NASCAR 2017 Charter System

blksn8k2

I'm confused. Why is Wood Brothers Racing leasing the 32 car charter from Go Fas Racing for the 21 car while Go Fas Racing is leasing the 44 car charter from Richard Petty Motorsports for the 32? Why didn't the Wood Brothers just lease the 44 charter from RPM and skip Go Fas altogether? Who's on first?

Edit: Also a little odd but not as convoluted is that Roush-Fenway Racing (Ford) is leasing their charter for the 16 car (formerly Greg Biffle's ride) to JTG Daugherty Racing (Chevy) for their 2nd car, the #37, to be driven by Roush driver Chris Buescher.

Edited by blksn8k2

Did Go Fas have any sponsors lined up when they leased their charter to the Wood Brothers? If not and they got one afterwards that might have been a factor as well... still looks odd.

they may have had one that came with DiBennedetto when he signed with them but other than that I have no idea

Edit: now that I think of it, I think they are bringing Can-Am back as primary sponsor for most of the season.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

• 4 weeks later...

This whole charter system is starting to look like start and park. It's just a different way for underfunded teams to stay in the sport. If a team does not want to or can no longer afford to run the full schedule they can sell or lease their charter to another team who does. That way the underfunded team gets money for something they can't use anyway. They can now afford to be "field fillers" without the embarrassment of start and park.

Here's the latest example: BK Racing had a charter for the 83 car. Since they do not plan to run the full schedule in 2017 they sold that charter to Front Row who already had two charters, one for the 34 and another for the 38. Since FRM is only planning to run two cars they leased (or sold?) their new third charter to TriStar Motorsports who also intends to run the full schedule with the 72 car. Cole Whitt, TriStar's driver, brings sponsorship from Florida Lottery, among others. The end result is that both BKR and FRM made money off the charter system which probably wouldn't have worked out if TriStar didn't hire a driver whose sponsor could help pay for the charter.

Somehow I don't think that's what NASCAR had in mind when they created this latest "Monster". Or maybe they did plan it this way...?

What could get interesting is the size of the race purses and the amount of money these underfunded teams can make by just having a car on the track. With Monster Energy replacing Sprint as the series title sponsor there will be a lot less monetary support which could translate into lower purses. Just another reason why NASCAR keeps changing the rules in an attempt to maintain fan interest along with ticket sales and TV revenue.