is returning to North America.

I think you are just over analyzing. :)

• Like 1

Perhaps safe to say those are Year Models so people don't expect them turning up earlier than expected.....

Although if Focus change over is now delayed by reshuffle to Hermosillo, that could in turn delay Ranger too...

Maybe this is why Fuzzy was getting confusing info through back channel before the rest of us knew about

cancellation of SLP....

Edited by jpd80

Perhaps safe to say those are Year Models so people don't expect them turning up earlier than expected.....

Well seeing that both the NAIAS and MAP employee announcement said production in late 2018 for the Ranger it's safe to say those are model years which will turn into calendar year by the time they hit dealer lots.

IMO they need to nix half of all the BS features prevalent, and somewhat un-necessary in a majority of todays vehicles. Max it needs is Bluetooth/ Nav, power windows, cruise A'/c, stereo and not much else....power seats pfffffffffffffft, massaging seats, lane keeping, BLIS ( well maybe, but only because I ride a motorcycle ) heated steering wheel, adjustable pedals, sunroofs, refrigerated storage, ambient lighting....yadda yadda yadda....SIMPLICITY...heck...NIX CARPET...no leather just cloth and GASP Vinyl....keep the Bronco simple, otherwise unless theres serious differences it WILL eat into Explorer sales....and god forbid it becomes that buttercup.

IMO they need to nix half of all the BS features prevalent, and somewhat un-necessary in a majority of todays vehicles. Max it needs is Bluetooth/ Nav, power windows, cruise A'/c, stereo and not much else....power seats pfffffffffffffft, massaging seats, lane keeping, BLIS ( well maybe, but only because I ride a motorcycle ) heated steering wheel, adjustable pedals, sunroofs, refrigerated storage, ambient lighting....yadda yadda yadda....SIMPLICITY...heck...NIX CARPET...no leather just cloth and GASP Vinyl....keep the Bronco simple, otherwise unless theres serious differences it WILL eat into Explorer sales....and god forbid it becomes that buttercup.

Hmm.....well I personally want it to have all of that, otherwise I probably won't be interested.

I don't predict a 2 door, look at how many Wrangler 2 doors sell. I'd bet Jeep will drop it.

Need to bring a new generation of buyers, and make money. Don't expect strippo, cheapo versions.

I suspect the business plan for the Wrangler will not change. There are plenty of people that still want a 2-door. Certainly not as many as the 4-door, but I doubt they want to mess with the iconic 2-door version.

if I want a Bronco I want something that gos along with its intended purpose, something I can get into with muddy gumboots and not worry about makin a mess....there HAS to be a market for a more no nonsense "tougher" vehicle.....I swear, most vehicles now are four wheeled Massage Parlors....take your Miko Suede inserts and..................

if I want a Bronco I want something that gos along with its intended purpose, something I can get into with muddy gumboots and not worry about makin a mess....there HAS to be a market for a more no nonsense "tougher" vehicle.....I swear, most vehicles now are four wheeled Massage Parlors....take your Miko Suede inserts and..................

They can offer both a "rugged" version and a nice version.

• Like 1

Along the Ranger topic....I also think theres a market for a Regular cab, after all everyone else has left the market, why not make a base Commercial model that could slo serve as a Chassis....there IS a market for small utility bodies on a smaller chassis....

@RMC...agreed...call it the Mudrunner or something...but Im over screeds of questionable options and 30 page ordering guides....Keep It Simple Stupid this time around...and make it 4 wheel down neutral towable....

Ah ha! So you just want it simpler for the less complicated ordering. Haha

RMC....nope, Im not convinced someone that would by a more off road oriented vehicle is interested in Massaging seats, adaptive cruise, Home Link, Ford Pass, Front rear side and trailer cameras, power adjustable pedals, ambient lighting, 2nd row heated seats, coolie bins, lane keeping, active park assist etc etc etc ....this truck should be more purpose built than attempting to appeal to snowflake millennial Tekkies.....as Chopper Reid said ( google You Tube ) people need to Harden the F--k Up.....lol....this truck, again IMO, NEEDS to be Ford TOUGH with a minimum lipstick.

RMC....nope, Im not convinced someone that would by a more off road oriented vehicle is interested in Massaging seats, adaptive cruise, Home Link, Ford Pass, Front rear side and trailer cameras, power adjustable pedals, ambient lighting, 2nd row heated seats, coolie bins, lane keeping, active park assist etc etc etc ....this truck should be more purpose built than attempting to appeal to snowflake millennial Tekkies.....as Chopper Reid said ( google You Tube ) people need to Harden the F--k Up.....lol....this truck, again IMO, NEEDS to be Ford TOUGH with a minimum lipstick.

I'm keeping details vague on purpose for a reason, but I have it on very good authority that what you want is very close to what the end goal is.
  • Like 2

I suppose the Raptor doesn't need any of those options either?

RMC....correct...it doesn't.....but at the price they are getting they have to justify it....but dare I say it, if there was a strippy Raptor it would have a significant following as well. The Bronco could go a different route to success....hose out floor, Wetsuit material for seat covers, articulated suspension, serious off road chops...ie not Raptor whoop whoops, lockers front rear, less overhangs, greater ground clearance, manual trans.....I really don't need my back massaged on my Miko suede cooled 10 way whilst opening the security gate at my luxury apartment complex with synched buttons on my lit vanity mirror while jamming to a subwoofered Rap song on my 42 speaker sound system while engaging 1st gear with a steering wheel paddle....

Fuzzy....I hope so...I swear, I smile every time I jump into a Transit connect, and the simplicity is REFRESHING....classic purpose built...theres a REAL opportunity here to do something less mainstream and re-inject some passion.....I know for a fact not everyone warms to a LOT of the gimmicky options swathed on every manufacturers latest and greatest....some I can justify...as as noted, a LOT I cant....