GM twin cam V8 returns

Fgts

Uh, yeah. Ford got the message. They built a 3.5 EB that with different tune levels easily beats the GM NA engines.

Just because GM is doing it, doesn't mean Ford is doing it wrong. Ford has invested in turbo technology and that's where they are mostly going. Ford won't win chasing GM's strategy. Just like GM won't win with Cadillac chasing BMW.

• Like 1

I'm still not convinced Ford has the right strategy for efficiency but they certainly have the right strategy for power.

I think it's the other way around. There is no way a small cubic inch (Liter) motor NA to NA or Turbo to Turbo SC to SC is going to make more power vs a larger motor.

That the thing you notice with GM, the propensity for showcase novelties that could turn into something good

if they weren't made in extreme examples with limited application that are pushed into a corner financially......

GM's limited use of its TTV6s is an example of how it doesn't like to share technology with the masses.

Edited by jpd80

I think it's the other way around. There is no way a small cubic inch (Liter) motor NA to NA or Turbo to Turbo SC to SC is going to make more power vs a larger motor.

Are you denying the existence of the mod motors because they don't fit in eighty year old engine bays?

The 5.0L Coyote is more powerful than any number of larger displacement LS engines.

In sheer contrast to Ford, it would never occur to GM to do something meaningful with the 5.3 V8,

maybe turn it into a 21st century 327 0r 331 quad cammed engine that reaches a lot more buyers.

No, instead we see the promise of a DOHC 6.2 that will be limited to exotic use with little chance

of quick amortization of costs but more importantly, placed well beyond the reach of most buyers.

It's what GM does....

In sheer contrast to Ford, it would never occur to GM to do something meaningful with the 5.3 V8,

All those suv and pick-ups with the 5.3 means nothing?. I see you implying a 5.3 performance alternative but those needs are being satisfied by the 6.2 and ttv6, unless the 5.3 can go into the Impala and Lacrosse like 2006.

No, instead we see the promise of a DOHC 6.2 that will be limited to exotic use with little chance

of quick amortization of costs but more importantly, placed well beyond the reach of most buyers.

It's what GM does....

You think GM spent billions on the top end of this engine that already exists?. That's saying Ford wants an extra $340,000 for an car with an F150 V6 with more boost .

• Like 1

$400K+ vs $150K. The Vette will probably out perform the GT too.

The 'Vette is geting its ass spanked in Euro racing, GM is now forced to step in and spend money.

At this level the asking price is proportional to desirability, potential buyers for the Ford GT were

lined up around the corner but, can we really say the same is going to happen in regards to a

$150K Corvette?

Edited by jpd80

All those suv and pick-ups with the 5.3 means nothing?. I see you implying a 5.3 performance alternative but those needs are being satisfied by the 6.2 and ttv6, unless the 5.3 can go into the Impala and Lacrosse like 2006.

You're still not getting it, the only vehicles you can cite are RWDs and a few very limited AWD TTV6s,

now compare that to that to the much broader delivery path of ford's Ecoboost V6s available in trucks,

SUVs and cars.

You think GM spent billions on the top end of this engine that already exists?. That's saying Ford wants an extra $340,000 for an car with an F150 V6 with more boost .

It's not the same situation.

The DOHC 6.2 by its very nature is not just a top end conversion on an LS engine,

it's so much more than that and it's also why it will be limited to a very few customers.

The TTV6 that Ford has developed is a very different animal and reaching so many more customers,

it's an evolution of an existing engine that's already sold close to a million copies in EB format.

The two are just not on the same ball park, GM has two very good TTV6s but jsut refuses to share them

wit Chevrolet and spread ths costs out among buyers, so this is an example of why I think that GM

will not apply the 6.2 DOHC to more than just a privileged few Corvette owners.

In any regards, the web page with the VIN numbers has been taken down by GM,

so either theya re not ready to discuss the LT5 or someone was just taking the piss....

Edited by jpd80

The 'Vette is geting its ass spanked in Euro racing, GM is now forced to step in and spend money.

