Cadillac offers 'vehicle subscription' service for $1,500/Mth in NYC

jpd80

I think it will just give them an excuse to continue overbuilding cars. They will have to enter the used car market sometime and drop values for those that bought them new.

Well, there is the question of how they would account for those deliveries.

If they set up a wholly owned subsidiary (a la Ford & Hertz), they could divert hundreds of units of production to that subsidiary, and then call those 'sales', the same way that Hertz 'bought' cars from the company that owned them.

• Like 1

They will be counted as retail sales in the same way that their forced loaner program cars are. GM has made the turnaround time on those cars very short, which works out great for them.............. as they can count rentals are retail sales. This will be the same.

You can only have 18 switches in a given year. V cars are only available from March to October I believe, and are limited to 5 days at a time. So, you cannot switch out an Escalade for a CTS-V in the summer.

As others have said, it is like leasing a car with none of the benefits of it actually being your car, but with the side benefit of being able to "try" other cars for a period of time. The thing that sucks is, there is nothing that says you will get the same Escalade after your 5 day CTS-V vacation. So, you can constantly be trading into what is basically glorified rental cars that other people have done who knows what in.

Frankly, I think it is dumb. I believe it is the brainchild of the ultimate millenial............. Melody Lee.

They will be counted as retail sales in the same way that their forced loaner program cars are. GM has made the turnaround time on those cars very short, which works out great for them.............. as they can count rentals are retail sales. This will be the same.

Which answers the riddle, when is a fleet sale not a fleet sale?

Answer: When it's a lease concocted GM strategy.

And who the hell is Melody Lee?

Hahaha I was going to ask the same thing.

This strategy seems like the same as fling shit against a wall and seeing what sticks.

Then again what every auto manufacture is talking about doing for the next 10-20 years with autonomous cars and electric cars seems to be going down the same route.

Even the upcoming Transportation secretary said that the tech is moving too fast for the consumer without them understanding it properly. The Car business isn't the IT industry and it can't be treated the same. A crash on a computer or phone is much more serious in a car ;)

https://jalopnik.com/u-s-has-no-clue-how-autonomous-cars-will-work-new-tra-1791075357

Also, who keeps their car completely empty of personal items at all times?

What's in the glove box? Only the owner's manual. What's in the trunk? Absolutely nothing besides the spare tire kit. What's in the seventy five various bins? Absolutely nothing but sailboat fuel.

Otherwise, every time you swap cars you've got to completely de-crap your old car and re-crap your new car.

that other people have done who knows what in

• Like 1

It sounds like an attempt to get people who haven't considered/won't buy a Cadillac to drive them. It will then generate "buzz" for the division from the people leasing the vehicles, who, Cadillac undoubtedly hopes, will begin gushing to friends, family and co-workers about how unexpectedly great their new Cadillac is.

At least, that is what Cadillac hopes will happen.

Melody Lee supposedly said "We are not a car company, we are a luxury good company". And also said "we will only sell to Millennials"

Does she even know how to drive? Or just calls "Uber"*

*People use word "Uber" for any brand of car service, like "Kleenex" or "Doritos"

The whole thing is an answer to a question nobody asked

Good. Cadillac is supposed to be an innovator, and they're doing that with BOOK. Innovators recognize,

It is your job to invent the future – you are the inventors.
It is not the customer’s job – they are not good at the future but they might buy your invention if you get it right (or not).

Good. Cadillac is supposed to be an innovator, and they're doing that with BOOK. Innovators recognize,

It is your job to invent the future you are the inventors.

It is not the customers job they are not good at the future but they might buy your invention if you get it right (or not).

http://timkastelle.org/blog/2010/09/our-job-is-to-invent-the-future/

Innovators also recognize a need. I'm still not convinced this is a need.

It sounds like an attempt to get people who haven't considered/won't buy a Cadillac to drive them. It will then generate "buzz" for the division from the people leasing the vehicles, who, Cadillac undoubtedly hopes, will begin gushing to friends, family and co-workers about how unexpectedly great their new Cadillac is.

At least, that is what Cadillac hopes will happen.

If that's the case then I think it would need to be a lot cheaper than $1500/month.

It is your job to invent the future – you are the inventors.

Heh.

No.

No, no, no.

Nope.

No.

I don't even know where to begin, but how about with this little nugget:

Programming languages were developed at universities, the modern operating system was invented at Bell Telephone Laboratories, the graphical user interface was developed at Stanford, and subsequently by Xerox, the 'internet' in the form of networked machines was invented at universities, in the sense of TCP/IP, at universities with DoD money, and in terms of HTTP, at CERN. Transistors were invented at Bell Labs, who basically gave the patent away to protect their telephone monopoly; ditto cellular networks.

All your precious internet 'inventors' did was invent websites. Uber? It's a website. Facebook? website. They're all just glorified websites. And I can assure you, I absolutely know what I'm talking about here.

Google? Sure, credit them for throwing a huge pile of iron at machine learning concepts invented and developed at universities.

Tesla?

Build off government funded battery research (that isn't even cutting edge anymore) combined with electric motors that were invented 175 years ago by a Catholic priest.

Inventors?

Inventors?

Show me one useful thing that your tribe of 'inventors' has actually 'invented'.

commercializers? Yeah. Absolutely. Ain't nowhere else in the world as good at turning other people's ideas into money (usually without paying them a dime) as Silicon Valley--or Wall Street. Your choice.

Toss up which of them if afflicted with a greater degree of delusion.

Edited by RichardJensen

Mark Reuss made a good point a while back, I'm paraphrasing here:

You can innovate the heck out of products but in the end, you have to get in there and sell them hard to buyers,

you have to understand what's in it for those buyers to take up your product and you business plan better damned

well hold up.

GM can afford to try different things but let's not kid ourselves that this is anything more than

GM playing to a very small percentage of buyers who want to be able to change vehicles

almost at will and are prepared to pay a premium to do that....

Edited by jpd80