At this level the asking price is proportional to desirability, potential buyers for the Ford GT were

lined up around the corner but, can we really say the same is going to happen in regards to a

$150K Corvette?

Well since you edited your post.....

The only reason "buyers for the Ford GT were

lined up around the corner...." is because first, it is a limited production car and second, it's the "newest thing" that rich people must have. How many of these do you think will ever see the streets never mind a race track? GM will sell a lot of the new C8 Corvettes and they will be driven and raced.

Not talking racing.

Ford GT - +$400K = all sold and then some, could have asked even higher price.

Corvette -+$150K = do we really know how buyers will respond to that kind of price hike?

Either way, just don't expect the kind of sales volume Corvette sees today, it will be much lower.

Edited by jpd80

Well since you edited your post.....

The only reason "buyers for the Ford GT were

lined up around the corner...." is because first, it is a limited production car and second, it's the "newest thing" that rich people must have. How many of these do you think will ever see the streets never mind a race track? GM will sell a lot of the new C8 Corvettes and they will be driven and raced.

It's a different group of buyers and as I said just above, don't expect the same

kind of volumes for a $150K Corvette as you see for today's front engine RWD version.

I'm suspecting that the knowledgeable over on GMI are right, they mostly see these engines

coming for several years bit this appeared from mo where and now the reference has been

taken down...I'd say it a typo, much like the one put out a few years ago when some of the

6.2 were IDed as OHC instead of OHV and set the internet on fire...Don't get your hopes up.

Edited by jpd80

Ford GT - +$400K = all sold and then some, could have asked even higher price.

Corvette -+$150K = do we really know how buyers will respond to that kind of price hike?

Either way, just don't expect the kind of sales volume Corvette sees today, it will be much lower.

Well see wont we? Will be interesting. I'm glad GM is doing a DOHC. Maybe it will force Ford to do more with their Coyote and Voodoo engines. I hope so.

Well see wont we? Will be interesting. I'm glad GM is doing a DOHC. Maybe it will force Ford to do more with their Coyote and Voodoo engines. I hope so.

Possibly and if it wedges the door open for another special project cars, then so be it.

I'm not so sure companies like GM should be spending so much on regular production cars heading into uncertain times...

Ford neatly avoided all the costs and liability of setting up production by giving that to Multimatic.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

You're still not getting it, the only vehicles you can cite are RWDs and a few very limited AWD TTV6s,

now compare that to that to the much broader delivery path of ford's Ecoboost V6s available in trucks,

SUVs and cars.

GM sells vastly more trucks then cars and remember how many cars can support a 5.3?. The Camaro is a given but the 6.2 do the same thing for the same theoretical price, Impala,Lacrosse,XTS?, the 3.6/3.6tt handles that. The "new" 3.5EB is in no fwd cars, the only the old 3.5EB is in the SHO, btw where's the EBv6 Mustang?.

It's not the same situation.

The DOHC 6.2 by its very nature is not just a top end conversion on an LS engine,

it's so much more than that and it's also why it will be limited to a very few customers.

From what was said the 6.2 was developed with DOHC plus you know not the cost in development. FCAs Hellcat didn't cost much in dovepment, why this?.

The TTV6 that Ford has developed is a very different animal and reaching so many more customers,

it's an evolution of an existing engine that's already sold close to a million copies in EB format.

And the 5.3 don't with a million of suv and trucks sold?.

The two are just not on the same ball park, GM has two very good TTV6s but jsut refuses to share them

wit Chevrolet and spread ths costs out among buyers, so this is an example of why I think that GM

will not apply the 6.2 DOHC to more than just a privileged few Corvette owners.

Probably, just like the 1st LT5 in 90'. Hopeful this engine would be a Escalade upgrade of some sort.

$150K Corvette?

only a fool would think the maybe up and coming vette will beat the FORD GT.wont happen.hell,people arent lined up around the corner now for that P.O.S. z06 that keeps over heating and blowing up. :happy feet: :hysterical:

• Like 1